PDA

View Full Version : New Call of Duty Studio Opened...

Jayhmmz
02-10-2011, 12:29 PM
"While other Activision franchises are dying, Call of Duty is still thriving. After revealing that it would cut the Guitar Hero franchise and True Crime: Hong Kong, the company also announced via its earnings call that it has created a new studio, Beachhead.

Beachhead is said to focus on "digital content" for the Call of Duty franchise. In practice, that means they will create an all-new digital content portal and community experience. This new "portal" has been in development for around a year and sounds in concept like a combination of ideas behind platforms like Valve's Steam and Halo Waypoint.

In other Call of Duty news, Activision revealed a free to play game specifically developed for the Chinese market with a micro-transaction driven business model in mind. So if you don't live in China, don't hold your breath.

In case you aren't keeping track, that's now five studios ( Infinity Ward, Treyarch, Raven, Sledgehammer, and now Beachhead) focused on the Call of Duty franchise alone."

Courtesy of IGN.com

Ilyich Valken
02-10-2011, 03:33 PM
Doesn't really surprise me. Honestly though, I don't know why they're keeping Raven.. they haven't put out a single successful game in the last year or more. They were responsible for the Wolfenstein mp, which was horrible, and Singularity (which wasn't horrible, but.. it failed pretty badly in marketing terms) and apparently some of the Black Ops DLC.

It'll be interesting to see what Beachhead comes up with and how they contribute to the behemoth.

EpsilonX
02-10-2011, 05:36 PM
5 studios for one series.....lolwhat?

while i still say this can be considered milking it, at least they're putting effort into the games instead of just "lets keep making them because people keep buying them!"

Jayhmmz
02-10-2011, 07:38 PM
5 studios for one series.....lolwhat?

while i still say this can be considered milking it, at least they're putting effort into the games instead of just "lets keep making them because people keep buying them!"

Well let's hope that's their train of thought!
However, they have three different development teams too... IW, Treyarch and now Sledgehammer! I have reason to believe that IW and Sledgehammer are working together on MW3 though...

I can't pretend not to be excited for MW3, because I really am... mainly just to see if they can get their game back on and produce like they used to.

EpsilonX
02-10-2011, 07:42 PM
wasn't this called "guitar hero gets cancelled" at first or something?

Jayhmmz
02-10-2011, 08:21 PM
wasn't this called "guitar hero gets cancelled" at first or something?

Nope. I created a new thread specifically for the announcement of a new Call of Duty studio, as you will be able to see if you look at the OP :)

Ilyich Valken
02-10-2011, 08:47 PM
I can't pretend not to be excited for MW3, because I really am... mainly just to see if they can get their game back on and produce like they used to.

I've heard that Sledge and IW are working on the Campaign side, while it was either.. Treyarch or Raven working on the Multiplayer side.. which, if it's Raven.. I have no hope for MW3, and Activision will have successfully screwed one of their flagship titles over.

Jayhmmz
02-10-2011, 08:58 PM
I've heard that Sledge and IW are working on the Campaign side, while it was either.. Treyarch or Raven working on the Multiplayer side.. which, if it's Raven.. I have no hope for MW3, and Activision will have successfully screwed one of their flagship titles over.

Urgh! This is terrible news! >_< GEEZUS.
They really need to play it smart, being as it's currently their most important franchise EVAR.

Flab-Ender
02-10-2011, 09:12 PM
I'm not sure on how I feel about this. Sounds very complicated and just too many things will be going on at once for any of them to get anything done.

Jayhmmz
02-10-2011, 09:41 PM
I'm not sure on how I feel about this. Sounds very complicated and just too many things will be going on at once for any of them to get anything done.

Indeed :(
There's a massive danger of people being on different wavelengths and when it comes to mashing it all together... UH OH.

Flab-Ender
02-10-2011, 09:45 PM
Indeed :(
There's a massive danger of people being on different wavelengths and when it comes to mashing it all together... UH OH.

Ya, i'm gonna be a little wary of the next Call of Duty, no matter what the previews tell.