PDA

View Full Version : Brand new or Second hand, difference??

No_Chance
09-06-2007, 02:20 AM
will it be better to buy an XBox 360 brand new or should i look at getting one second hand, pro's con's please?? money is not really to much of a problem, but a saving is always nice....

lonewolfxix
09-06-2007, 06:53 AM
For brand new:
You get a long warranty

You know roughly how long your console will last

You can get a free xbox live gold 1 month membership

You have a definitely good condition xbox

Against brand new:
Costs are really high

Not much choice in terms of games packaged

Less for the same money or more
--------------------------------------------------------
For used:
Cheap to buy

You get loads of games and accessories packaged

You can modify it without worrying too much about losing the warranty or breaking it as it cost less

Against used:
You don't get a warranty

You have no way to tell roughly how long the parts will last

The console can be in some way damaged be it cosmetic (e.g. drawing on the console/accessories) or physically damaged due to someone trying to modify or add in a new part

The console could be banned from Xbox Live service due to misbehaving players on that console.
----------------------------------------------

I hope this helps with your decision again :)

LiNuX
09-06-2007, 09:45 AM
well if you get a refurbished one they can give you a warranty just a little lower than the price of a new one which can come into very handy

lonewolfxix
09-06-2007, 09:51 AM
the warranty for a refurb only a little lower than buying a new one? might aswell just buy a new one and microsoft don't honour refurbs or supply them themselves. Going for a new one is a better bet. refurbished ones and used ones aren't expensive, if they break you either fix them yourself, get a friend to do it, or buy another/get a new tottally different next in line console.

The biggest fault with xbox 360's - as everyone knows, is the ring of death, which costs roughly $30 to fix yourself and a tiny bit of knowledge about firmware and how to properly unplug and handle equipment. alot of places will fix this for you for the fee of about $50-$70.

If you're not very technical or don't like the idea of regularly having to get it fixed (and paying for it to be fixed) it's probably your best bet to get a new one so you have that long warranty you can rely on from Microsoft who do offer pretty good support from what i've received in the past - much better than other companies i've had to get support from - but then again that comes down to who answers your call.

Scott
09-06-2007, 07:07 PM
Why don't you just get a new Elite. The old 360s are unreliable.

LiNuX
09-06-2007, 07:32 PM
heh..microsoft is different from what im used to with sony lol - they sell refurbished products

lonewolfxix
09-06-2007, 07:54 PM
Why don't you just get a new Elite. The old 360s are unreliable.

Scott, you're presumption of that fact is incorrect, the new Xbox 360 Elites are just as unreliable as the original Xbox 360, the only different is a new video output and 6x more harddrive space.
Although the price difference if you are considering a brand new premium, it is worth going for the Elite as it's not much more, it looks better and has more harddrive space - more demos and music!

Scott
09-06-2007, 07:59 PM
Scott, you're presumption of that fact is incorrect, the new Xbox 360 Elites are just as unreliable as the original Xbox 360, the only different is a new video output and 6x more harddrive space.
Although the price difference if you are considering a brand new premium, it is worth going for the Elite as it's not much more, it looks better and has more harddrive space - more demos and music!

Damn looks like those guys in the games store lied to me. They told me it was the best console you'd get in the next ten years.

The worst thing about getting preowned stuff. Is if the person before you was a smoker then your game / console will stink!... unless you smoke too

lonewolfxix
09-07-2007, 09:31 AM
I doubt you'd actually notice since most consoles sit quite low to the ground and smoke rises. :)
The best console for the next 10 years? Dude, they're releasing an xbox 360 ultimate next year with a 200gb harddrive and i think built in HD-DVD and the new xbox should be out in probably 4 years, it's probably under development right now. How can you believe that it's going to be the best console for 10 years? consoles will come out from the same firm on average every 6years looking at sony and every 4-5 years looking at microsoft

LiNuX
09-07-2007, 12:49 PM
They told me it was the best console you'd get in the next ten years.

wtf - technology is advancing too rapidly for that lol, you probably will get the best console until 2009 comes and thats about it - and im not just referring to the 360

Jasperking
09-08-2007, 07:59 PM
ye lol they will be bringing out the Ps4 in about 2-3yrs prolly lol and same for the xbox360. I even heard that sony already got sketches for the PS4 and PS5 lol

lonewolfxix
09-08-2007, 08:01 PM
They said that about the ps3 aswell it took them 3 years more than expected. Xbox 360 as far as i'm concerned was delivered on time.