PDA

View Full Version : Gamers-Forum IRC Trivia Night #4

LiNuX
03-04-2011, 12:06 PM
Gamers-Forum IRC Trivia Night (the fourth!)
March 20th, 5pm EST, in the Gamers-Forum IRC
Winner takes 500GFP!

The rules are the beautiful wall of text in the quote box below. They are ever-changing as we continue to make effective tweaks to the details of the trivia night's execution, so do us and yourself a favor and read them in their entirety so that there's little to no confusion the day of the trivia event!

Questions will be selected from four categories. Three of the categories will have questions of varying difficulty. There will be a 1, 3, 5, and 7 point questions for each of these categories (the 7 pointer being the most difficult question and the 1 pointer being the easiest question.) The fourth category will be a collection of miscellaneous questions of equal difficulty that are worth 3 points each.

The winner of the IRC Trivia night gets to pick what one of the categories will be on the next trivia night. Leftymode, who won our last trivia night, picked Physics as his category. The categories for this trivia night so far will be Technology, Physics, Gaming, and Miscellaneous.

I will ask questions in the IRC Channel and answers should be /msg'd to me. I will accept answers for fifteen seconds following the timestamp on my message containing the question. Any answers /msg'd to me after that timeframe will not be counted. Everyone gets one answer - the first /msg I receive from someone counts as their one and only answer. Any other answers or messages I receive after the first do not count.

Everyone that /msg's me the correct answer gets the points from that question. The first correct response I get will be awarded a bonus point. I will determine who had the first response based on which message my client received first. I will determine which responses were received within the time limit based on the times my client received them.

When we are going to write the next question in the IRC channel will moderate the channel (disallow anyone but those who are moderating the event to post messages to the channel.) We will then announce the category of the next question, the number of points of the next question, and I may make some snarky remarks while I have the floor and nobody can talk back to me. Finally, I'll announce the question and the instant my question is posted the 15 second timeframe for answers starts.

After the 15 seconds for the question have passed, I'll announce the answer, who got it right within the 15 seconds, and who got it first in the IRC channel. I will not respond to anybody's /msg's, I'll be far too busy to be able to. After every five questions, we will post the scores as they stand. We will also post the scores before the penultimate and final questions. The winner will soon after receive their 500GFP and be contacted to select a category for the next trivia night.

I'll see you all there!

The people currently signed up for this trivia night are:

Muffincat
Diligence109
LemonRising
Ilyich Valken
Jaykub
insert_cliche_here
HamadaLFC8

Muffincat
03-04-2011, 12:41 PM
Sign me up ^_^

Diligence109
03-04-2011, 01:25 PM
oh boy oh boy I get to participate in one of these suckers? You all aint ready for how much I'm about to dominate this sucker

sign me up! :d

edit: it occured to me that I'm a mod and it's my job to do things like update threads like this so I signed myself up. hurrrrrrrrrr

Muffincat
03-04-2011, 02:21 PM
Silly, you're in the IRC right now! :P ;D

paecmaker
03-04-2011, 02:25 PM
Silly, you're in the IRC right now! :P ;D

I got into it right after I posted the post.

Flab-Ender
03-04-2011, 03:52 PM
Whats the topic?

Muffincat
03-04-2011, 07:03 PM
The categories for this trivia night so far will be Gaming and Miscellaneous. Three more categories will be soon added.

Whats the topic?

You mean that?

paecmaker
03-05-2011, 02:31 AM
Sign me up too.

How do I find the IRC? I cant find it here. The last time(and only) I found it from a post but I cant find it again.

Diligence109
03-05-2011, 07:17 PM
How do I find the IRC? I cant find it here. The last time(and only) I found it from a post but I cant find it again.

the thread that contains information for the IRC is here (http://www.gamers-forum.com/showthread.php?t=13264).

Most of the mods (including me!) have links to that thread in their signatures, too

Flab-Ender
03-07-2011, 02:56 PM
You mean that?

Sorry, missed that.

And sure, go ahead and sign me up.

Diligence109
03-07-2011, 03:40 PM
Leftymode elected his category for this trivia night to be Physics - study up on Newton's laws, magnets, sound pressure and the like for the 20th!

paecmaker
03-08-2011, 03:19 PM
I just started wondering about the trivia night. We got 15 seconds to post an answer but whatabout time, Il explain. My internet is slow so there is maybe a difference in time.

I got the question and answer it within 15 seconds, you might get it far after 15 seconds due to range and bad connections.

just ask if you dont understand this.

LiNuX
03-08-2011, 03:21 PM
I'll be a little flexible with the 15 second limit but it will most definitely make it hard for you to respond first.

paecmaker
03-09-2011, 11:23 AM
I'll be a little flexible with the 15 second limit but it will most definitely make it hard for you to respond first.

You cant see in any way what the time was when I sent it cause I rather not have to press: this message was sent in 18.23, after every message. LOL

LemonRising
03-09-2011, 01:16 PM
IM IN
as usual ( :

Diligence109
03-09-2011, 02:29 PM
IM IN
as usual ( :

I was wondering what was taking you so long to sign up, you had me almost worried there for a second. I added you to the list :)

Ilyich Valken
03-09-2011, 10:37 PM
I might be able to get on, depends on what we're doing for my mom's birthday, I'll let one of you know if I can't.

LemonRising
03-10-2011, 12:08 AM
lmfao just been busy ;p
birthdays and watching my cousin and helping run an art club.

Jaykub
03-10-2011, 12:19 AM
Thought I already said it but I'm in!

LiNuX
03-13-2011, 10:56 AM
Some changes made to the set up. Instead of 5 categories with 3 questions each, we are doing 4 Categories with 4 questions each worth, 1, 3, 5, and 7 Points.

The four categories are: Technology, Physics, Gaming, and Miscellaneous.

Hope to see you all next week!

insert_cliche_here
03-15-2011, 08:41 AM
I might be there. 5pm for you guys is 8 on my Sunday morning, so I might set an alarm for it, or I might be all up in some crazy stuff (getting a few hours sleep between studying).

Can I say that I might, or do you need a definite yes or no?

LiNuX
03-15-2011, 10:03 AM
I might be there. 5pm for you guys is 8 on my Sunday morning, so I might set an alarm for it, or I might be all up in some crazy stuff (getting a few hours sleep between studying).

Can I say that I might, or do you need a definite yes or no?

Don't need a definite, just need you to try :) I put you down on the list - will be sending out reminders to everyone on the list.

insert_cliche_here
03-15-2011, 08:23 PM
Cool beans :D

Flab-Ender
03-15-2011, 10:02 PM
Sorry guys, i'm gonna have to take myself outta this thing. Got a soccer game to play.

paecmaker
03-16-2011, 01:49 AM
I dont know if I can cause my pc isnt home anymore and I dont know exactly when it come back:(

Just got a call, it wont be back in at least two weeks so you can sign me off.
Damn that computer>:(

HamadaLFC8
03-16-2011, 10:22 AM
I swear I posted in this before :S haha anyways count me in, not 100% sure tho!

LiNuX
03-17-2011, 11:46 PM
All the questions are ready, I'll be sending out a reminder tomorrow night or Saturday afternoon (my work schedule is crazy in the weekend) so hopefully I'll see everyone on the list (and more) there!

Diligence109
03-20-2011, 03:50 PM
This is happening in TEN MINUTES! If you're online now you should get into #gamers-forum (http://www.gamers-forum.com/showthread.php?t=13264) and fare with the rest of us for the 500GFP prize!

LiNuX
03-20-2011, 05:13 PM
Event was fun, here is the scoreboard:

Leica - 41
Muffincat - 19
Leftymode - 19
Diligence - 19
Ilyich - 10
Blackleo - 10
Hamada - 5
Jaykub - 5

leica
03-20-2011, 05:30 PM
yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
i'm back.

HamadaLFC8
03-20-2011, 05:31 PM
yey congrats!

High 5 Jaykub !!

Diligence109
03-20-2011, 08:59 PM
leica dominatin' as usual! Blackleo posted all the questions and answers from this trivia night (http://www.gamers-forum.com/showthread.php?t=18791) in case you're interested to see the questions in retrospect!