PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon Black/White

EpsilonX
03-06-2011, 10:21 PM
Does anybody have them yet? I got Black version earlier. HUGE improvement over Diamond and Pearl.

ROFLBRYCE
03-06-2011, 10:45 PM
Is it any good? I didn't like Ruby/Sapphire and on for games, barely convinced myself to buy Heart Gold. How does it fare to those? Also, can't take new pokemon seriously...saw a list and they're all just...not pokemon looking anymore.

Dess
03-07-2011, 12:10 AM
I got white, the roomie got black ^_^

Jayhmmz
03-07-2011, 03:36 AM
Also, can't take new pokemon seriously...saw a list and they're all just...not pokemon looking anymore.

I agree.
However I still want to buy myself a DS of some sort just to get it! So jealous of anyone playing it!

Dess
03-07-2011, 04:52 AM
I've been playing it at work most of the night... lol. It's pretty awesome... FIREPIG WILBER GO!!!!!

Ilyich Valken
03-07-2011, 08:02 AM
I've been playing it at work most of the night... lol. It's pretty awesome... FIREPIG WILBER GO!!!!!

Or as my friend calls the final evolution.. Ganonpig.

EpsilonX
03-07-2011, 09:47 AM
Some of the pokemon are a bit silly (like a 1-eyed bat that has a heart-shaped pupil) but it's fun so far. It's way better than Diamond and Pearl already, but idk if it'll get as good as the earlier ones. It's still worth playing, and the graphics/menus are all really nice.

Jayhmmz
03-07-2011, 10:28 AM
I want them to re-release a Pokemon game with all of the original Pokemon, so the graphics and gameplay are better.

EpsilonX
03-07-2011, 10:45 AM
I want them to re-release a Pokemon game with all of the original Pokemon, so the graphics and gameplay are better.

You mean....Fire Red/Leaf Green and Heart Gold/Soul Silver?

Jayhmmz
03-07-2011, 10:45 AM
You mean....Fire Red/Leaf Green and Heart Gold/Soul Silver?

I don't know, do I?

EpsilonX
03-07-2011, 02:36 PM
I don't know, do I?

Well, FireRed and LeafGreen are remakes of the original red and blue, but with better graphics and improved gameplay, for the gameboy advance. Heart Gold and SoulSilver are the same for the DS

http://www.just-rpg.com/upload/pics/dir30/pokemon5green.jpg

http://static0.channels.com/thumbnails/LetsPlayTarosan-Let-s-Play-Tarosan-presents--Pokemon-Heart-Gold-Soul-Silver--DS----Part-4--Vs--Silver-1-e11398424.jpg

Jayhmmz
03-07-2011, 03:06 PM
Ahh right ok, ty for info :)

I didn't know that they had re-made it for DS, as that's what I was implying by a remake, one specific to DS.

Muffincat
03-07-2011, 03:13 PM
What makes it so much better, Eps? o.o

I mean... it's Pokemon. They've been releasing the exact same game over and over again. How can it really improve that drastically? XD

EpsilonX
03-07-2011, 03:14 PM
Ahh right ok, ty for info :)

I didn't know that they had re-made it for DS, as that's what I was implying by a remake, one specific to DS.

well, the red/blue remakes are for the game boy advance, and have the same gameplay/engine/whatever (and unfortunately, moveset) as Ruby/sapphire (charmander learns iron tail :| ) and the Gold/Silver remakes are the same gameplay as Diamond/Pearl.

Like I said, you get newer moves in the remakes, but it's okay cuz you can run, and the graphics are improved, the item bag is updated, etc. You can play Red/Blue without dealing with the really unpolished areas (like having to press start, go to pokemon, and select "cut" in order to cut down a tree, instead you just go to the tree and press A. Also, you no longer can only hold 20 items which sucked in the original games) I like fire red and leaf green better than heart gold and soul silver, simply because Red and Blue are borderline unplayable in some aspects, Gold and Silver are still playable and enjoyable today, making the update not as necesarry.

Ilyich Valken
03-07-2011, 05:39 PM

I mean... it's Pokemon. They've been releasing the exact same game over and over again. How can it really improve that drastically? XD

Quite a bit, actually. HG/SS, while having many of the same/improved functions that are in D/P/Pt, they added quite a bit (being able to have the first Pokemon in your party follow you around) along with some gameplay features. Not to mention the facelift and slight updates from the original games.

I like fire red and leaf green better than heart gold and soul silver, simply because Red and Blue are borderline unplayable in some aspects, Gold and Silver are still playable and enjoyable today, making the update not as necesarry. That's not the point, though. They rereleased Gold and Silver on the DS to put the game back out there for the people that didn't play it when it was originally on the GBC.

EpsilonX
03-07-2011, 05:47 PM
That's not the point, though. They rereleased Gold and Silver on the DS to put the game back out there for the people that didn't play it when it was originally on the GBC.

well yea good point, but Red and Blue really needed a facelift.

Well, in diamond and pearl, you had to go through all this stupid stuff before you finally get your pokemon, and the world map was confusing (i can't tell you how many times i've gotten lost or didn't know what to do) In this one you get the pokemon right from the beginning, you're a bit older...idk, it just feels like they got rid of a few features that were holding the series back. It's still got the bad guy team that's trying to do something ridiculous and they keep stealing stuff. The menus and everything looks a lot better now too, and the battle screan is kinda gimmicky (the pokemon move around and the camera kinda looks around) but its a welcome change IMO. I can't really pinpoint anything as of yet, but overall the game just seems greatly improved from the past ones

edit: I just thought of some more. First off, Rock Smash isn't an HM anymore, which is awesome because the move is basically useless. Also, you can use TMs more than once, which at first is like "but thats the point of TMs" but I never wanted to use TMs cuz I always wanted to collect them all. Now I like that I can actually use them. I'm also really enjoying the fully 3D environments, instead of the past generation's sprite-based environments with 3D buildings and stuff. Pokemarts are inside of Pokemon Centers, which at first it's like "why you do that" but the 2 buildings being separate isn't really that important, and it's nice and convenient. Plus the gyms seem to be trying something new, like the first gym uses pokemon that are strong against your starter so you have to form a strategy, instead of just randomly putting different types. One of the things I didn't like about Diamond/Pearl is that you visit the towns out of order, this game is nice and streamlined (not FFXIII streamlined, but the towns you visit are in order, as opposed to D/P which had a lot of backtracking.) Of course, this is all how I see it. It could very well be that there is an equal amount of backtracking in D/P as there was in R/B, I just noticed it most in D/P.

Jayhmmz
03-07-2011, 05:48 PM
well, the red/blue remakes are for the game boy advance, and have the same gameplay/engine/whatever (and unfortunately, moveset) as Ruby/sapphire (charmander learns iron tail :| ) and the Gold/Silver remakes are the same gameplay as Diamond/Pearl.

Like I said, you get newer moves in the remakes, but it's okay cuz you can run, and the graphics are improved, the item bag is updated, etc. You can play Red/Blue without dealing with the really unpolished areas (like having to press start, go to pokemon, and select "cut" in order to cut down a tree, instead you just go to the tree and press A. Also, you no longer can only hold 20 items which sucked in the original games) I like fire red and leaf green better than heart gold and soul silver, simply because Red and Blue are borderline unplayable in some aspects, Gold and Silver are still playable and enjoyable today, making the update not as necesarry.

The improvements do sound yummy! :)
The last Pokemon I played was Silver :(

Muffincat
03-07-2011, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the info ;3

I probably won't be picking this up because I never play my DS anyway, but hmmmm.

EpsilonX
03-07-2011, 06:14 PM
http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/galleries/2010-06-28/pokemon-black-and-white-screens/pokemon-black-and-white-screens_1277745059.jpg

Dess
03-09-2011, 11:33 PM
Well.... it's official....

Pokemon White has taken over my life... lol. I play it at LEAST 8-10 hours a day... pretty much when I'm not sleeping... I'm playing it.... yeah....

also

Plus the gyms seem to be trying something new, like the first gym uses pokemon that are strong against your starter so you have to form a strategy, instead of just randomly putting different types.

If you go to the Dreamyard before you go to the gym, you get a Pokemon given to you that compliments your starter Pokemon. Like... I started out with Tepig, and was given Pansage. It helps with that gym because I was put up against the Water Gym Leader. It helps to adventure around the cities before you take on the gym. ^_^

EpsilonX
03-09-2011, 11:36 PM
It's very good, the only problem so far is that in each town so far, team plasma steals a pokemon and you gotta rescue it. its happened 3 times within the course of 3 or 4 cities, gettin old

Charlotte
03-13-2011, 09:51 PM
Try it and I like both version of black and white. Full of new mission and awesome map. Beautiful gameplay and gadget. Loving the adventure throughout the game. Ima collecting for more badges. :P

BobTD
03-14-2011, 04:18 AM
Thanks for the info ;3

I probably won't be picking this up because I never play my DS anyway, but hmmmm.

well then, sell it to me =P

I would be playing this right now like everyone I know, but I dont have a DS, my brother had two for some reason but he sold one and thats they one I liked to pretend was mine. =(

Muffincat
03-14-2011, 12:38 PM
well then, sell it to me =P

I would be playing this right now like everyone I know, but I dont have a DS, my brother had two for some reason but he sold one and thats they one I liked to pretend was mine. =(

How much you going to buy it for? XD I'll throw in Castlevania and Pearl/Diamond/whichever pokemon game it is I have XD

Raoul
03-25-2011, 11:49 AM
I have Pokemon White and Black but in both of them I don't get experience when I defeat the other pokemons I don't know why is it like this I was enjoy the way the game look and then in the end that made junk, because I could not level up :(

EpsilonX
03-25-2011, 12:01 PM
I enjoyed the game until the end, it got really convoluted and stupid...but it started off as one of the most fun games ive played in the series. *sigh*

I don't think i'm going to be getting any more pokemon games after this.

Ilyich Valken
03-25-2011, 12:22 PM
I enjoyed the game until the end, it got really convoluted and stupid...but it started off as one of the most fun games ive played in the series. *sigh*

I don't think i'm going to be getting any more pokemon games after this.

Lol you said you wouldn't even be getting this, so... trololol?

EpsilonX
03-25-2011, 12:37 PM
Lol you said you wouldn't even be getting this, so... trololol?

I was planning on getting it lol. I remember at one point saying I wasn't gonna but I planned on getting it for the most part. But I don't see any hope. I wish there was a more sandbox styled pokemon game.

Metallica1983
03-25-2011, 11:17 PM
it amazes me how Pokemon still has such a grip on our gaming people who are in their late teens and early twenties talking about whether or not they've gotten the new game I guess that's the power of Pokemon I for one may or may not get one of the new ones I think its time to put Pokemon behind me I've been a loyal fan for 12 years and I'm pushing twenty years of age. Pokemon Will always be one of my fondest memories

Dess
03-26-2011, 03:19 AM
it amazes me how Pokemon still has such a grip on our gaming people who are in their late teens and early twenties talking about whether or not they've gotten the new game I guess that's the power of Pokemon I for one may or may not get one of the new ones I think its time to put Pokemon behind me I've been a loyal fan for 12 years and I'm pushing twenty years of age. Pokemon Will always be one of my fondest memories

I'm almost 30 and I bought the new one... lol. Well... technically... both... of ... them...

<_<

Yuuki
03-28-2011, 12:34 PM
My boyfriend got Black and it looks suppppperrrr cool!
It seems more mature-ish (if that's the word..?) compared to the others.
I can't wait to get White.:D

Saph
04-15-2011, 08:11 PM
Someone explain pokemon black/white to me!?

I havn't been into Pokemon since I was a teenager, and honestly curious about how its going nowadays?

EpsilonX
04-15-2011, 09:42 PM
Good for spammers. We don't talk about spammers, remember?

Anyways, I got to the final boss of the game and no longer had any interest in finishing it. I've decided I didn't like black (did i already post this?)

Ilyich Valken
04-16-2011, 11:54 AM
Good for spammers. We don't talk about spammers, remember?

Anyways, I got to the final boss of the game and no longer had any interest in finishing it. I've decided I didn't like black (did i already post this?)

You still owe me my Victini and a Snivy/Oshowatt, sir.

EpsilonX
04-16-2011, 12:01 PM
You still owe me my Victini and a Snivy/Oshowatt, sir.

why do i owe you snivy/oshowatt?

Saph
04-16-2011, 12:09 PM
Cause you stole it, brah!!!

Ilyich Valken
04-16-2011, 12:16 PM
why do i owe you snivy/oshowatt?

Lol you said you'd breed em and give em to me.

EpsilonX
04-16-2011, 12:19 PM
Lol you said you'd breed em and give em to me.

oh haha. i thought you were like "i gave u pig guy so u gotta give me the rest foo" and im like lolwat

ZXDarknessfalls
04-26-2011, 02:00 PM
Someone explain pokemon black/white to me!?

I havn't been into Pokemon since I was a teenager, and honestly curious about how its going nowadays?

Not sure if you still need this explained.. But if you do id be glad to help so let me know.

BobTD
04-26-2011, 02:06 PM
Not sure if you still need this explained.. But if you do id be glad to help so let me know.

You should do a in depth xp value breakdown along with a version trade chart. I know you have it in you. =D

Also, I got my version today so you need to trade me some stuff.

ZXDarknessfalls
04-26-2011, 04:15 PM
I could.. But only if people really want it. What Bob want me to do I think is an EV break down actually, meaning effort value which decides which of your stats in any pokemon game goes up on what pokemon you want, because contrary to what some may think your stats do not all go up just because you level up. Apart from and in depth break down on how to train something for a max stat way higher than a pokemon not EV trained I have vast knowledge of many other things such as PKRS and so on. Sorta sad I know all this but my friends and I all turned pokemon into a very competitive game a while back : P

ROFLBRYCE
04-26-2011, 07:36 PM
I could.. But only if people really want it. What Bob want me to do I think is an EV break down actually, meaning effort value which decides which of your stats in any pokemon game goes up on what pokemon you want, because contrary to what some may think your stats do not all go up just because you level up. Apart from and in depth break down on how to train something for a max stat way higher than a pokemon not EV trained I have vast knowledge of many other things such as PKRS and so on. Sorta sad I know all this but my friends and I all turned pokemon into a very competitive game a while back : P

My gf was lucky enough to catch PKRS, heheh. Spread it to all my pokemon.

Do you have a good EV breakdown of B/W? I havn't been able to find any, havn't really trained EV's before, but wanna play a little competitively in White.

ZXDarknessfalls
04-26-2011, 08:06 PM
Well im gonna try and make this sorta short and if it doesnt help enough let me know and ill go into more detail. First off in Black and White pokemon have natures, be it hasty, timid so on. This has been in the other games also but this is Really important. What nature you have depends what stats bonus they get naturally. This can be found out really easy not because in B and W when you go to the description it says there nature but then also when you look at their stats it makes the ones affected by the nature different colors. Red is positive blue is negative.

There is No Way to only get a positive stat with a negative, the closest you can do to that is a neutral kind of nature in which case this in no positive or negative stat. I for example and raising Growlith with Plus attack minus special defense cause I want him to be a beat stick and dont intend for him to fight special move type pokemon. Next is the effort values I mentioned before. EV's come from pokemon when you beat them, certain pokemon give certain EV's and depending how many of those you get of a certain type depends what kind of stat bonus you get while you level up.

If you go to a pokemon site and look at a pokemons info a lot of sites with have what its effort value is, thats what you wanna look for when trying to train them. In B and W a patrat and lilypup give plus 1 effort value towards attack. Kill 4 of them and you have enough to raise your pokemons attack stat by one permanently by the time it reaches lvl 100.
Which is the next thing I should mention, it takes 4 ev's of one type to increase your stats in that area by 1 when you reach lvl 100. you can only get 505 ev's total (if I remember correctly) and only 252 can go into any one stat. This means you could put 252 ev's into your attack and speed which would make them both go up by 63 each by lvl 100. this is important when you wanna beat someone who isnt bad at the game because it means that even if you both have the same pokemon at the same lvl, if you ev train yours and he hasnt you will have a higher stat in 2 area's than he will (downside is he will be more well rounded in the end but that doesnt matter if your has more attack and speed and kills him in one hit anyway).

There are a lot of things that modify ev's also though, depending on what pokemon you kill depends on what ev and how many, PKRS on a pokemon you are training doubles your ev's when you train it, so a patrat would give you 2 ev's naturally and not one, then there are items that help you ev train in a certain area also, making it easy to sometimes get up to 6 ev's in a single pokemon battle. Lastly is that exp share also shares ev's. So your pokemon who actually fights gets the ev's for being in the fight but who ever has the exp share gets the same ev's also (unless the pokemon who is out has an ev boosting item, in which case the exp share pokemon gets less).

Its a lot to think about actually. If you have any questions let me know and ill be glad to help.

BobTD
04-27-2011, 11:00 PM
What that intimidating wall of text is saying is that what you fight determines your stat growth as demonstrated by this chart:

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/2528/paintbh.png

Im going to make ZXD post some base stat vs EV trained pokemon stats so you can get a clear idea of how much of an impact this really has. Also, this hidden mechanic that has been around even in the original red/blue is the reason rare candy pokemon are weaker.

ZXDarknessfalls
04-28-2011, 02:15 PM
Im going to make ZXD post some base stat vs EV trained pokemon stats so you can get a clear idea of how much of an impact this really has. Also, this hidden mechanic that has been around even in the original red/blue is the reason rare candy pokemon are weaker.

Good idea Bob, I will give more examples later but here is just one to start.

Arcanine
His life with no ev's (trained with rare candy) can be as low as 290. His life With ev training will go up to 384. Big difference.
Attack min is 225 with a max of 319.
Defence min 165, max 259
Sp atk min 205, max 299
Sp def min 165, max 259
and Speed min 195, max 289.
(all stats shown are when he would be at level 100)
So yea, it goes a long way to know how to ev train a pokemon.

SiC TwiSteD
05-05-2011, 07:00 PM
Actually contrary to popular belief, rare candies are alright for your pokemon, but only if you have fully EV trained them! Once your pokemon is fully EV trained rare candies can help you level it up and its stats wont be hurt at all.

Btw im one of Bob and ZXD's friends who can whoop them at pokemon:)

Exentenzed
05-05-2011, 08:17 PM
He probably means Red, blue and gold?

Anyway, isnt there a Pokèmon game with some decent graphics, maby even a 3rd person styled?

I want Full HD Battle effects if im ever gonna lay eyes on that franchise again. :P

ROFLBRYCE
05-05-2011, 08:24 PM
He probably means Red, blue and gold?

Anyway, isnt there a Pokèmon game with some decent graphics, maby even a 3rd person styled?

I want Full HD Battle effects if im ever gonna lay eyes on that franchise again. :P

;)

http://www.pimpmynintendo.com/images/pokemon-stadium-2-box-art.jpg

Exentenzed
05-05-2011, 08:25 PM
N64 O.o

Is there an Emulator for PC? XD

Edit: Nvm, Found one. :P

Edit,Edit: And now im playing it. XD
Thanks roflbryce.

Kenoi
05-06-2011, 08:35 AM
yo, I tried this game... its REALLY GREAT. I love it but sadly, I dont own it. not even a ds, well used to, but.. not anymore. uhhh I still gotta try out soul silver or somethin like that. the previous one?

ZXDarknessfalls
05-06-2011, 09:06 AM
Soul Silver by the way, is really really good.