PDA

View Full Version : How would you rate Cataclysm?

Saph
03-30-2011, 01:01 AM
How good do you think Cataclysm is in comparison to earlier expansions?

Is it your favorite? Your worst? Let us know!

And it'd help if you could state WHY you feel the way you feel about it, good or bad! Liked, not required =P

EDIT: I chose I think its good because I think that it is exactly that, good, not great. All of the new stuff with worgen and goblins and the new zones and such are all awesome, but it just looks like yet another wrath of the lich king with emphasis on the opposites from WotLK.

I feel the expansion is on par with WotLK in its ability to capture the eye and keep it there, but my favorite is by far Burning Crusade. It reminds me kind of like the first movie of what would become a movie with 2 sequels! Burning Crusade was the first movie, and the WotLK and Cataclysm are sequels to me. Burning Crusade blows it all away cause it was fresh, new, and exciting content! Blizzards problem is that ever since those days, they have stuck to that strategy, and after 2 expansions later, people are feeling like they're just stacking blocks ontop of it, trying to match it, but not out do it.

So I would call Cataclysm a potential savior from the utter failure of WOTLK and its lack of difficulty. I like how heroics and such in Cataclysm are almost 3 times as difficult to master as in WotLK! This gives the game depth, and challenge, and makes most come back. It also helps filtering out those people who simply cant or wont commit enough to put the effort into it enough to succeed in it.

This of course also has a side effect. With more difficulty comes more hopelesness, and people who give up will quit the game, making Blizzard lose money!

Its a difficult aspect the balance, with just the right amount of hard mode, while leaving space for the lesser gamers to have fun with their own level of difficulty as well!

So, for the somewhat good execution, and their obvious attempts at righting their wrongs in WotLK, I feel that Cataclysm deserves a solid Like, but they'll have to do better than that to get a great out of me again like they did with BC!

paecmaker
04-01-2011, 02:46 AM
Well, I dont play wow and cant say much of what I think its like to play it. But i can say that I think it was very brave to destroy the world and rebuild it. From what ive heard it seems though as they could have done more to make it more like a hole new experience.

Exentenzed
04-01-2011, 03:00 AM
they could have done more to make it more like a hole new experience.

This.

I felt that it lacked a lot. However the starting quests for both goblin and worgen where fun. :)

ROFLBRYCE
04-19-2011, 03:17 PM
Vanilla > Cataclysm > Lich King > TBC for gameplay.

I thought they really brought a new experience to the table. TBC was boring as hell, and Lich King was a big improvement over that. Re-levelling to 60 was a lot of fun, and I noticed so many new and fun changes that were brought in the Cataclysm. 80-85 was my fastest, and most fun leveling patch as well. I love everything end-game about Cataclysm (except PvP, never really liked it), and it's the only expansion I've been able to sit on and play through for hours and hours at a time.

Saph
04-19-2011, 06:49 PM
Did you enjoy Vashj'ir, bro? :p

I was so damned hyped when I got there, it was like OMFG UNDERWATER!!! I think I leveled from 80-82.5 just in that area XD.

The rest never really did much for me, just new leveling zones. Mt. Hyjal was interesting, but alittle disappointing considering that its been a zone that has been closed since day 1 and the zone that has had the most attempts of breaking and entering EVER. You know that more people have received perma bans for entering Hyjal before it was finished than any other!?

And it ends up becomming a cataclysm lvl 80-82 leveling zone. I was quite disappointed, they could've done AWESOME things with the place to make people feel it was worth the wait!

I just feel that WoW is getting more and more farming dependant. In vanilla you simply couldnt farm, you had to be BADASS to ever even dream of getting an epic gear piece, and nowadays, purple gear is given out like chili at a chili con carnival! Just showup a few times and its all yours! I don't like that...I miss vanilla for that, when the pros could be identified just from the outfit they were wearing! Now it all looks the same, I cant distinguish a badass end game raider with the best Tier gear available, from a newbie who just hit level 85 and got his starting gear a week ago. It all looks the same except for color differences -.- It sucks!

So eh, I'd say Cata is good, but it couldve deffinately been better.

ROFLBRYCE
04-19-2011, 10:34 PM
1. Did you enjoy Vashj'ir, bro? :p

2. The rest never really did much for me, just new leveling zones. Mt. Hyjal was interesting, but alittle disappointing considering that its been a zone that has been closed since day 1 and the zone that has had the most attempts of breaking and entering EVER. You know that more people have received perma bans for entering Hyjal before it was finished than any other!?

And it ends up becomming a cataclysm lvl 80-82 leveling zone. I was quite disappointed, they could've done AWESOME things with the place to make people feel it was worth the wait!

3. I just feel that WoW is getting more and more farming dependant. In vanilla you simply couldnt farm, you had to be BADASS to ever even dream of getting an epic gear piece, and nowadays, purple gear is given out like chili at a chili con carnival! Just showup a few times and its all yours! I don't like that...I miss vanilla for that, when the pros could be identified just from the outfit they were wearing! Now it all looks the same, I cant distinguish a badass end game raider with the best Tier gear available, from a newbie who just hit level 85 and got his starting gear a week ago. It all looks the same except for color differences -.- It sucks!

1. Never did Vash :p Plowed through Hyjal, Therezane, Twilight and one other I can't remember lol. No rep rewards for a 2H Frost DK, in Vash man!

2. Hyjal wasn't a disappointment for me. I started the WC series, unfortunately, at WC3. Playing Hyjal in WoW wrapped up a few loose threads I had wondered about, and it was by far the funnest zone to level through for me.

3. I don't feel it's a farm fest. It is, but it's not. The gear from Heroics and Raids is better than most craftable gear, so I ignore it and run the dungeons for fun. And it's easy to tell who's good and bad when your playing with them, looking at DPS charts and listening to some stupid strategies.

Keep running into this hunter in heroics with barely 333 gear (minimum heroic requirement, been there since 2 months ago...I've got better gear in 2 weeks of heroics, I quit for a month lol) who INSISTS upon not using his pet. Cause it's "not enough damage"....lot of stupider people on WoW, but it's a fun experience if you find people who know their stuff.

RAAAANNNNTTTTTTT done.

Saph
04-19-2011, 11:18 PM
About the hunter: PLEEEENTY of Huntards out there bro!!!

About Mt. Hyjal: Yeeeaaah I mean its an okay zone, by no means the worst, I still HATE Uldum -.- Absolutely dreadful zone! Did maybe 20 quests there at most, else I used it to farm Pyrite etc. and to find the instances I needed8)

If you wanna take a look at my chars before I grinded to an abrubt halt, here's a list:

Sapphina: lvl 85 orc shaman, Blackwater Raiders
Sapphirea: lvl 85 undead mage, Blackwater Raiders

I think those are my 85s, never got further then that >:( Cant wait to go back though!

My mage is pretty old, dates back a few years, while my shaman is even older, but she got to 85 later on :p My mage is like mid WotLK, and shaman used to be a draenei from the beginning of BC!

Other servers I've been on: Darrowmere, Hyjal(both sides)

Either way back to topic now!:cheesy:

Twilight is an awesome but fairly difficult zone, it still holds some bugs in need of fixing, but all around a good zone to be if you're ~1 level from 85, I dont think its a good idea to be there before that though, not sure if you even can?

This reminds me I need to continue my WoW guide :S completely forgot about it!!!

ROFLBRYCE
04-20-2011, 12:57 AM
About the hunter: PLEEEENTY of Huntards out there bro!!!

About Mt. Hyjal: Yeeeaaah I mean its an okay zone, by no means the worst, I still HATE Uldum -.- Absolutely dreadful zone! Did maybe 20 quests there at most, else I used it to farm Pyrite etc. and to find the instances I needed8)

Twilight is an awesome but fairly difficult zone, it still holds some bugs in need of fixing, but all around a good zone to be if you're ~1 level from 85, I don't think its a good idea to be there before that though, not sure if you even can?

Too many hunters out there...but just saying this one was stupider than normal haha. For any class. It's like a lock not using a minion, or a warrior spamming "Shoot" with a crossbow for DPS.

Uldum was my 2nd favorite Cata zone. Not a fan of grinding Therazane rep, but whatever it needs to be done...need my enhancement pieces.

I went to Twilight halfway through 84 and just got the last half of my level there, wasn't a bad zone really. Was a little boring, more "Kill x amount of y" quests, and "Go to point A, talk to them" quests than normal, but easy peesy exp.

Check out Puffymuffins, gnome death knight on Suramar. Ignore my agi ring lol...I know I messed up... But yeah, starting to do heroics and that's what I'm looking like. Just need a bit more work till I'm raiding casually.

paecmaker
04-20-2011, 03:07 PM
OMG hardcore wow talk, I think my brain will rupture of all the information.

ROFLBRYCE
04-20-2011, 07:58 PM
OMG hardcore wow talk, I think my brain will rupture of all the information.

Just be sure to get someone to clean up the mess

Saph
04-20-2011, 08:13 PM
Just be sure to get someone to clean up the mess

This...

Don't get me started on the hardcore stuff, bro. After 6 years of playing WoW at end game level I can go into statistics and calculations on what the best hit rating margin vs. the best haste rating parred with mastery rating would be when taking critical strike chance and expertise into consideration XD After having been a Raid team 1 dps in Forgotten Aspects, core healer in Bonzo Dog, and Main core tank for Advent Fury, all while being a class master, counsillor, officer, co GM, even GM on 2 occasions, I know plenty on the part of WoW that few actually know about XD I chop that game to pieces to get as close to perfection as possible!

You all know Ciderhelm? Voted the best WoW tank in America? Yeah, that dude said "couldnt have done it better myself" to me after I posted a video of me tanking 25 man Kel'thuzad with my DK ^_^

ROFLBRYCE
04-20-2011, 11:13 PM
You all know Ciderhelm? Voted the best WoW tank in America? Yeah, that dude said "couldnt have done it better myself" to me after I posted a video of me tanking 25 man Kel'thuzad with my DK ^_^

Don't know him, but grats bro. Any hints and tips on DK tanking? Not sure if I wanna gear my DK main right now for tanking (Which would take forever probably) or just start fresh on a new server.

Wouldn't want to start tanking in end game dungeons anyways xD

Saph
04-20-2011, 11:24 PM
Ah dude I havnt been a tank since then. Nowadays I'm just a shaman healer and a mage DPS, I dont have a tank anymore :) I mean I tanked when the DK tank spec was frost and not blood :laugh:

ROFLBRYCE
04-21-2011, 12:42 AM
Ah dude I havnt been a tank since then. Nowadays I'm just a shaman healer and a mage DPS, I dont have a tank anymore :) I mean I tanked when the DK tank spec was frost and not blood :laugh:

Dayum man. I'm currently Frost DW DPS, but wouldn't mind learning how to tank DK. I've never, EVER. Seen a DK tank post-Cata launch. Before laucnh I only ever saw 3 :S

Saph
04-21-2011, 12:56 AM
It wasnt exactly the best choice, thats why I stopped, they had alot wrong with them that made them lesser tanks than say paladins or warriors. I used to be a Warrior tank in vanilla, at level 60 I was the warrior tank most people wanted :) Although I decided to give a short break when school started again and when I came back I had been forgotten, switched out with more active tanks, but hay, I had my stardom on WoW with a server chuck full with people begging me to come tank something XD Was fun for as long as it lasted.

But nah dude DKs were never the best tanks, still arent far as I know, I really don't know.

ROFLBRYCE
04-21-2011, 09:30 AM
But nah dude DKs were never the best tanks, still arent far as I know, I really don't know.

Seem to handle aggro and get control if one slips fairly easily. But whatevah. Maybe I'll start a DK on another server and try it out.

Daxter
05-09-2011, 11:41 PM
I quit when Cataclysm came out. I like how they were bringing back old content (sort of) but I think it would've been better if they had just expanded a bit more.

It seems way too casual for me now a days. I guess that helps them with sales and intrigues a wider array of new players, but for us that have been playing since Vanilla it's gotten old. Nothing is hard anymore.

ROFLBRYCE
05-10-2011, 12:41 AM
I quit when Cataclysm came out. I like how they were bringing back old content (sort of) but I think it would've been better if they had just expanded a bit more.

It seems way too casual for me now a days. I guess that helps them with sales and intrigues a wider array of new players, but for us that have been playing since Vanilla it's gotten old. Nothing is hard anymore.

The end game is where the challenge is at. Some of the heroics and raids they're pushing out are giving people a ton of problems.

To get to 85 however, is ridiculously easy. I remember 15-20 taking me 12 hours in game to do! Now I can get it in 4 instances which will take me half an afternoon. It's all to get people to that end-game content though, because if it took 10-20 days game time like it took most people on their first toons to just 60, let alone 85, the player base would be a lot lower and there would be a lot less re-rolls.

Daxter
05-10-2011, 02:38 AM
the player base would be a lot lower and there would be a lot less re-rolls.

You say that like it's a bad thing.
It would be nice to actually have some competition still.

Also everyone now a days seems to have at least 4-5 max level chars. It's ridiculous IMO.

ROFLBRYCE
05-10-2011, 09:03 AM
You say that like it's a bad thing.
It would be nice to actually have some competition still.

Also everyone now a days seems to have at least 4-5 max level chars. It's ridiculous IMO.

It is a bad thing. There's not nearly as many players that stuck around since Vanila, and although it is a bit more of a challenge to find decent players it's really rewarding.

The only people with 4-5 alts are those that know how to play the game, and well. The only thing I don't like about Cata is how it seems it's all around farming, and instead of using the AH and other players, people re-roll with different professions. THATS the only thing bugging me about multiple chars, is when people do it for that.

Mizel
06-08-2011, 12:16 PM
I think Cataclysm has some good and bad features... I dont like how the game is becoming so simple, blizzard is catering more and more to casual players and making the game easier and easier... But I do like some new changes as well like how they brought back ZA/ZG, and I actually like the new dungeons and some of the redone zones.

Jayhmmz
06-08-2011, 12:20 PM
I think Cataclysm has some good and bad features... I dont like how the game is becoming so simple, blizzard is catering more and more to casual players and making the game easier and easier... But I do like some new changes as well like how they brought back ZA/ZG, and I actually like the new dungeons and some of the redone zones.

The changes to the difficulty of the game really annoyed me and my other friends who were more of a fan of vanilla WoW and TBC, as after all of our hard work was put into getting new gear, you could suddenly obtain the gear so much easier when WotLK was released, and onwards.

Mizel
06-08-2011, 12:27 PM
The changes to the difficulty of the game really annoyed me and my other friends who were more of a fan of vanilla WoW and TBC, as after all of our hard work was put into getting new gear, you could suddenly obtain the gear so much easier when WotLK was released, and onwards.

Yea exactly, its very disappointing. Id say I hope that it gets better but Im not holding my breath :P

Jayhmmz
06-08-2011, 12:31 PM
Yea exactly, its very disappointing. Id say I hope that it gets better but Im not holding my breath :P

My breath for WoW has now been exhaled! I lost my patience with it, and I was sick of the same old, same old levelling! So, because of this, I didn't get Cataclysm. If I would have bought the game, then it would have been for the wrong reason; I would have only wanted it to explore, and not to level... it would have been a waste of my money in that respect.

Come to think of it, I don't think any of my friends who used to play WoW actually play it any more!

Mizel
06-08-2011, 12:34 PM
My breath for WoW has now been exhaled! I lost my patience with it, and I was sick of the same old, same old levelling! So, because of this, I didn't get Cataclysm. If I would have bought the game, then it would have been for the wrong reason; I would have only wanted it to explore, and not to level... it would have been a waste of my money in that respect.

Come to think of it, I don't think any of my friends who used to play WoW actually play it any more!

haha, I do not blame you one bit :P I continue to play only because I dont feel like Ive done everything yet... On my way to getting one of each class to 85 :P And since almost all of my years playing WoW have been spent on my favorite thing, PvP, I think I need to test the raiding waters a little before Im done ;)

Jayhmmz
06-08-2011, 01:02 PM
haha, I do not blame you one bit :P I continue to play only because I dont feel like Ive done everything yet... On my way to getting one of each class to 85 :P And since almost all of my years playing WoW have been spent on my favorite thing, PvP, I think I need to test the raiding waters a little before Im done ;)

Raiding is massive fun! Because so many of my friends played the game, it was pretty easy for me and the lads/girls to organise a guild, and with that came lots of raiding :)

Mizel
06-08-2011, 02:02 PM
Raiding is massive fun! Because so many of my friends played the game, it was pretty easy for me and the lads/girls to organise a guild, and with that came lots of raiding :)

I hear raiding is loads of fun just never got into it so much since I was always PvPing :P But yes guild raids are soooo much better then PUGS hah, def the way to go ;)

Jayhmmz
06-08-2011, 02:07 PM
I hear raiding is loads of fun just never got into it so much since I was always PvPing :P But yes guild raids are soooo much better then PUGS hah, def the way to go ;)

Indeed they are much better than PUGS, however, they can be just as stressful :P

Mizel
06-08-2011, 02:16 PM
Indeed they are much better than PUGS, however, they can be just as stressful :P

Oh thats for sure.... thats why I make sure any guild Im in consists of people that are laid back like me :P I dont get mad or frustrated over things like that like some people do... being in a guild full or hardcore players that flip if you wipe once is not for me :]

Exentenzed
06-08-2011, 02:17 PM
I bought Cataclysm only to get my character to level 85, so i could PvP.

Buuuut, i got to it 83 and concluded that even though the changed mechanics put some fun back into it, i am essentially done with World of Warcraft. :)

Mizel
06-08-2011, 02:25 PM
I bought Cataclysm only to get my character to level 85, so i could PvP.

Buuuut, i got to it 83 and concluded that even though the changed mechanics put some fun back into it, i am essentially done with World of Warcraft. :)

Done... with WoW... I dont understand? Theres life beyond it?! Haha no matter how many other games I play I cant bring myself to drop it completely... although I do go through month long phases where I rarely play :P

Exentenzed
06-08-2011, 02:27 PM
Hehe, yea i had those phases myself. :)

I don't know, i think it was the repetition of it all that got to me in the end. :)

Mizel
06-08-2011, 02:38 PM
Hehe, yea i had those phases myself. :)

I don't know, i think it was the repetition of it all that got to me in the end. :)
Oh I can totally relate to that- which is exactly why when I have leveled each char to 85, I know Ill be done :P

Exentenzed
06-08-2011, 03:53 PM
Until another expansion comes out right? :P

Mizel
06-08-2011, 05:02 PM
Pretty much :D