PDA

View Full Version : Help Me All Online Shooters

MrFun
03-30-2011, 01:41 AM
When I play online shooter games I always seem to have issues with what I see happening on my screen and what REALLY happens. I see myself shoot 7 shots that are accurate and my target player in the heat of combat sees me shooting "maybe" 7 shots that are no where on target. They however can shoot me twice and I am dead. Does anyone have any hardware or software tech that might help me out?
This happens in pretty much all shooter games that I play. I have considered my router and I have bypassed it with no change, I have disabled any active services including anti-virus and firewalls with no results.

Saph
03-30-2011, 02:03 AM
It sounds to me like you have a pretty high Ping count?

If you live far away from where the game server is, you might get a high ping and thus look like you're shooting at a target, but youre infact turned in a different direction, thats if its really bad.

Im not sure if theres much you can do about it, getting a better connection to the internet I believe is the best way to do it.

But I'm not an expert, someone else might actually be able to help you out with it!

Sorry I couldnt be of any more assistance =(

MrFun
03-30-2011, 05:40 PM
Thanks for at least the reply. I have a 4 meg upload speed and a 12 meg download speed. The COD servers I have played on are East coast at about 200 ping and the APB beta server that I currently play on is West Coast and I get a 200ish ping to that too and I live in Oregon.

Saph
03-30-2011, 06:37 PM
What game is it exactly? Cause it might be the game that has a bug.

Crysis 2 for example has reported a connection bug that someone on this forum has exclaimed about.

So what game is it?

Exentenzed
03-30-2011, 07:03 PM
Exclaimed.... Hmm, I learned a new word today! :D

Also, Try this out to test your Network speed and report back :)

http://www.speedtest.net/

MrFun
03-31-2011, 12:00 AM
I have to make 10 posts before I can paste a URL or link or image hah.

speedtest says
18.97 down
3.50 up

The games I have problems with are pretty much ALL online games no matter where the server. But the one that I am frustrated with currently is APB Reloaded and Call of Duty.

I was wondering if it might be something wrong with the on board network card or maybe one of the "Killer Nic" cards could help? I am at a complete loss at this point I've tried the Nagle's algorithm tweek. Nothing has seemed to change. I can download 700m to 1g files in just a few short mins and I seem to have better connection speeds than most people I know. However when it comes to action games online everything seems to lag.

EDIT: I ran another test from where I live in Oregon to where the APB servers are located in central CA, and my ping was 76. While playing APB Reloaded my ping is still 190-250.

Saph
03-31-2011, 12:07 AM
I have to make 10 posts before I can paste a URL or link or image hah.

speedtest says
18.97 down
3.50 up

The games I have problems with are pretty much ALL online games no matter where the server. But the one that I am frustrated with currently is APB Reloaded and Call of Duty.

I was wondering if it might be something wrong with the on board network card or maybe one of the "Killer Nic" cards could help? I am at a complete loss at this point I've tried the Nagle's algorithm tweek. Nothing has seemed to change. I can download 700m to 1g files in just a few short mins and I seem to have better connection speeds than most people I know. However when it comes to action games online everything seems to lag.

EDIT: I ran another test from where I live in Oregon to where the APB servers are located in central CA, and my ping was 76. While playing APB Reloaded my ping is still 190-250.

Wait you have a stock on board network card? Dude I think we might have found the problem, possibly!

I used to have an on board network card, and I had the laptop for maybe 7 months and my connection started getting worse and worse until I no longer got any signal whatsoever. I switched it out with a USB port network stick and I got 5 bars instantly!

I would deffinately vote that your network card is slowing down, dude!

MrFun
03-31-2011, 02:03 PM
Maybe? But me isn't wireless. Think that'd make a big difference? Would you recomend a "Killer Nic" ? or is there another gamer network card out there?

NOTE: I am at 4 posts now, almost high enough to post a link! (this one would make 5)

Jayhmmz
03-31-2011, 02:05 PM
NOTE: I am at 4 posts now, almost high enough to post a link! (this one would make 5)

You're not allowed to double post, so you're going to be back down to 4, I'm afraid. Read the rules.

paecmaker
03-31-2011, 02:06 PM
You know, they dont really like double posts here so if you want to make any changes or late inlays you can use the edit button.:)

Ps: damn you jay, I thought I where so fast and you get just in front off me.

MrFun
04-02-2011, 01:47 AM
Yes so I see! I have been officially flogged!

I have also recently tried: Nagle's algorithm - but it hasn't helped either. If anyone else out there is interested in improving your ping it does help, just not enough. (efficient not effective).

jaseleung
08-10-2011, 04:02 AM
cheer up mate! try sth new in this world. not just FPS shoot shoot shoot!