PDA

View Full Version : Hey All

Synge
04-06-2011, 01:41 AM
Hi folks.

So, seeing as this is a gaming specific forum, I'll guess I'll start there. I'm a huge Final Fantasy and Zelda fan, have played through most of the games in both series and a good portion of my 'Top Games' list would contain titles from those series.. Even so, I'm primarily a PC gamer and most of my gaming time is spent with that platform.

As far as non-game related things and hobbies go: I'm a 20 y/o Kansas Citian college student, musician, fitness nut, paintballer and ATV enthusiast. So that's me in a nutshell, and I really dislike introductions so I'll just wrap this up by sayin it's nice to be here and I'll see ya around. :)

paecmaker
04-06-2011, 04:29 AM
Welcome to gamers forum mate. I hope you will enjoy it here.:)

Jayhmmz
04-06-2011, 04:41 AM
Well in regards to your introduction, you're doin' it right :)
Welcome to the forum mate, I hope you stick around for the banter.

Synge
04-06-2011, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the welcome dudes.

By the way, I'm assuming I need a certain number of posts or need wait to however long, but when do I get access to my UCP options? I hate thread subscriptions..

W1CKEDTW1STED
04-06-2011, 05:55 PM
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_vNPqpVXjVg8/TN1uLVnOK2I/AAAAAAAAAeM/z_1nfoIH3g8/rhwelcome.jpg

Read the rules (http://gamers-forum.com/showthread.php?t=16470), enjoy your stay, everyone (http://www.gamers-forum.com/memberlist.php) here is pretty (http://www.gamers-forum.com/showthread.php?t=2550) awesome and friendly. Also, be sure to check out Gamers-Forum IRC (http://www.gamers-forum.com/showthread.php?t=13264)!

WafflesMcGee
04-06-2011, 06:01 PM
Hey, welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy it here

Saph
04-06-2011, 06:39 PM
Welcome to Gamers-Forum.com! =)

Let me break this down to you:

We do what we do cause we're good at it, and what we're NOT good at is recon missions, so if you lack behind, youre on your own.

Scare-the-noob joke has ended ^_^

Jk bro :p Welcome! Hope you'll like it here! Just read the rules, follow them, and have fun!!! Lots of nice people here to get to know! ^_^

Raoul
04-07-2011, 03:38 AM
Hey there welcome to this forum enjoy your stay and make sure that you please read the rules and hae fun posting and we are looking forward to seeing more of your posts:D

Muffincat
04-07-2011, 11:01 AM
Welcome! Seems like you've posted a bit already :)

I'm a big fan of Final Fantasy, myself :3

If you have any questions, just ask - we're rather friendly! :)

edit: oh, and visit us in our IRC channel!

LiNuX
04-07-2011, 11:06 AM
Welcome! Glad to see you're fitting in well. Hope to see you around more.

HamadaLFC8
04-07-2011, 11:53 AM
Welcome to Gamers Forum!!! Thumbs up for Paintballing ;)

Jaykub
04-07-2011, 12:33 PM
Welcome to Gamers-Forum!

Nice to see another Legend of Zelda fan around here.

Synge
04-07-2011, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome everybody :)

This is definitely one of the more friendly forums I've had the pleasure of joining; I'm sure I'll stick around.

DirtyDMan
04-07-2011, 07:21 PM
welcome to the forums dude and ff 7 is my favorite ff game... Yet I havent played ff since ff8...

Saph
04-08-2011, 08:15 AM
I havnt played a single FF game yet, but I talked with Muffin a week or so back, and I've decided to give FF8 a try :D

Synge
04-08-2011, 02:36 PM
FF7-10 are must plays IMO. Some might say to pass on 9 but don't listen to em, it's way underappreciated. VI is highly praised as well, but if you care a whole lot about graphics you might not wanna bother.

EpsilonX
04-08-2011, 02:43 PM
I havnt played a single FF game yet, but I talked with Muffin a week or so back, and I've decided to give FF8 a try :D

I really don't know why you'd start with 8 to be honest. A lot of the mechanics are quite frustrating

Saph
04-08-2011, 04:49 PM
What do you propose?

Synge
04-08-2011, 05:50 PM
I know that wasn't directed at me but...

Start with 10. It's one of the best games I've ever played: Awesome story, great battle system, memorable characters, beautiful graphics. However, I'm not sure if it's been made clear to you, FF games are about as linear as they come. That's not a con in my book because this game is so heavily story based that it really coudn't be done any other way.. I just read somewhere on the forum that you're not much a fan of restrictions, so that might be something to consider.

Saph
04-08-2011, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the feedback, bud! =)

I also heard that FF series is not storybased parsay, meaning that each game dont follow up the former, like each FF game has its own story?

This makes it alittle easier to just jump into one of them I guess? I wont lose much if I decide to jump in late?

And you are correct, I do not like restrictions, but I also wrote that I honestly like all genres, but like any good gamer, I have prefferences, and those I just WILL not play.

Games I will NOT! play under ANY circumstances are sports games.

Games I preffer are limitless RPGs.

But since so many people enjoy FF, even those who think like me, the games must have SOMETHING good about them! :D

Synge
04-08-2011, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the feedback, bud! =)

I also heard that FF series is not storybased parsay, meaning that each game dont follow up the former, like each FF game has its own story?

This makes it alittle easier to just jump into one of them I guess? I wont lose much if I decide to jump in late?

No problem man. You're correct, all FF games have separate storylines with the exception of X-2 and upcoming XIII-2 which are direct sequels. By story based I meant, the game's main focus is its own individual story, and the events that unfold.

Games I will NOT! play under ANY circumstances are sports games.

Games I preffer are limitless RPGs.

But since so many people enjoy FF, even those who think like me, the games must have SOMETHING good about them! :D
Haha, I'm not a big fan of sports games myself, I'd much rather play the sport physically.

And yup, FF is one of the few JRPG series that appeals to a pretty broad audience. Even with a bit of a distaste towards restricted RPGs, they're worth a try for sure.

Saph
04-08-2011, 06:18 PM
Is anyone actually capable of explaining the bare bare basics of the FF storyline? Like WHAT is the point of the game in almost every game?

Explain alittle about it! =) A review would be great too!

Jayhmmz is that something youre capable of?

Muffincat
04-08-2011, 06:41 PM
I suggested 10 as the easiest to get into, as well XD I said I personally love 9 and that 8 is good, and you could try 7 since it's very well-loved, but advised you towards FF10 :P I think it would be a great place to start... and a lot of people hate 8 and 9 (because those people are dumb :|)

As for what they are generally about? Saving the world from evil, pretty much. XD

edit: just re-read Synge's post from earlier and I am so happy that you don't think 9 is awful ;D

Synge
04-08-2011, 06:42 PM
How they're played out is different with each game. I guess the point would be to save the world from the bad guy all powerful force of destruction, like just about every RPG. But that's just the backbone. FF:X will pull you in a lot of different directions, drags you in like a good book.

Gamespot's Review (http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/finalfantasy10/review.html?tag=summary%3Bread-review)

EDIT:

I suggested 10 as the easiest to get into, as well XD I said I personally love 9 and that 8 is good, and you could try 7 since it's very well-loved, but advised you towards FF10 :P I think it would be a great place to start... and a lot of people hate 8 and 9 (because those people are dumb :|)

As for what they are generally about? Saving the world from evil, pretty much. XD

edit: just re-read Synge's post from earlier and I am so happy that you don't think 9 is awful ;D

Right on! I love 9, it's one of the funnier in the series as well.

I about died when Quina and Vivi got married.

EpsilonX
04-08-2011, 06:45 PM
Let me put it this way. Playing final fantasy games in order is like playing Devil May Cry, then God of War, then Heavenly Sword. Similar games but they all do their own thing yknow? Different settings, different characters, different storylines, different time periods, plots in the main series don't cross over at all (final fantasy 7 and 12 have sequels though, and 13 is getting one this year, as well as there being a bunch of spin-offs like tactics and crystal chronicles that are, as far as i know, related)

Just don't start with 8. It's weird, because leveling up is actually BAD in that game, you make your characters stronger by extracting spells from creatures and these spell extract points, and then you equip them to your stats. Some spells work best in some stats, and the more of a spell you have the stronger it is. It's really quite dumb. It's by no means a bad game though, just not the first FF game somebody should play. I would recommend you start with either 7 if you ignore the graphics, 9, or 10. 12 is the most open of the FF games that i've played, but a lot of people don't like the gameplay (gameplay is actually very similar to dragon age origins I think, except you level up differently. I rather like the grid system. You gain points after every battle, and you use these points to unlock squares on this grid, and there are 2 grids. one grid has squares that when you unlock it it lets you equip 1-3 items listed on that square, and the other grid gives you more abilities such as hp + 50 or increases your attack power) also, the audio/video is really compressed and the story sucks.

tl;dr: ff8 is really weird, start with 7, 9, or 10. FF12 is probably the most open one though, but a lot of people didnt like it.

Anyways, welcome synge lol

Muffincat
04-08-2011, 06:45 PM
Also, eps, I don't think the mechanics of 8 are frustrating at all o.o

However I do think it's probably not the best one to start with. It's a good one to play if you start getting into the series in general.

edit: 12 is "open" but boring as all hell. :P

and leveling in 8 isn't BAD, persay :/ They level up with you, but that doesn't mean it's BAD... it just means that you have to actually play the game instead of mindlessly leveling up to beat something. It's the most interesting mechanic of all of the games, anyway.

EpsilonX
04-08-2011, 06:50 PM
Also, eps, I don't think the mechanics of 8 are frustrating at all o.o

However I do think it's probably not the best one to start with. It's a good one to play if you start getting into the series in general.

edit: 12 is "open" but boring as all hell. :P

and leveling in 8 isn't BAD, persay :/ They level up with you, but that doesn't mean it's BAD... it just means that you have to actually play the game instead of mindlessly leveling up to beat something. It's the most interesting mechanic of all of the games, anyway.

Most people I've talked to about ff8 think the mechanics are frustrating, or at least annoying. And yes leveling up is sorta bad because the enemies get stronger the higher level you are, but you don't really gain much every time you level up. You could be the lowest level possible in the game but have all the best spells equipped and absolutely dominate the game, but if you're a really high level you'll be a bit stronger, but your enemies will be a lot stronger. That's how it worked for me though

Jayhmmz
04-08-2011, 07:28 PM
Is anyone actually capable of explaining the bare bare basics of the FF storyline? Like WHAT is the point of the game in almost every game?

Explain alittle about it! =) A review would be great too!

Jayhmmz is that something youre capable of?

No mate, I'm not a fan of the FF games.. tbh, never gave them a chance.

EpsilonX
04-08-2011, 08:07 PM
"Is anyone actually capable of explaining the bare bare basics of the FF storyline? Like WHAT is the point of the game in almost every game?"

You're a random guy, you make friends, you save the world from some ultimate evil.

Saph
04-08-2011, 08:41 PM
No mate, I'm not a fan of the FF games.. tbh, never gave them a chance.

No problem, bro, I can't say I will either, atleast not yet, who knows, if I like the game enough, I might play most of them, and be the one to write the reviews :p

But thats in the distant future, I might just end up hating them like you do, I honestly dont know.

And since I clearly remembered the convo I had with muffin wrong(cause she was pretty much juggling FF V, VI, VII, VIII, VIIII, X, and XI around and I was trying to keep up but in the end I was like WHAAAAA!?:shocked:), I think I'll go with her fresh-in-mind advice and do FFX :D

Muffincat
04-08-2011, 08:54 PM
No problem, bro, I can't say I will either, atleast not yet, who knows, if I like the game enough, I might play most of them, and be the one to write the reviews :p

But thats in the distant future, I might just end up hating them like you do, I honestly dont know.

And since I clearly remembered the convo I had with muffin wrong(cause she was pretty much juggling FF V, VI, VII, VIII, VIIII, X, and XI around and I was trying to keep up but in the end I was like WHAAAAA!?:shocked:), I think I'll go with her fresh-in-mind advice and do FFX :D

Yeah sorry if I confused you XD

I think FFX is a solid choice for your first pick :) It's really well-received by most people, and it had me in tears tbh o:

paecmaker
04-09-2011, 01:53 AM
Im a little confused here, when did this turn into a FF thread?

Saph
04-09-2011, 03:48 PM
Cause Synge said he liked FF! :)

It is valid, bro!!!