PDA

View Full Version : Psn

Brav0snow
04-28-2011, 08:12 AM
So unless you have been living under a rock.

PSN was hacked.

A class action law suit has been started.

Anyone else get the feeling this has only just begun and the fallout is going to be felt all year?

ROFLBRYCE
04-28-2011, 09:25 AM
PSN won't be restored anytime soon, not with all the confidential data of users being at stake. If there was a ton of user data deleted server side, there's no telling how long it would take to recover, or if it even could.

And with the law suit, I doubt they'd throw PSN back on until all that nasty business is over, which could take until the start of the winter.

The only thing I'm upset about personally is that Steam won't let me activate Portal 2 without hooking up to PSN/Steam. I'm glad I'm a 360 player, but it's still really crappy about PSN down. I know I'd hate it if it was my primary console.

Jokersvirus
04-28-2011, 11:01 AM
There is more to come, and this law suit is a complete joke. In all honestly whoever made that lawsuit in regards to PSN being down is just wtf. The judge will laugh at the person(s) and dismiss the case. Far as my knowledge with Playstation goes you guys dont pay for PSN its included.

HamadaLFC8
04-28-2011, 11:28 AM
This is why you get XBL !!!! hahaha just kidding guys! But this must suck for PS owners :/

ROFLBRYCE
04-28-2011, 12:32 PM
Far as my knowledge with Playstation goes you guys dont pay for PSN its included.

It's a real case of "You get what you pay for", lol. But even so, I'd hate to see Live shut down for 1-XX week(s).

As long as Reach is still a go, it doesn't affect me though.

Jokersvirus
04-28-2011, 02:52 PM
It sucks that they are getting sued by in all reality if the judge sees this as a BS case he can award sony alot of money for wasting the court's time and sony's time

Jayhmmz
04-28-2011, 02:56 PM
I would be raging if I only owned a PS3 for gaming... To be honest, I would go as far as to trade the PS3 in, a long with all of the games, and get an xbox 360!

Jokersvirus
04-28-2011, 03:52 PM
Why would you trade it in jay? Ya the highlight of the ps3 is online but if you're a fan you wait, sounds silly but it are true.

Brav0snow
04-29-2011, 12:06 AM
I personally have 40+ games on ps3 sure i dont play them all anymore but im not going to rush to trade in my ps3.

Also payed for PS+.

Also i read somewhere the hope from sony is to have it back up next week.

BobTD
04-29-2011, 12:35 AM
this law suit is a complete joke. In all honestly whoever made that lawsuit in regards to PSN being down is just wtf. The judge will laugh at the person(s) and dismiss the case.

Im going to have to strongly disagree

The class action lawsuit is not over "not being able to play gomes online" its over the stolen usernames, address, phone number, credit card and email information.

Today I took a friend to lunch and he got a mass text from PSN telling him he should probably cancel any credit cards he used, and that people can now identify him with his username in case he uses it for anything else. As well as the password no longer being secure for both the account, and his personal email.

This means his credit card, his pin number, his expiration date, his three letter security code on the back of the card are all stolen. everything that was required to sign up or pay for services was compromised.

Its a major failure on PSN's part that is extremely dangerous. Its a valid and serious class action law suite, that no judge can afford not to handle delicately.

Ilyich Valken
04-29-2011, 07:26 AM
I don't know what else I can say, Sony was extremely stupid. They've got enough money to make a secure network and chose not to. It's extremely pathetic, especially after having the network security being broken into before (although, for less insidious purposes)

Also, here's part of the ToS for PSN:
http://i.imgur.com/5hXOJ.png

BobTD
04-29-2011, 12:03 PM
I don't know what else I can say, Sony was extremely stupid. They've got enough money to make a secure network and chose not to. It's extremely pathetic, especially after having the network security being broken into before (although, for less insidious purposes)

Also, here's part of the ToS for PSN:
http://i.imgur.com/5hXOJ.png

The parts you have quoted specifically cover loss of video game save information and access to the PSN. Not a breach of security.

That does not cover the loss of personal information such as credit cards. Im pretty sure if we look around there are general business standards for that sort of thing.

Muffincat
04-29-2011, 02:28 PM
Especially if their security was as lax as I've heard it was. I'm not sure if this is true, but I heard that they stored passwords in plaintext, and didn't even bother encrypting them.

If that's true (don't know if it is), then there could be actual claims against them for not protecting their information properly.

Brav0snow
04-29-2011, 07:38 PM
They only encrypted credit card information.

Everything else was plain text.

24 hours after fact, notice is supposed to be given with any "hint" that personal information could have been compromised.

"All of the data was protected, and access was restricted both physically and through the perimeter and security of the network. The entire credit card table was encrypted and we have no evidence that credit card data was taken. The personal data table, which is a separate data set, was not encrypted, but was, of course, behind a very sophisticated security system that was breached in a malicious attack."

"While all credit card information stored in our systems is encrypted and there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained. Keep in mind, however that your credit card security code (sometimes called a CVC or CSC number) has not been obtained because we never requested it from anyone who has joined the PlayStation Network or Qriocity, and is therefore not stored anywhere in our system."