PDA

View Full Version : Company of heroes review

paecmaker
04-29-2011, 03:14 AM
This is my first review after being applied so dont take it easy on the commentaries.

I chose to review Company of heroes or CoH for short. Its pretty old now but I hope you dont feel angry.
Its a RTS developed by relic entertainment and follows some US soldiers around the time of D-day(the invasion of france during world war 2) In multiplayer you can play as the germans to.

Gameplay

In CoH you control an allied force in its mission to liberate france. When you start the game you have one main building and one or two builders(enginers)
You have to build a base to get soldiers but its not like all other rts:s.

You hae only a few options in building the base so the game still focuses on the soldiers. To collect resources you have to conquer certain posts around the map.
There are strategic points you have to take and they look all different dependable of what type it is.

You have four(4) types of resources you need.

Manpower- the resource you need to build soldiers and some vehicles
munitions- the resource you use to upgrade weapons and buildings
Fuel- the resource you need to deploy vehicles.

population cap- is how many guys you can have.

The first three resources have its own strategic points that you need to take or you wont get the resource. pop, cap will raise when you capture the different strategic points so its importent to defend them.
All strategic points are attached to a territory each.

http://mmohuts.com/wp-content/gallery/company-of-heroes-online/company-of-heroes-online-tactical-map.jpg

The territories you control are blue while the enemy territories are shown in red. The neutral are gray/white.

All territories give you different amounts of resources so some are better than others. One thign is alos that all your territories need to be connected to the main territory or they will not give you resources.
This system makes the battles a struggle between resources.

When you have a base you can build vehicles and soldiers, but be careful not to fill you pop. cap with useless guys.

The tanks are about the strongest units in the game and they all have their strongs and weaks. A tank is expensive and you cant have that many so take care of them.
The vehicles in the game have different weak spots so a tank vs tank battle can be a struggle of hitting the enemys weak points while avoiding your own. All tanks are weaker in the back and in the sides.

http://media.moddb.com/cache/images/mods/1/12/11952/thumb_620x2000/tiger_kommandant.jpg

It can be tempting to only build tanks but thats not so smart. Infantry and sometimes light vehicles are the only ones that can capture strategic points.

Campaign

The campaign follows some soldiers arond the d-day(one of the missions is accually the d-day invasion)
The missions follows both airborne secret missions and mass assaults. I really enjoyed the campaign because the maps and missions are so well done. The main battles in the campaign is also between the strategic points and the enemy WILL send saboteurs and soldiers to obtain yours. The enemy in the game is really well done. They try to flank my tanks and take cover(there is a very good cover system in the game).

The different missions is parted by both historical cutscenes and normal cutscenes following the soldiers. The cutscenes are made from the same graphics engine as the rest of the game.
The voices in the game also makes an exeptionell work both in and ouside of the cutscenes.

Graphics and sound

The graphics in the game are nice even by todays standards. You can zoom far down and also zoom up to get a good view. All buildings and things can be destryed if the guns are big enough. Even in the cutscenes the graphics look really good and I would be stuck even without lipsync. Destroyed tanks leave a shell that infantry can take cover behind until its destroyed by another tank(or vehicle)

http://www.gameogre.com/reviewdirectory/upload/Company%20of%20Heroes.jpg

The sound ingame is also extrodinary, from the voices from the soldiers to the smattring sound of a machinegun. If you are looking somewhere else the sounds are reduced to an echo in the background which is really nice.

Multiplayer

The multiplayer in CoH is really fun. The game style suits mp really well and the matches are challenging.
In one of the main multiplayer stiles you are going to destroy the enemy base(s). The gameplay is still about taking strategic points and hold them. I have been in several joyfull mp battles against my friends. In the mp you can play as the germans, they have a little different style in base building as they have to upgrade the buildings before they can build tanks and stuff.

About the only things I can complain about are that I think the allies are a little OP in mp. The germans got stronger tanks but they can easily be spammed by artillery or at guns. Except that and some bugs i the graphics I have almost nothing more to complain about.

Gameplay- 9/10- The gameplay is awesome

Graphics- 8/10- The graphics are turning little old even if they look good

Sounds- 10/10- I think the sounds are extrodinary.

MP- 8/10 Despite being so fun there are some balance problems
(atleast for me)

TOTAL- 9/10

ROFLBRYCE
04-29-2011, 09:33 AM
Good review! Didn't take you long to push one out after getting accepted :P

Between you and Saph, I'm gonna be broke buying all these games :laugh1: I've got stuff to save for that will not get bought!!

LiNuX
04-29-2011, 09:50 AM
Another great review.

I still have my copy of COH lying around here somewhere in plastic. Never opened it. Don't know why, I keep planning on playing it but never get to it.

paecmaker
04-29-2011, 03:17 PM
Thank you for your kind posts:)

Im thinking of witch game to review next. I got these three as choices now, Medal of honor, alpha protocol or dawn of war 2. Please help me I dont know which one to take.

Saph
04-29-2011, 06:41 PM
My next review will be out in a few days :) As always, the topic is a secret!!!

Great review though, bro!!! Only deal here is that the 1st picture doesnt work for me, just to let you know :)

Other than that, fantastic and wholesome review :D

HamadaLFC8
04-30-2011, 07:25 AM
Great review man!!! I enjoyed reading it!!! :) Keep em coming!!!