PDA

View Full Version : General Info Defending my favorite series

BobTD
05-03-2011, 02:54 PM
I have been looking around at some of the games and the decline in the Japanes market share, going from almost 50% to less than %10 over the last 8 years.

So when I say Monster Hunter is a phenomenon over there its a little less impressive at first, but Japans declining influence helps explain why one of the greatest series on the world has gone largely unnoticed in America.

First, why do I think its unappreciated in this country? Lets look at some simple numbers:

PlayStation Portable games that have sold or shipped at least one million copies.

Monster Hunter Portable 3rd (4.12 million in Japan)[154]
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (3.1 million;[55] 3.5 million shipped)[55]
Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories (2,725,507 approximately: 2 million in US,[155] 125,507 in Japan,[156] 600,000 in UK)[38]
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (2.59 million approximately; 830,000 in Japan, 710,000 in North America,[157][158] 550,000 in Europe)[158]
Gran Turismo (2.32 million)[111]
Daxter (2.3 million)[159]
Monster Hunter Freedom 2 (2.3 million)[55]
Dissidia: Final Fantasy (1.81 million)[134]
Need for Speed Most Wanted 5-1-0 (1.32 million approximately: 1.1 million in US,[155] 200,000 in UK,[23] 27,151 in Japan)[156]
Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition (1.3 million approximately: 1.1 million in US,[155] 200,000 in UK)[23]
Monster Hunter Freedom (1.2 million)[55]
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories (1.13 million approximately; 950,000 in US,[155] 100,000 in UK,[20] 80,420 in Japan)[156]
Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee (1 million)[160]
Tekken: Dark Resurrection (1 million)[161]
Wipeout Pure (1 million)[162]

The number one PSP series in the world is Monster Hunter. The 3rd installment tops the charts and has not even been released int he US because of lack of potential interest.

Now, keeping in mind that we have a VERY advertisement driven market lets look at the score a popular magazine like Gameinformer gave Monster Hunter3, (one of the few games in world to get a perfect score from japans largest game magazine, weekly fumatsu):

A Mechanically Flawed Experience That Rewards Patience - Monster Hunter Tri - Nintendo Wii - www.GameInformer.com
(http://www.gameinformer.com/games/monster_hunter_tri/b/wii/archive/2010/04/22/review.aspx)

And I quote "Monster Hunter Tri should be a terrible game for a variety of reasons."

How does one of the best selling games in history get called a terrible game on line one of such a popular magazine?!

Now here is the kicker, the score they gave was so biased that it wasnt even originally included in the Metascore breakdown, until about a year after its release. The metascore is one of the few to range as high as 100 and as low as 60. Obviously is one of the most debatable scores:

Metacritic
Monster Hunter Tri for Wii Reviews, Ratings, Credits, and More at Metacritic (http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii/monster-hunter-tri)

Why do people like this series? Its got hardcore appeal that no other series can really equal. Literally one of the hardest games to master I have ever played. For an idea of what some of the gameplay looks like I recommend watching a few google weapon tutorials:

psp american version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiG1zT67eV4

MH3 wii:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arpEkdM39sg

Rant:
--------------------------------------------------------------
If you think thats bad, thats an expert player with maxed out armor and weapon stats and its still a ten minute battle. Not to mention to craft new items you sometimes end up killing a few dozen of a single type of monster. AND on top of that, once you have ascended to a new level of power through crafting those items they double the creatures power for its + version, and then again for its G version.

On the upside, there are a lot of monsters and it keeps track of what you kill:

Just from my PSP version:

(also keep in mind there are different sub species represented by color variations as well as ranks for most monsters)

Felyne:17
Melynx:177
Shakalka:60
Vespoid:576
Hornetaur:190
Great Thunderbug:76
Anteka:60
Popo:46
Kelbi:33
Mosswine:133
Aptonoth:59
Apceros:100
Giaprey:194
Giadrome:18
Velociprey:192
Velocidrome:14
Genprey:172
Gendrome:17
Ioprey:162
Iodrome:26
Yian Kut-Ku:45
Yian Garuga:11
Gypceros:15
Remobra:63
Rathian:37
Rathalos:46
Khezu:21
Basarios:12
Gravios:31
Monoblos:28
Diablos:31
Tigrex:26
Akantor:10
Cephalos:54
Cephadrome:18
Plesioth:19
Hermitaur:149
Daimyo Hermitaur:49
Ceantaur:71
Shogun Ceantaur:29
Shen Gaoren:12
Bullfango:138
Bulldrome:29
Conga:188
Congalala:23
Blango:271
Blangonga:40
Rajang:32
Kirin:14
Kushala Daora:12
Chameleos:11
Lunastra:10
Toestra:11
Lao-Shan Lung:17
Fatalis:15

There are almost entirely different monsters in MH3, and all monsters in the series appear in the MMO version of this series. And considering there is usually an armor and weapon set for each monster there are literally millions of combinations and ways to customize, as well as latent abilities and ability gems you can socket and remove at will.

small example:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-tdJWrVVRKoQ/TWLkJI6jc1I/AAAAAAAAAAc/-ZBGtrMSYEE/s1600/Gunning+Armor+Sets.png

There is most likely something close to 60-70 armor skills you can get benefits from, as well as a negative effect if any area is subtracted to far.
----------------------------------------------------------

So the depth and sheer potential for unlimited gameplay is staggering. One of the most addicting and challenging gameplay formulas I have ever had the pleasure of getting addicted to.

This concludes part one of my review of the series. I will try and formulate a part two based on factors and downfalls in the series that might have prevented its recognition in the US market next.

Muffincat
05-03-2011, 02:56 PM
Nice post, Bob :P

I really do like Monster Hunter Tri... I mostly wish it wasn't for the Wii :/

it is an epic game, though.

Havoc
05-03-2011, 03:23 PM
Yea I wish it was for PC >.< think of all the possibilities... one huge open world, 32 player co-op, hundereds of pieces of equipment, amazing character customization, better visuals...

Or we just get the Monster Hunter MMORPG :3

LiNuX
05-03-2011, 04:37 PM
I've heard so much about the game and have seen plenty of gameplay but never had the pleasure of playing it myself.

Looks like a game I'd enjoy a few years back, not so much these days.

Great review though. Makes me want to try the game, and I actually have a PSP for it! I'm watching through the videos you posted. The first one looks familiar, I probably saw a bit of it before.

ZXDarknessfalls
05-03-2011, 07:16 PM
Monster hunter stole my heart at a young age and makes me with I was born in japan Just for that series. These games online co-op is some of the most fun i have ever had and had me and my friends spending more than a couple hundred hours each per character per game. I pray that Frontier comes to the U.S. on a 360 release like it has in japan but know deep down that the chances are slim D :

BobTD
05-03-2011, 10:35 PM
Yea I wish it was for PC >.< think of all the possibilities... one huge open world, 32 player co-op, hundereds of pieces of equipment, amazing character customization, better visuals...

Or we just get the Monster Hunter MMORPG :3

The PC version is frontier. The somewhat MMO version of the game. It was also release onto the 360 this year making it possible it could come to the us.

If that never happens, you could always watch a few tutorials on how to setup an account to play the Japanese version. Considering the style of the game it would not be that hard to figure out how to play. Choosing monsters to hunt and learning the symbols for the most important items is the only thing that would take some patience to learn.

There is actually a large number of people in the US playing the PC version, however playing from the US is against the terms of service for some reason so in game mods will ban you if you make it obvious you are from the US.

OWNT
05-09-2011, 01:42 PM
MHF was the reason I lost countless hours fighting dragons, scavenging for items, and trying to get my cats to cook me a good meal...lol I loved every minute of it! I think a lot of people overlook it, but it really is a great game. If my PSP didn't die on me I'd probably still be playing it.

Fr0stByte
05-09-2011, 01:45 PM
The theme of monster was a success in japan because its inline with japanese tv and kids culture and the like.....not even close to that found in US.....that explains it

SiC TwiSteD
05-09-2011, 03:18 PM
I <3 Monster Hunter and i really want to to go to Xbox, it could replace the Halo franchise easily

ZXDarknessfalls
05-09-2011, 11:45 PM
I recently heard they were doing studies to see how it would go in the US. What the results of that study were or if it is going to come here are still unknown though... At least they thought about us right?

EpsilonX
05-10-2011, 07:15 AM
I spent a lot of time playing Monster Hunter Freedom. Monster Hunter Tri...not so much. It just doesn't feel right playing it on the Wii

ZXDarknessfalls
05-10-2011, 09:00 AM
I spent a lot of time playing Monster Hunter Freedom. Monster Hunter Tri...not so much. It just doesn't feel right playing it on the Wii

:huh: Why would what system it comes out on make the difference? The Wii port is IMO one of the best out there. The only reason it should Maybe not compare to some of the others is because it doesn't have as many monsters and weapons as the portable ports do. But thats cause they gave the creatures more fluid movements and remade them from bottom up. If your not playing Tri cause its on the Wii than you are passing up an amazing experience for almost no reason beside maybe a biased opinion of the Wii.

EpsilonX
05-10-2011, 04:35 PM
:huh: Why would what system it comes out on make the difference? The Wii port is IMO one of the best out there. The only reason it should Maybe not compare to some of the others is because it doesn't have as many monsters and weapons as the portable ports do. But thats cause they gave the creatures more fluid movements and remade them from bottom up. If your not playing Tri cause its on the Wii than you are passing up an amazing experience for almost no reason beside maybe a biased opinion of the Wii.

I think a large part of it is because it's only 480p. I'm not one of those simpletons that needs awesome graphics, but idk...the game looks blurry and not good. Other wii games look great, but monster hunter looks so blah.

Or maybe i'm just too lazy to play it. Now that I think about it, I think that's why. But the fact that it looks like garbage on the tv the wii is hooked up to is another factor lol

ZXDarknessfalls
05-10-2011, 10:13 PM
I think a large part of it is because it's only 480p. I'm not one of those simpletons that needs awesome graphics, but idk...the game looks blurry and not good. Other wii games look great, but monster hunter looks so blah.

Or maybe i'm just too lazy to play it. Now that I think about it, I think that's why. But the fact that it looks like garbage on the tv the wii is hooked up to is another factor lol

Hmm thats odd. Cause it looks great on my tv. Im gonna go with your second option of you are to lazy to play it : P missing out thought : (

BobTD
05-11-2011, 12:36 AM
I thought MH3 was one of the better looking games on the Wii. I think component cables would help resolve any blurring.

Then again... I only have that one game for the wii...

EpsilonX
05-11-2011, 01:15 PM
It's hooked up with component cables and it just looks like garbage lol. That and Okami are the only games that i have on the wii, and they both look like crap but all my brothers games (new super mario bros, mario kart, pokepark) look great haha. fml

Muffincat
05-11-2011, 01:32 PM
Yeah, Monster Hunter Tri and Okami look fine on every TV I've played them on o.o So I dunno what that's about oO

EpsilonX
05-11-2011, 02:20 PM
Yeah, Monster Hunter Tri and Okami look fine on every TV I've played them on o.o So I dunno what that's about oO

I think i'm just used to playing it on my psp where it's crystal clear, and it just looks blurry by comparison on the tv.

SiC TwiSteD
05-12-2011, 07:38 PM
...get a better tv, my 32 inch with 1080p component and HDMI cables makes any game look great

EpsilonX
05-12-2011, 09:05 PM
...get a better tv, my 32 inch with 1080p component and HDMI cables makes any game look great

well, Wii only supports 480p with component cables, and i'm playing on a 42"

ZXDarknessfalls
05-12-2011, 10:49 PM
maybe you just have bad vision. Cause MH3 is one of the best looking wii titles out there..

SiC TwiSteD
05-13-2011, 04:50 PM
maybe you just have bad vision. Cause MH3 is one of the best looking wii titles out there..

I completely agree, you just have to dumb down your graphic expectations, and not judge every game you play by its graphics, and then you will be able to appreciate MH3

ZXDarknessfalls
05-13-2011, 05:31 PM
I completely agree, you just have to dumb down your graphic expectations, and not judge every game you play by its graphics, and then you will be able to appreciate MH3

Not even that really. Like if you look at it, it really is one of the best looking wii titles and by no means actually has bad graphics IMO

Ilyich Valken
05-13-2011, 05:46 PM
That's the thing though. Eps isn't a "NEEDS BETTER GRAPHICS" guy. He agrees, it is one of the best looking games on the Wii. That doesn't mean that it can't look bad with certain settings/tvs. Most games that are 480p played on a higher setting are upscaled, meaning.. simply resizing the image, not improving it. Doesn't necessarily do anything for resolution.

Saph
05-13-2011, 06:03 PM
I may be taking the point in this wrongly, but nonetheless, I hope it'll atleast hold some value to the debate!

Let's face it, people. Wii is NOT a console designed to awe inspire you with the greatest and most realistic graphics currently available. It's just not designed to do so.

The Wii is designed to attempt adding excersize into the gaming community, cause, as always, the majority believe that the main reason for the extremely high adolescent obesity rates is due to video games. Right, cause fast food shacks every 300 feet in every direction has nothing to do with it.

EITHER WAY! As such, graphics is really not all that important on a Wii, and people who buy a Wii cause they want kickass graphics with the oppertunity to actually feel "Like you're there" by having to hold the controller like a machine gun and jump around to dodge bullets and what not. People who expect the Wii to be a PS3 with motion sensor controllers will be gravely disappointed.

As such, I don't see why anyone should have to defend their favorite series of video games just cause they're for Wii or whatever.

And as true as I think the above is, just cause I felt like ranting for a sec, now to the actual post!

I can't say that I've tried MH3, but from what I see it looks like a great game that is less about solving puzzles and more about actually learning, improving, and perfectionize your abilities by trial and error, and not just up your skills and end up with perma god mode in the end like so many similar games end with.

If it wasn't for the fact that my Wii is american, and I'm moving to Denmark in a few weeks, I'd totally give this a shot.

EpsilonX
05-13-2011, 08:30 PM
dude, i'm not tryin to be mean but you guys are freaking stupid. I never once said the graphics were bad, i said it didn't display well. Other games displayed well, but monster hunter didn't look that great in 480p, and that's a game that's best enjoyed in hi def. I have a PS3, yet I still play ps1 games. My Wii on the 42 inch tv hooked up with component cables looks like crap. Okami and Monster Hunter 3 both look really dark and washed out and disappointing, especially since the graphics are so nice. I have to put the contrast on like max and pump up the colors for them to look good on the tv. Mario games and such look fine though, but probably because they're full of bright primaries. Also, I'm used to playing Monster Hunter Freedom on the PSP, and the PSP has a great display.

Heck, I think graphics these days are too good and developers focus more on graphics than gameplay. Imagine FF13 on the ps1, you'd be walking down a boring pre-rendered path with cutscenes and battles every now and then. it'd be totally unacceptable, yet a lot of people enjoyed FF13 cuz of the graphics. Metal Gear Solid and Legend of Dragoon are 2 of my favorite games, and they're for the ps1

Ilyich Valken
05-13-2011, 08:51 PM
The Wii is designed to attempt adding excersize into the gaming community, cause, as always, the majority believe that the main reason for the extremely high adolescent obesity rates is due to video games. Right, cause fast food shacks every 300 feet in every direction has nothing to do with it.
Actually.. the Wii was NOT designed to add exercise into the gaming community. There's only a real handful of games that are even aimed towards fitness. The rest you can easily sit on the couch and play.

And as far as fast food goes... go ahead, take the easy route and blame a product, but when it comes down to it, it's not fast food that causes people to be fat. I know people who eat fast food regularly and are skinny as hell. What it comes down to is the ability to A) Say no, I won't eat fast food, or B) I may or may not eat fast food, but I will start exercising.

Obesity is not caused by fast food, video games, tv, or anything but being plain lazy. You can eat all you want (eating several small meals a day is actually better for your metabolism than eating three big meals) and still be skinny, as long as you have discipline and exercise and keep active.

On topic, I personally haven't played MH3, the only time I can play on a Wii is at my dad's or Eps' or another friend's house. But, every game is displayed differently, whether it's because of the tv, the game engine, or settings. I mostly agree with what he's saying. :|

EpsilonX
05-13-2011, 08:58 PM
1. like i said, other games look great on the wii. monster hunter was painful to behold though, especially before i got component cables. oh man. It was dark, blurry, kinda washed out colors, and lots of jaggies.

2. I eat junk nonstop and sit around all day and i just have a slight gut.

ZXDarknessfalls
05-14-2011, 10:09 AM
If it looks dark and washed out maybe it might do some good to change the brightness and contrast in the game before playing again? Maybe that may help. Other wise I'm not sure what to tell you : P

EpsilonX
05-14-2011, 10:17 AM
If it looks dark and washed out maybe it might do some good to change the brightness and contrast in the game before playing again? Maybe that may help. Other wise I'm not sure what to tell you : P

Okami and Monster Hunter 3 both look really dark and washed out and disappointing, especially since the graphics are so nice. I have to put the contrast on like max and pump up the colors for them to look good on the tv.

-____- did you even read my post?

himynameisandrew
11-17-2011, 05:15 PM
good point

BobTD
11-17-2011, 11:10 PM
haha, I know I actually prefer my PSP monster hunter over Tri but for different reasons. It does feel different, and not just the graphics. I just like holding the PSP and sitting wherever I want when I play.

I picked up the portable 3rd and there is an English text mod you can get via the internet. I dont use it but its there. That version of the game is also slightly updated like Tri but I liked it more than Unite.

I might upload some gameplay I have recorded. But lets just say they reworked the damage so its easier to compare weapon damage and there is more Japanese culture evident. The big thing is that the monsters are hella fun to fight.