PDA

View Full Version : Wii U Reveal Mistakes!

Jayhmmz
06-13-2011, 10:21 AM
OK, so this will clear up a lot of things! The Wii U isn't just a controller... it will actually be a new console as well!

I copied and pasted this from IGN:

Speaking to the London Evening Standard, President and CEO of Nintendo Satoru Iwata admitted that things should have been done differently for the Wii U's big unveiling at E3 last week.

He said: "Because we put so much emphasis on the controller, there appeared to be some misunderstanding."

All eyes have certainly been on the Wii U's new controller, which has its own 6.2-inch touch-screen, with many assuming that it was Nintendo's new console – a portable device akin to a tablet.

http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/article/117/1175749/satoru-iwata-20110613051515223.jpg
Wii U Console

"We should have made more effort to explain how it works," Iwata said in retrospect.

He remained confident that Nintendo did not botch the reveal, but conceded that they "should have shown a single picture of the new console, then started talking about the controller."

"The console is not drastically different, and Wii U is about the controller. The console itself will be almost invisible."

Havoc
06-13-2011, 02:40 PM
How does this clarify anything?
Which part of this was obfuscated to begin with? oO
What? Why? Where?

Synge
06-13-2011, 03:35 PM
What? Why? Where?

Yeah...

People were actually confused about this? o0

Jayhmmz
06-13-2011, 04:54 PM
What? Why? Where?

Yeah...

People were actually confused about this? o0

Yeah, actually, they were confused, because it wasn't 100% clear that there was actually going to be a brand new console from what they presented in the press conference. The presentation focussed far too much on the Wii U pad, and people thought that it was just the pad (as a hand-held system) that was getting released, and not a console as well. Nintendo made the Wii U pad look like a next-gen Gameboy, instead of it accompanying a new console.

Saph
06-13-2011, 05:29 PM
Another confusing console topic for me O.o I got confused about the Xboxi Kinect too? I think that's what Kinect is for? I really can't decide cause there're so many things coming out these days that I can't wrap my head around it anymore -.- SO...Are these things CONTROLLERS, ADD ONS, or CONSOLES!?

Havoc
06-13-2011, 06:51 PM
Aaah the density... it buuuurrrrns...

Synge
06-13-2011, 06:57 PM
Aaah the density... it buuuurrrrns...

Hahaha

I can't wrap my head around it either :P

Edit @ Saph: Just pretend Kinect doesn't exist, it's for the best.

Jayhmmz
06-13-2011, 08:51 PM
Just accept that some people didn't realise and stop being such a ****ing snob about it.

Sorted.

EpsilonX
06-13-2011, 08:55 PM
kinect and psmove were both add-ons. Wii U is a new console.

ZXDarknessfalls
06-13-2011, 09:05 PM
Why can't we all play nice and just be happy about e3?

Jayhmmz
06-13-2011, 09:06 PM

Because some people need to be all high and mighty.

Ilyich Valken
06-13-2011, 09:09 PM
kinect and psmove were both add-ons. Wii U is a new console.

Kinect was kind of toted as a new console, though. It accompanied the 360 remodel/fix and the new (current) Xbox dashboard. The games have been lackluster so far, but it's starting to look up.

Jayhmmz
06-13-2011, 09:12 PM
Kinect was kind of toted as a new console, though. It accompanied the 360 remodel/fix and the new (current) Xbox dashboard. The games have been lackluster so far, but it's starting to look up.

A prime example of Kinect getting better is the new Kinect Star Wars game - looks superb.

Ilyich Valken
06-13-2011, 09:22 PM
A prime example of Kinect getting better is the new Kinect Star Wars game - looks superb.

The E3 showing was a little lol worthy but the game itself looks fun. Child of Eden looks good (comes out tomorrow), Steel Battalion, ME3's Kinect features, Rise of Nightmares, Gunstringer, Future Soldier, and one other horror game, to name a few.

Havoc
06-14-2011, 03:25 AM

Which part of it? Coz I think Jedi Academy had better graphics XD [/sarcasm]
But no I think they really dropped the ball on the visuals...
Srsly I was really seeing this one as a reason to get Kinect until I saw the stage demo T^T(*huge starwars fan*)

Because there are fanboys for every faction. People will love their consoles and bash anything else.(Like Yhatzee said "Xbox360 fanboys would defend angry wasps if they nested exclusively in Xbox360 consoles") Some people won't give a sh*t and some people will bash on everything because there are flaws to every system.
And I personally think E3 is a thing of criticism and evaluation, not a peace festival to sit, watch and be quiet about.

EpsilonX
06-14-2011, 10:53 AM
So wait...where were people not "playing nice" ? I don't see any of that in this thread

Muffinbat
06-14-2011, 02:19 PM
I guess i am the only person that thinks it looks like Tekken Force. Well this video was better than some of the others I have seen and made it look pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIiN0Tdzgsc

Though this one makes it look very lackluster http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40iFJ532LZE

Back on topic. I think its pretty amusing how people thought the controller was the new console due to Nintendo focusing so much on it and not really saying that much about the console.

Jayhmmz
06-14-2011, 02:29 PM
Back on topic. I think its pretty amusing how people thought the controller was the new console due to Nintendo focusing so much on it and not really saying that much about the console.

I didn't think that it was a new console, I thought that it was an independent hand-held gaming system... it's big enough!

Muffinbat
06-14-2011, 02:32 PM
I didn't think that it was a new console, I thought that it was an independent hand-held gaming system... it's big enough!

Its pretty close, if only it had wi-fi it could be! Sadly it will only work within a certain range from the console.

Jayhmmz
06-14-2011, 02:34 PM
Its pretty close, if only it had wi-fi it could be! Sadly it will only work within a certain range from the console.

Indeed, that would have been an impressive feat for sure! But yeah, regardless of who knew there'd be an actual console with it and who didn't, Nintendo did a pretty shoddy job of explaining things in full at the Wii U reveal.

EpsilonX
06-14-2011, 05:03 PM
The fact that it was being played on the tv kinda gave away that it was a console to me.

Jayhmmz
06-14-2011, 05:20 PM
The fact that it was being played on the tv kinda gave away that it was a console to me.

But they didn't make it clear that those people were playing on the new console. They just said that, "When someone else needs to use the TV, and you're in the middle of playing on Wii, then you can use the Wii U pad to continue gaming from where you left off."

They didn't explicitly state that there was going to be a new console with the pad as well; Nintendo were very subtle about it. I did not hear anything in that press conference mentioning a brand new console, with the Wii U pad. To me, and to a lot of other people, the Wii U pad was just another hand-held gaming device by Nintendo, to further their success in that area.