PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite strategy game

Callanrobertson
07-04-2011, 04:26 AM
My favorite is Company of heroe's it used to be command and conquer but when i got company of heroes I fell in love with the graphics post yours

Jayhmmz
07-04-2011, 04:29 AM
Mine has to be Company of Heroes as well. I'm a WW2 junkie and this game floats my boat :P

paecmaker
07-04-2011, 05:34 AM
Mine too, I love CoH, its just so easy to get and still so strategic. And I love WW2 settings too.

GamingWeston
07-04-2011, 04:52 PM
Mine is a game called "Knights and Merchants". Its similar to Ageof but I got this from my parents for my birthday many years ago and I spent weeks playing it. I really love that you see the small people build a town. It's a sweet memory for me :'(

Exentenzed
07-04-2011, 07:53 PM
Mine is a game called "Knights and Merchants". Its similar to Ageof but I got this from my parents for my birthday many years ago and I spent weeks playing it. I really love that you see the small people build a town. It's a sweet memory for me :'(

Oh i remember that game well.. Its a classic. :)

But for the moment its COH for me aswell.

ROFLBRYCE
07-04-2011, 07:58 PM
For RTS it would have to be Warcraft 3, the Frozen Throne, although I haven't played a lot of RTS games anyways.

For general strategy games, I'd say League of Legends. I'm still new to the game, but there's a lot of strategy when you get down into it.

Psychotray
07-05-2011, 09:17 AM
I haven't played the other game, but I have played Command And Conquer on Ps1, and it was horrible. Im not the biggest fan of Strategic Games, but they're alright. Except for Command And Conquer, lol.

Muffincat
07-05-2011, 07:18 PM
I haven't played the other game, but I have played Command And Conquer on Ps1, and it was horrible. Im not the biggest fan of Strategic Games, but they're alright. Except for Command And Conquer, lol.

I would pretty much never play an RTS on a console o.o

C&C has some really great games for PC, and those are the only ones I have played... I love the series, though lately it hasn't been as good, imo. :(

Psychotray
07-06-2011, 02:18 AM
I would pretty much never play an RTS on a console o.o

C&C has some really great games for PC, and those are the only ones I have played... I love the series, though lately it hasn't been as good, imo. :(

I haven't played any other strategy games since that, except for Abe's Odyssey, which im pretty sure is requires strategy Im pretty sure, lol :p

Callanrobertson
07-06-2011, 02:59 AM
Command and conquer is great i have all of them on my pc still I think that CoH is better command and Conquer is 2nd best :shocked:

Psychotray
07-06-2011, 03:25 AM
Yeah bro, I thought it was alright. I didn't really like it though. I think that was partly cause I was like 8 when I played it, and I couldn't understand anything about it. I always lost :D

Exentenzed
07-15-2011, 04:18 PM
I just have to add that this poll is lacking severely in options. :P

Kenoi
07-18-2011, 07:42 PM
Valkyria Chronicles man... I just don't get why they ported the 2nd installment onto PSP... now I gotta get THAT one... (sigh)
war games are cool. strategy ones

Mordry
07-19-2011, 05:50 AM
Hm...

The strategy game I like:

Battle Realms, Stronghold, Stronghold 2, Warcraft 3, Warhammer: Mark of Chaos, Warhammer 40k, Fire Emblem: Radiant Down, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and I wonder why it wasn't named here: Age of Empires.

HamadaLFC8
07-19-2011, 06:32 AM
Total War Series
Lord of the Rings - Battle for Middle Eart I & II
Age of Empires
Stronghold 2
Sid Meier's Civilization

these are just to name a few ...

MortenNS
07-23-2011, 05:40 PM
Command and Conquer Generals + Zero Hour

Kreljo
07-24-2011, 04:15 AM
SC2 by far best strat game

Mizel
07-28-2011, 12:11 PM
Heroes of Might and Magic

buizel4194
07-29-2011, 07:21 AM
My fav is the stronghold series. my second would be the total war series which is awesome but i like my own castle building.

Slay
07-29-2011, 02:53 PM
Just got Total War: Shogun 2
Best game ever, but there really isn't enough units, but still very cool. :P

Shooter99
08-01-2011, 12:10 PM
Company of Heroes is the best RTS ever.
Unlike C&C games, it doesn't focus on building a huge army and destroying your enemy in a few clicks. COH requires strategy and battle tactics. That's why it is the best, most realistic RTS ever.
As for C&C games, they're fun to play (especially RA and Generals), but all you have to learn is how to build up a huge force faster than the other guy. The factions aren't balanced and they tend to get boring after a month of playing.
Warcraft was an interesting game, but its basic story and concept was a 'Lord of the Rings' rip off. And the guys who made it obviously weren't humans themselves, since they made the human race the weakest one in the game.
Total War games have a great singleplayer, but a very bad multiplayer.
There are a lot of great RTS games out there, but Company of Heroes has a unique gameplay and it takes a lot more than a big army in order to win. It is the 'ultimate' RTS.

paecmaker
08-01-2011, 12:21 PM
Company of Heroes is the best RTS ever.
Unlike C&C games, it doesn't focus on building a huge army and destroying your enemy in a few clicks. COH requires strategy and battle tactics. That's why it is the best, most realistic RTS ever.
As for C&C games, they're fun to play (especially RA and Generals), but all you have to learn is how to build up a huge force faster than the other guy. The factions aren't balanced and they tend to get boring after a month of playing.
Warcraft was an interesting game, but its basic story and concept was a 'Lord of the Rings' rip off. And the guys who made it obviously weren't humans themselves, since they made the human race the weakest one in the game.
Total War games have a great singleplayer, but a very bad multiplayer.
There are a lot of great RTS games out there, but Company of Heroes has a unique gameplay and it takes a lot more than a big army in order to win. It is the 'ultimate' RTS.

I wouldnt say its the most realistic RTS but the best I can agree on.

The one I mean is more realistic and still is very fun to play is codename panzers.

Shooter99
08-01-2011, 12:45 PM
I wouldnt say its the most realistic RTS but the best I can agree on.

The one I mean is more realistic and still is very fun to play is codename panzers.

What makes Codename: Panzers so realistic?

paecmaker
08-01-2011, 12:53 PM
What makes Codename: Panzers so realistic?

You cant build anything so you are only in control of the things you have in the beginning of the mission.

The tanks have limited ammo (maybe fuel too I dont really remember) and to be able to fill it you have to either have "support vehicles" or have captured a support base.

Everything on the map can be used if you can capture it. Flaming tanks makes the temperature go up in the tank until the crew have to abandon it.

The battles are very tactical with the tanks have stronger or weaker places, and the armor plating is weakend by enemy fire so it cant withstand as much.

The graphics in CoH are however better and more detailed so destruction and physics are better in CoH(even if explosions look really nice here to)

BTW Im talking about codename panzers phase 1/2.

Shooter99
08-05-2011, 12:45 PM
You cant build anything so you are only in control of the things you have in the beginning of the mission.

The tanks have limited ammo (maybe fuel too I dont really remember) and to be able to fill it you have to either have "support vehicles" or have captured a support base.

Everything on the map can be used if you can capture it. Flaming tanks makes the temperature go up in the tank until the crew have to abandon it.

The battles are very tactical with the tanks have stronger or weaker places, and the armor plating is weakend by enemy fire so it cant withstand as much.

The graphics in CoH are however better and more detailed so destruction and physics are better in CoH(even if explosions look really nice here to)

BTW Im talking about codename panzers phase 1/2.

Fuel and Ammo - yes, that sounds very realistic. But not being able to build in an RTS is not fun at all. Games like CoH require much more strategy, because you have to think about your structures and base defences. Company of Heroes combines battle tactics, base defences and careful use of resources. That’s why I think of it as the best, most realistic RTS released so far.

paecmaker
08-06-2011, 04:55 AM
In codename panzers I feel that the lack of base building is helping the gameplay. If you loose one tank in CoH its a big loss but mostly you can rebuild it, even if its expensive and take long time. If you loose a tank in codename panzers you haveto change your tactics considering what forces you have left and you are very carefull about your vehicles and try to recon every step before you roll in with the heavy tanks.

For example in a mission I was to careless with one of the heavier tanks and got stuck in the middle of a mine field, its tracks was blown to bits and the repair vehicle couldnt move over there. I didnt have time to look for the mines so I had to make the crew abandon the tank and reunite with the main force.

Bertrum
08-08-2011, 10:29 PM
I haven't played many, but Halo Wars has so far been my favourite. Hopefully I will play some others some day.

Shooter99
08-10-2011, 09:26 AM
In codename panzers I feel that the lack of base building is helping the gameplay. If you loose one tank in CoH its a big loss but mostly you can rebuild it, even if its expensive and take long time. If you loose a tank in codename panzers you haveto change your tactics considering what forces you have left and you are very carefull about your vehicles and try to recon every step before you roll in with the heavy tanks.

For example in a mission I was to careless with one of the heavier tanks and got stuck in the middle of a mine field, its tracks was blown to bits and the repair vehicle couldnt move over there. I didnt have time to look for the mines so I had to make the crew abandon the tank and reunite with the main force.

That might make battles more intense and I know that it feels more realistic, but you don't have to care about resources and building - and that makes the game much easier.
In CoH, you have to capture points (and decide whether to build observation posts, or just keep moving); in the same time, you have to build and upgrade your buildings; build up an army; and when the battle starts, use tactics and strategy in order to win. There is also the struggle to get tanks earlier than your opponent.
It takes much more skill to play Company of Heroes. The way it combines the battle tactics and the building is simply amazing. That's what makes it so great.

paecmaker
08-10-2011, 09:55 AM
That might make battles more intense and I know that it feels more realistic, but you don't have to care about resources and building - and that makes the game much easier.
In CoH, you have to capture points (and decide whether to build observation posts, or just keep moving); in the same time, you have to build and upgrade your buildings; build up an army; and when the battle starts, use tactics and strategy in order to win. There is also the struggle to get tanks earlier than your opponent.
It takes much more skill to play Company of Heroes. The way it combines the battle tactics and the building is simply amazing. That's what makes it so great.

I agree, CoH is great in how they handling base building and stuff but I wouldnt agree that a lack of basebuilding does it easier, you cant replace your losses if you loose your troops, I have been in the moment several times that my tanks just was utterly destroyed in an ambush and another time when all my support vehicles was destroyed.

But both games own in their own way.

Shooter99
08-27-2011, 05:09 PM
I agree, CoH is great in how they handling base building and stuff but I wouldnt agree that a lack of basebuilding does it easier, you cant replace your losses if you loose your troops, I have been in the moment several times that my tanks just was utterly destroyed in an ambush and another time when all my support vehicles was destroyed.

But both games own in their own way.

I don't like games that lack base-building, and that's why I wouldn't like Codename Panzers: Phase II. I've also heard that it's historically inaccurate and gets boring really fast. Either way, I haven't played it so I can't tell much about it. I'm pretty sure that it's tactical, but it just doesn't sound like a good game to me.
Company of Heroes has it all. It's unique, fun and realistic.

BlackEyedJester
08-27-2011, 09:06 PM
Mine has to be the Dawn of War series, The first game was and always will be my favourite, I feel they truly captured the RTS feel of a game, the Base building works quite well, and fits into the Warhammer 40k world :)

Lord Nog
09-17-2011, 12:49 PM
Romance of the Three Kingoms 10 for console gaming, and when I'm on the computer it's Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds all the way.

Archbob
10-04-2011, 02:04 PM
It will always be Civ 2.

YuriPrime
11-27-2011, 02:51 PM
C&C3 kanes wrath, still play it to this day. C&C4 is a joke by comparison.

jackbail
12-15-2011, 03:59 AM
command and conquer are really great i have those on my pc sometimes i have played but not daily.

gladiatorofroma
12-26-2011, 02:05 PM
medieval 2 total war all the time

Kink3bird
12-26-2011, 08:15 PM
I currently have Company of Heroes and World In Conflict as my only RTS games loaded and that's all I need! Each are so different cover different eras in such a fun way the two together are enough to satisfy any strategy junkie!
https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRLMhN-bqx9otZYgRXesJgQgr9_UYFBZRNhabCsGoazzWV7uSkG
https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQbuH-imvhLbY_ItY_yeTcJgyAwCNoXAZHOqZzMIiqmL2Ty0RTloQ

Before those came out it was Empire Earth 2 as the pinnacle of RTS games for me. (oh man I just remembered how ****ty Empire Earth 3 turned out and got sad)
https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTn7Mgyo-39Puv-iT1KQ7njvsCrethfhu_YU4jlprjE0vhiv9qW

KingOfHeroes
12-28-2011, 11:58 AM
I love Age of Empires because it was my first strategy game.But my favouire game is Company of Heroes

Slayer509
12-30-2011, 10:03 AM
Command & Conquer, until c&c 4 was released :( I also like Starcraft II.

skaterbobby95
01-09-2012, 02:08 PM
Hitman!!!! Any game, i have all of them. I consider it a stradegy guide because you really have to think how to get around.

nakarumi
01-16-2012, 08:36 PM
Starcraft II. Easy enough. =3 Kind of sad that wasn't an option really. :P

nakarumi
01-27-2012, 08:43 AM
First Star Online? Never heard of that one myself. I'm going to have to look into it and see what it's all about. Unless you're willing to explain it for us. ;)

paecmaker
01-27-2012, 09:10 AM
First Star Online? Never heard of that one myself. I'm going to have to look into it and see what it's all about. Unless you're willing to explain it for us. ;)

Its just a spammer.

nakarumi
01-27-2012, 09:56 AM
Spammer? The game or the person? If the game, I'm not really sure what a "spammer game" is like. =/

Mizel
01-27-2012, 10:20 AM
The person :P Means they probably are just here to advertise or something. You can normally tell because their posts are really short, and typically don’t add anything to the conversation of the thread.

paecmaker
01-27-2012, 12:48 PM
yeah, I meant the "person", sorry about dat :/

nakarumi
01-30-2012, 11:07 PM
Haha! All good. I feel kind of blond getting that mixed up now though. =/

Mizel
01-31-2012, 08:33 AM
Haha, welcome to my life xD

paecmaker
01-31-2012, 12:41 PM
Welcome to the club :P

nakarumi
02-01-2012, 12:09 AM
I knew I was going to fit right in. ^_^

smithrock76
02-16-2012, 04:49 AM
ohh yes i totally agree with it:kiss:

Oh i remember that game well.. Its a classic. :)
But for the moment its COH for me aswell.

audun0905
02-21-2012, 08:47 PM
Rome Total War and Starcraft 2

Trevor McCormic
03-01-2012, 03:42 PM
C&C3 kanes wrath, still play it to this day. C&C4 is a joke by comparison.

totally agree... im not sure what they did to the C&C franchise > 3, but it's too bad! Kinda weak story lines, kinda lame units. Ive been an advid C&C player since the 1st DOS game... seems like theyre releasing to release new games :(

nakarumi
03-02-2012, 07:50 AM
Rome Total War and Starcraft 2

Yay! Someone else said SC2 as well. (Now that I think about it I haven't played SC2 in a long time. O_o I was never really good at multiplayer anyhow. :( )

Bertrum
03-06-2012, 09:05 PM
I haven't played that many, but Halo Wars was a good game imo :)

Thomass
05-23-2012, 04:34 AM
Definately other

CraeSC111
05-23-2012, 09:36 AM
Starcraft 2. I mostly play the custom games though. Doesn't work on my computer anymore...

Jayhmmz
05-23-2012, 11:56 AM
Hmm. For hardcore strategy, I'd go for Total War. For borderline-casual Strategy, I'd go for Company of Heroes. Love that game! Company of Heroes 2, soon! OH!

DJ@NTG
07-01-2012, 10:00 PM
I like Front Mission 3.

Illusive
07-26-2012, 08:58 AM
CoH is one of my favorites. Supreme Commander anyone? Starcraft?

IgnisDeveloper
08-29-2012, 09:56 PM
I loved Final Fantasy Tactics. Great game.

NonCorporeal
09-22-2012, 12:13 PM
StarCraft 1 or Total Annihilation, I love them both.

David Wong
09-29-2012, 11:59 AM
It's an other game , strong hold crusader...and yeah Wolf 3d :)

abfahren
03-19-2013, 07:48 AM
Command and conquer out of those 2... but the best is atWar

NextGenerationGaming
03-24-2013, 07:50 PM
Answered it... hopefully it helped ya out!

Kenoi
04-03-2013, 02:30 PM
Tactics Ogre for psp?
does that one count? its strategy...
though there are some that are favorites. I have to try out
one of those Civilization games for PC. are they fun?

Imperial_Kade
10-22-2013, 11:08 AM
Xcom for sure I loved that game I was really addicted to it

Shalidor
03-26-2015, 01:09 PM
Knights and Merchants is the best for me)

raffo2
05-23-2017, 11:06 AM
Heroes 3 is amazing game !