PDA

View Full Version : Minecraft tips

Callanrobertson
07-04-2011, 08:59 PM
Can some people post some tips for mineing in minecraft I have been playing for a couple of years but I have never been the best miner can you post some tips on good strategy's on getting diamond and obsidan

Samus-Fan
07-04-2011, 09:28 PM
I don't think the game has been out for years.
But.
Diamond is very rare. There are a couple maps that are very loaded with diamonds
Diamonds and Mojang are both good seeds for diamonds.

Obsidian is another rare one.
It's found only by naturally occurring water and lava combining. You need a diamond pickax to mine it though. You use it to get portals. Mojang has a large amount of obsidian as well.

Callanrobertson
07-04-2011, 10:56 PM
You could buy minecraft since the start the start of 2010 but thanks

Diligence109
07-05-2011, 12:48 AM
look up branch mining if you want to mine most efficiently for diamonds. Diamonds occur at y<=20. Obsidian is easy - you just need to set up water to flow over top lava.

Psychotray
07-06-2011, 03:23 AM
I just use INVedit to get unlimited amounts of Diamonds, you should get it. You can get any item, weapon, anything in the whole game for free without even mining for it. Its awesome :p

ROFLBRYCE
07-06-2011, 12:06 PM
I just use INVedit to get unlimited amounts of Diamonds, you should get it. You can get any item, weapon, anything in the whole game for free without even mining for it. Its awesome :p

Then what would be the point of playing since Minecraft revolves around just that :laugh1:

Apart from building huge amazing complex structures, redstone creations, and joining Dili with the construction of colossal piston circuits, anyways.

Psychotray
07-07-2011, 03:51 AM
Then what would be the point of playing since Minecraft revolves around just that :laugh1:

Apart from building huge amazing complex structures, redstone creations, and joining Dili with the construction of colossal piston circuits, anyways.

Lol, you have a point :laugh1:

Saph
07-07-2011, 05:29 AM
Here's an invalueable tip when mining:

Make sure that when you dig straight down, to dig in 2 or more blocks. Digging straight down using only 1 block wide holes will make your chances of dieing from falling headlong into lava that much greater. With 2 or more you have a platform to stand on, to inspect whats below the next block. Has saved me many dusins of times from falling into a pool of lava.

Callanrobertson
07-07-2011, 08:55 PM
I mine a staricase down to bedrock then i do tunnels of it is that a good strategy?

Diligence109
07-07-2011, 09:52 PM
I mine a staricase down to bedrock then i do tunnels of it is that a good strategy?

yes, informally known as branch mining (http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Tutorials/Mining_Techniques#Horizontal_Mining_.28or_Resource _Mining.2FStratifying.29) by the minecraft community

Psychotray
07-08-2011, 04:36 AM
Another good strategy is to put Trapdoors around your house, especially if your playing on Hard Difficulty against the Creepers, Spiders, Skeleton Archers, etc. Or you could make an underground base that opens via Trapdoor (as none of the monsters can open Trapdoors), and also. You can make a turret somehow, and it will Automatically shoot enemies im pretty sure.

XeroTehHero
07-08-2011, 05:45 AM
Surround your house in cacti, When Creepers, Spiders and other foes walk into them they'll slowly die, leaving you with there drop.

You can also use this for cows, pigs and chickens.

Psychotray
07-08-2011, 05:46 AM
Surround your house in cacti, When Creepers, Spiders and other foes walk into them they'll slowly die, leaving you with there drop.

You can also use this for cows, pigs and chickens.

Yeah, but how would you get out of your house when its surrounded bro? :shocked:

XeroTehHero
07-08-2011, 05:52 AM
By making a space between the cacti for you to get to the door.

Psychotray
07-08-2011, 05:56 AM
True, another wise thing to do is make a Redstone cart that can easily transport you from point A to point B, you catch my drift?. Oh and by the way, how do I make a stopping point for my cart?, because every time I try hope in it a push it forward and it zooms off following the track, and im forced to walk to point B (that being the destination) ?

XeroTehHero
07-08-2011, 06:02 AM
You could try putting a powered track along the main part of the track, then leave the redstone powering off. This way if you successfully get into your minecart as its going along you can just turn it on as you go past. And if you miss getting into it, it will just slow to a stop.
Otherwise try making a longer start point.

Psychotray
07-08-2011, 06:06 AM
Cheers dude, I think that'll work.
Im wondering if I put a switch on it or something, will it start and stop the Cart? :shocked:

Diligence109
07-08-2011, 09:44 AM
fun facts about minecart mechanics that should help you build minecart stations/railways:

It takes three adjacent powered rails to get a minecart up to maximum speed, and only one powered rail every 37 blocks to maintain maximum speed.

Unpowered rails act like brakes, dramatically slowing a minecart. Two unpowered rails will bring a minecart going maximum speed to a complete stop.

Powered rails can be powered directly by either a redstone torch or if the block they are besides or attached to becomes powered by redstone wiring or torches.

The length of time that a button will power rails (10 ticks) is long enough to move a stopped cart across four powered rails before the rails lose power. Due to lag in SMP, a minecart may only clear 3 powered rails in the space of the button's 10 ticks, but it will (usually, very reliably) clear 3 and end up moving maximum speed.

If a moving minecart passes over powered rails, the powered rails will increase the minecart's speed in the direction it is heading. If a stopped minecart is on powered rails, the powered rails check for a block against one end of the open track to determine which direction to move the minecart on the rails. If there are blocks on both ends or neither ends of the powered rails, the minecart will not move until pushed and given a heading.

Discarded items on rails will bring minecarts to a stop upon collision. When riding in a minecart and if you have open space in your inventory, you may sometimes pick up the item before the minecart collides with it.

I could keep going and get into more and more of how redstone interacts with rails as I've built a number of different train stations on GF's server that all employ different redstone techniques/logic gates but I'll only bother writing it all up if someone actually wants to read it ;)

Psychotray
07-08-2011, 10:07 AM
fun facts about minecart mechanics that should help you build minecart stations/railways:

It takes three adjacent powered rails to get a minecart up to maximum speed, and only one powered rail every 37 blocks to maintain maximum speed.

Unpowered rails act like brakes, dramatically slowing a minecart. Two unpowered rails will bring a minecart going maximum speed to a complete stop.

Powered rails can be powered directly by either a redstone torch or if the block they are besides or attached to becomes powered by redstone wiring or torches.

The length of time that a button will power rails (10 ticks) is long enough to move a stopped cart across four powered rails before the rails lose power. Due to lag in SMP, a minecart may only clear 3 powered rails in the space of the button's 10 ticks, but it will (usually, very reliably) clear 3 and end up moving maximum speed.

If a moving minecart passes over powered rails, the powered rails will increase the minecart's speed in the direction it is heading. If a stopped minecart is on powered rails, the powered rails check for a block against one end of the open track to determine which direction to move the minecart on the rails. If there are blocks on both ends or neither ends of the powered rails, the minecart will not move until pushed and given a heading.

Discarded items on rails will bring minecarts to a stop upon collision. When riding in a minecart and if you have open space in your inventory, you may sometimes pick up the item before the minecart collides with it.

I could keep going and get into more and more of how redstone interacts with rails as I've built a number of different train stations on GF's server that all employ different redstone techniques/logic gates but I'll only bother writing it all up if someone actually wants to read it ;)

So I dont need to make the whole rails out of only powered ones. Sweet :D

Muffincat
07-08-2011, 11:09 AM
You've been only using powered rails? o_o

Yeah, that's kind of a waste of gold XD

And yeah, dili has made tons of minecart train stations where you put a minecart on an unpowered track and then press a button where you'd like to go, which powers the track you're on (already in your cart, so you don't have to push it the cart yourself; you just go), and also changes the track to the correct destination.

TigerBearPig
07-08-2011, 11:09 AM
Download Too Many Items Mod from the minecraft mod forum and then when ur in game open up inventory and you can get as many items as you want :P

Psychotray
07-08-2011, 11:11 AM
Download Too Many Items Mod from the minecraft mod forum and then when ur in game open up inventory and you can get as many items as you want :P

There is also the INVedit cheat for that as well :laugh1:

Callanrobertson
07-08-2011, 10:26 PM
Or you could just play the game normaly like i do and Don't hack at all and MineCraft is a lot more fun trust me! 8)

Psychotray
07-09-2011, 01:45 AM
I've played it with Cheats and without Cheats, I'll admit, its alright I guess. Not the best though, I actually prefer INVedit. Because it takes a lot of more effort to find supplies, for instance. Without cheats, I've never been able to find gold, ever. That's the downside to having to scout for supplies/items and stuff.