PDA

View Full Version : How to Avoid the Xbox Ring of Death?

nediscrepair
07-26-2011, 01:06 PM
Any tips on how to avoid the Xbox 'Ring of Death', 'Circle of Death' or 'Perfect circle'? From what I've heard, it's best to lay the Xbox console flat at all times....then you can't knock it over. Also, don't bump or move the console while playing. If you get the Ring of Death, it can be removed, and your disc fixed. check out New England Disc Repair for this solution.

XnewxskinX
07-26-2011, 01:22 PM
A few tips: Keep it in an open space with plenty of ventilation (those fans for the back can only end up hurting a 360 in the long run but the choice is yours on to get one or not)
Do not smoke around it, something in cigarette smoke kills electronics.
I like to put something over mine when I am not using it just to keep dust away from it.
You can leave it flat or standing up it really doesn't matter having it one way vs the other is not going to "make" you get the RROD. But if you stand it up know that it is easier to get scratches on the discs to where they become unplayable. Especially if it gets knocked over.
Lay or stand the xbox on a flat surface and not anything like carpet.

Not all red rings are the rings of death. There are 4 different meanings and each can be figured out on the xbox.com support/troubleshooting pages. A RROD is 3 lights.

ReMiXeDg
09-30-2011, 12:06 AM
I personally think there are many many ways of avoiding the RROD and getting the RROD. Laying the xbox down dosn't help anything but help you from getting your xbox game cds messed up.

Valkyr
10-10-2011, 03:51 AM
I actually saw the Ring of Death once on my 360 and the moment I saw it I turned it off, waited a few minutes,turned it back on and BAM never saw it again. So I have no idea how or why or what made it do that.
A friend told me that sometimes when you have a wired controller and it gets unplugged while playing and whatnot, sometimes you do see the Ring of Death, so I honestly have no idea.
I guess the best way to avoid it is just be extra careful with it. Treat it like a child, I do with mind, ha. Also just like New Skin said, give it breathing space. My little brother has this fan thing that you stick under the 360 to give it more air so it doesn't become so hot.

CoDFreak
01-15-2012, 04:09 AM
What's up man? The RROD comes from your Xbox over heating, so if you're going to be playing for more than 4 hours at a time then you should look into getting a larger hardrive and downloading the game to your hardrive. This way when you start the game it will register that the game is in the console then the disc will stop spinning and play off of the hard drive.

Also, just like the others said keep it laid down flat as it's the safest thing for your xbox and don't have clutter around it. It would help to unplug it once in a while to dust off the area as well as the console itself.

I've had RROD before and I'm on my third xbox because I just kept getting it. Since I've started downloading the main game I play to my xbo, things have been great and I can play for hours without my xbox getting that hot feeling or the fan kicking in loudly.

As for the fan for the back, don't get that one, it ends up melting to the back of your xbox and does more harm than good.

That under fan thing sounded pretty cool though and like it would work.
If you're not going to be moving your xbox around much and it sets up nice then that's something to look into that would probably be cheaper than a larger hardrive, but it's up to you.

Hope this helped.

Peace

hidekipooj
01-15-2012, 05:54 PM
Power Supply is a major issue as well. Make sure your xbox is plugged DIRECTLY into the wall and not into a power strip. I thought my Xbox red ringed on me when I moved apartments. Unplugged and plugged it in the wall and it was fine.

I tested that over the next week and it was 100% of the time red-ringed when plugged into the power strip and fine when in the wall.

TLDR: plug it directly into the wall

cronik
02-18-2012, 04:12 PM
Power Supply is a major issue as well. Make sure your xbox is plugged DIRECTLY into the wall and not into a power strip. I thought my Xbox red ringed on me when I moved apartments. Unplugged and plugged it in the wall and it was fine.

I tested that over the next week and it was 100% of the time red-ringed when plugged into the power strip and fine when in the wall.

TLDR: plug it directly into the wall

This happened to me when I moved also.. I freaked out.. but after I unplugged everything and plugged it back in it was fine. I do have to plug it directly into wall too, idk y its really annoying though.

CraeSC111
02-19-2012, 04:55 AM
The fans on the Xbox are pretty horrible so you need to keep it ventilated or avoid playing for a long time. Also you can make changes to the casing that will help with cooling. I found that helped a lot before my Xbox went through its final death thros. Or you could buy a PS3 and avoid any if the horrible problems that I really hate about the Xbox

ejay16us
02-19-2012, 08:27 AM
I am on my 2nd xbox due to issues with my xbox generating too much heat. I never got the RROD but had a lot of issues with the video cutting out intermittently on games that I ran straight from the disc. I used to play a lot of guitar hero/rock band and it would do it on those games a lot.

I hooked up one of those aftermarket fans and it apparently bought me some time, but I sold it because I bought a whole new system with kinect. I sold my old xbox because it seemed to be running fine. The guy I sold it to called me a year later and said it completely crapped out. I guess that aftermarket fan wasn't the fix afterall.

Sunsetforgotten
02-19-2012, 02:16 PM
Don't buy an Xbox haha. But seriously, everyone I know who owns one has had atleast one RRoD issue.

CraeSC111
02-20-2012, 11:57 AM
Everyone I know that has an Xbox has the same 3 problems with it. Seriously buy a PS3. free online and its a better system.

TheMangler187
02-21-2012, 06:03 AM
My Xbox 360 Slim feels like a friggin' heater after less than 5 minutes of being on, even while in a cool, open place. I probably would have gotten a PS3 if my brother didn't own an Xbox 360 as well. Always afraid of the RRoD...

Mizel
02-22-2012, 12:01 PM
Hah, if you want a system that won't inevitably overheat and crap out- buy a PS3 :P I literally don't know ONE person that has not had the RRoD, yet for some reason everyone keeps buying them? lol And now that the R2D2 one is out, I want one too. Maybe since it's an R2 one, it'll repair itself! :D

CraeSC111
02-22-2012, 02:38 PM
Or it'll break itself even faster so Microsoft can get more money when you buy a new one