PDA

View Full Version : Ps2 Vs Ps3

NathanielxWv4
07-29-2011, 05:26 AM
PS2
PS3

** THIS ONLY COUNTS IF YOUR PS3 ISNT BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE, CHOOSE ONE CONSOLE OR THE OTHER!!**

Basically im just curious, i have just bought a PS2 again and a bunch of old school games, Resi 4, GTA 3 vice city and san andreas, Final Fantasy 10 -12

so many more old school games NFS Most wanted etc

Now since buying my PS2 i havent so much looked at my PS3 so i just wondered what you thought?

I think the PS3 offers little in comparison to the PS2 as far as game content goes, graphics wise the PS3 smashes the PS2 but hey its not all about graphics surely? whats your thoughts?

Kenoi
07-29-2011, 08:42 AM
yeah, (to me) many games on the ps2 had great replay value. like if I played a game, it makes me wanna play it again & see if there's another ending, or if there's another unlockable thing you know?
I loved playing FFX & 12. GTA San Andreas is fun,
I still play yakuza 1 & 2 just for fun...
on the ps3 its all about trophies (applies to some people) but from what I'm seeing, some PS2 games are being released into HD format: God of War series, prince of persia, tomb raider, etc. maybe one day, great games on the ps2 are being released like that... again.

NathanielxWv4
07-29-2011, 09:22 AM
Yes trophies takes over my game play and ruins it, where as you can play san aandreas and just play for hours doing well nothing really running from cops and what not, but its still fun, ps3 dont have the content ps2 have.

EpsilonX
07-29-2011, 01:07 PM
I agree about trophies, while they add more playability to a game...playing through Demon's Souls turned into "get all the trophies" That's usually what happens with me. Some games have obnoxiously hard trophies though, like Wipeout HD, and I don't even bother.

Anyways, since my PS3 is one of the backwards compatible models, i'm gonna have to go with ps3. though I think PS2 struck a nice balance between gameplay and graphics. I used to think that the PS1 had a nice balance but thats only cuz i played the good PS1 games. After playing some crappy ones....eugh.

Synge
07-29-2011, 03:44 PM
My choice depends on whether or not we're restricting the consoles to the games made specifically for the system. Like:

PS2 backwards compatible PS3 vs PS2: PS3 wins (it's the obvious choice, yeah? Get the best of both worlds.)

NonBC PS3 vs PS2: PS2 wins

So basically, for me, there are more PS2 games that I would consider favorites than PS3. My favorite game of all time is also a PS2 title (FFX).

NathanielxWv4
07-30-2011, 05:01 AM
SOrry i will edit my post, NO BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE ^^ because it makes the ps3 a ps2 lol so voids the question, This morning i have been play MGS2 And NFS MW now they are 2 of my favorite games ever, and yet, i havent played anything on the ps3 that makes me feel WOW, EXCEPT Cod4, but since then its been rubbish.

paecmaker
07-30-2011, 06:51 AM
About the games if you dont count for graphics ps2 have a large advantage cause its been out for an amasingly long time and have a sickly amounts of games, of course many of them have to be good but there are pretty many bad titles too.

All in all PS3 will live on many years more and get more games that will probably be very good but also some bad.

I would say that Ps3 winns cause its a newer model than ps2 that just havent had as much time to get that many good games.

Koudelka
07-30-2011, 11:43 AM
I definitely choose the PS2. WAY, WAY more JRPGs on it than there ever will be on the PS3. Some damn good games too. There's very few awesome JRPGs on the PS3, compared to the magnificence of some on the PS2.

DorkDiggler
08-01-2011, 11:50 PM
I have both and the 360 specific games are way better.

egg-whites333
08-02-2011, 12:01 AM
i got ps2 ps3 and i gotta say im a hardcore ps3 fan never really liked games only for certain consals

BitterKingSkyler
08-02-2011, 12:33 AM
PS2 in my opinion is much more enjoyable simply because I used to play it so much while growing up. I even still play it today, Final Fantasy X never gets old as well as the Ratchet and Clank series, GTA series, Dark Cloud and so many others.

NathanielxWv4
08-02-2011, 03:09 AM
GTA Series, Resident evil 4, FInal fantasy series, i havent played a game on my ps3 since ive had my PS2, i have a wide collection of games including a few tony hawks, and they are so hard to beat, PS2 makes the PS3 look like a uncooked pancake.

Psychotray
08-02-2011, 04:36 AM
Ps2 is classic, and classic is my style :D

mutilations
08-17-2011, 10:25 PM
PS2 holds my heart until PS3 gets on the RPG wagon and start crunching out some great non-western RPGs.

EpsilonX
08-17-2011, 11:18 PM
PS2 holds my heart until PS3 gets on the RPG wagon and start crunching out some great non-western RPGs.

NIS have a bunch. Plus there's a few other jrpgs, but yea the system is lacking compared to ps1 and ps2.

mutilations
08-18-2011, 12:19 AM
NIS have a bunch. Plus there's a few other jrpgs, but yea the system is lacking compared to ps1 and ps2.

Only time will tell how much will be released before a new console is considered but judging how Sony has been in the past, it might be a while and many games might be in store for us.

Bertrum
08-18-2011, 12:25 AM
I prefer the PS2, due to the fact I had more PS2 games than I do PS3 games, a lot of the popular games out now I have on the xbox, I mainly have a PS3 for GT5 :P and a few other console exclusive games :D

BlackEyedJester
08-18-2011, 12:58 AM
I Agree with Mostly everyone here, The PS2 was and is better then the PS3, I would kill for a Backwards Compatible PS3 but I can't seem to find any. so I'm going to stick with the PS2 with my PS3 under it haha

Psychotray
08-18-2011, 02:03 AM
I Agree with Mostly everyone here, The PS2 was and is better then the PS3, I would kill for a Backwards Compatible PS3 but I can't seem to find any. so I'm going to stick with the PS2 with my PS3 under it haha

I think the reason its better is because it was original, and one of my fondest childhood memories, hahaa. I remember when I was about 6 or 7, I unwrapped my present and saw a Ps2 inside of it, I was so stoked, good times... But for real, Ps2 beats Ps3 anyday...

EpsilonX
08-18-2011, 02:24 AM
Well, as a console, PS3 is clearly better...but when it comes to game selection, the ps2's library is much better.

Mizel
08-18-2011, 11:46 AM
I think PS3 is ONLY better if its backwards compatible :P Made the mistake of giving my ex my PS2 not knowing my fiances PS3 wasnt backwards compatible.... didnt realize it until I bought Gauntlet: Dark Legacy. Was ecstatic to finally find that game.... and cant even play it :{

Draelthalas
08-18-2011, 01:49 PM
PS2 is the best system of all time in my oppinion. The game selection was much better. Games actually lasted more than 6 hours back then and like someone said earlier games were more fun to replay. I like trophies gives me something else to do as im going thorugh the game but id much rather have a 20 hour story line with no trophies then a 6 hour with trophies.

mutilations
08-18-2011, 02:01 PM
PS2 is the best system of all time in my oppinion. The game selection was much better. Games actually lasted more than 6 hours back then and like someone said earlier games were more fun to replay. I like trophies gives me something else to do as im going thorugh the game but id much rather have a 20 hour story line with no trophies then a 6 hour with trophies.

Which makes me wonder why PS1 wasn't added as an answer. Some of the games on that system would take forever to get everything and beat and there wasn't even a trophy system to push people so they really had to rely on story-telling. Some of the best RPG concepts came from that system and when that system hit the shelfs, I'm sure everyone was amazed at it's capabilities. Either way, Sony has far out-done themselves in the gaming industry.

EpsilonX
08-18-2011, 02:44 PM

The only problem with trophies I see is sometimes I stop playing the game just to play the game and start playing it to get the trophies.

Draelthalas
08-18-2011, 03:23 PM
The only problem with trophies I see is sometimes I stop playing the game just to play the game and start playing it to get the trophies.

Yeah lol i do that sometimes i go out of my way to get trophies but then i come back and start playing the game for what it is again.

Which makes me wonder why PS1 wasn't added as an answer. Some of the games on that system would take forever to get everything and beat and there wasn't even a trophy system to push people so they really had to rely on story-telling. Some of the best RPG concepts came from that system and when that system hit the shelfs, I'm sure everyone was amazed at it's capabilities. Either way, Sony has far out-done themselves in the gaming industry.

Most likely because PS2's are still sold iin many places and a ton of people still play it.

mutilations
08-20-2011, 01:40 AM
Most likely because PS2's are still sold iin many places and a ton of people still play it.

Yes.. and somehow that statement makes me feel old. -.- No matter. lol I'm just happy the PS3 units are compatible with PS1 games.

Psychotray
08-20-2011, 09:18 AM
I agree about the Ps2 having a larger variety of games to choose from, I prefer Ps2 because its one of my fondest memories of my childhood gaming. That and the N64 and Ps1.

Draelthalas
08-21-2011, 02:18 PM
Yes.. and somehow that statement makes me feel old. -.- No matter. lol I'm just happy the PS3 units are compatible with PS1 games.

=O PS3's can play ps1 games? ive had one for 2 years and did not know this! lol. But what i dont understand is they made a quad usb port backwards compatible then took it off the market.........fail if you ask me

EpsilonX
08-21-2011, 02:25 PM

It makes me think of Megaman Battle Network 3. All these optional areas that are really fun but tough to get through. Of course, the entire Battle Network series had the optional areas but BN3's was the best.

Triton
09-26-2011, 04:27 PM
I love the PS3 and its consol that I use most. But I still have my PS2 and from time to take it out and play games like GT3 or GT4. I still have the PS1 and that too gets an airing when I'm feeling a little nostalgic.

lowrencese
10-22-2011, 04:25 AM
ps3 Much more fun

CraeSC111
10-23-2011, 11:34 PM
I think that PS2 had some really great gems back in the day. I still only have a PS2. But most of the games I play on it are from the PS1 :p. I think there are lots of newer games that are much better than PS2 games. You just have to dig through all of the crap games. Try out Heavy Rain, Bioshock, or Oblivion. Great games that I think push the PS3 past the PS2 (That was just a very shortened list of games :D)

DeathstrikeS12
10-24-2011, 03:02 AM
I preferred the ps2 because the ps3 had some great games but not a lot that perked my interest. For instance, infamous was a joke. Did not like that game one bit. Any way I think it depends upon its the quality of games that would determine which one people like.

Trunks
10-24-2011, 03:25 PM
I rarely play my PS3 or PS2 anymore, but I'd say I say I like the PS2 better. Most ps2 games were offline based, I always enjoyed sitting down and playing a game for hours just exploring or doing funny thing. In todays game it's all about online it seems like. RPG's are an exception, but any other type usually all about online play.

The only reason I really bought a PS3 was for GT 5 which is awesome and MGS4 which is also awesome.

CraeSC111
10-24-2011, 04:49 PM
Omg infamous was a super fun game! I can see why your title is noobie gamer! :p

Mizel
10-25-2011, 08:35 AM
Omg infamous was a super fun game! I can see why your title is noobie gamer! :p

I agree, I thought Infamous was awesome. If for no other reason, then just based on the fact that unlike 90% of games released nowadays, it wasn't beatable in a few hours :P

Sunsetforgotten
10-25-2011, 10:40 AM
I think the PS2 had some of the greatest RPGs out there, but it wouldn't have lasted given the shift in gaming preference. The ps3 has a ton of variety and offers much more online play.

CraeSC111
10-25-2011, 11:21 AM
I like what has been done with some of the newer RPGs. Look at oblivion or fallout. Great graphics great story great gameplay.

Triton
10-25-2011, 05:36 PM
I agree, I thought Infamous was awesome. If for no other reason, then just based on the fact that unlike 90% of games released nowadays, it wasn't beatable in a few hours :P

That's a big problem these days, games don't last long enough, that's why I try to get 100% and I fail I never mind too much as it means I've still got a target.

I saw the new Batman game reviewed on TV a few days back and they reckoned that the game could be completed in just under 25 hours.:shocked:

Trunks
10-25-2011, 08:35 PM
That's a big problem these days, games don't last long enough, that's why I try to get 100% and I fail I never mind too much as it means I've still got a target.

I saw the new Batman game reviewed on TV a few days back and they reckoned that the game could be completed in just under 25 hours.:shocked:

If the game isn't an RPG then I don't think it should last more then 24 hours. I'm fine with shooters and action games lasting 8 to 14 hours. But when games likes Dragon Age 2 can be beaten in one sitting, that's a little ridiculous.

CraeSC111
10-25-2011, 11:41 PM
Was dragon age that short? That's been one I've been really looking into getting.

Trunks
10-26-2011, 07:22 AM
Was dragon age that short? That's been one I've been really looking into getting.

Yep it was for me, I did every side quest that I could find, even looked up some hidden quest online, still beat it within 14 hours. It was a long sitting, but still beat it within one day.

Mizel
10-26-2011, 08:01 AM

Yupp, exactly. This reminds me of playing FF games back in the day and looking at the play time of like. ohhhh... 100+ hours >_<

If the game isn't an RPG then I don't think it should last more then 24 hours. I'm fine with shooters and action games lasting 8 to 14 hours. But when games likes Dragon Age 2 can be beaten in one sitting, that's a little ridiculous.

I agree, but then again straight up shooters aren't really supposed to have stories and intricate background details and whatnot. Pretty much if I pay $60 for a game, I just expect playtime to last me more then a day :/

CraeSC111
10-26-2011, 09:10 AM
Haha final fantasy. I love those games. Wasted soooo much time on them. :p

Mizel
10-26-2011, 09:29 AM
Lol Thats for sure.... I think that WoW and FF are the games Ive spent the most time on xD

CraeSC111
10-26-2011, 11:05 AM
I've spent the most time on Starcraft 2, Minecraft, and world of Warcraft. :D all pretty fun games but WoW got pretty boring. Also in relation to the thread subject I've spent WAYYYYYY more time on the PS2 than its successor.

Trunks
10-26-2011, 02:47 PM
I've spent the most time on Starcraft 2, Minecraft, and world of Warcraft. :D all pretty fun games but WoW got pretty boring. Also in relation to the thread subject I've spent WAYYYYYY more time on the PS2 than its successor.

If you use a program called xfire it counts the hours for all the games you played. I have over 2,000 for CoD1, around 1000 or so for WoW. I think 4k or so for all.

I agree, but then again straight up shooters aren't really supposed to have stories and intricate background details and whatnot. Pretty much if I pay $60 for a game, I just expect playtime to last me more then a day :/

Yeah, that's true, never really thought of it like that. Most games that I've bought recently have online capability, so there is more game play. Some games like Dragon Age 2, Bio shock and maybe deadspace are less then 24 hours. At least they still have good replay value.

CraeSC111
10-26-2011, 04:51 PM
Bioshock 2 was pretty short. I like bioshock 1 more. Also my first playthrough of 1 was on hard. When I played on easy the second time it seemed sooooo short.

Mizel
10-27-2011, 08:04 AM
Yeah, that's true, never really thought of it like that. Most games that I've bought recently have online capability, so there is more game play. Some games like Dragon Age 2, Bio shock and maybe deadspace are less then 24 hours. At least they still have good replay value.

Bioshock 2 was pretty short. I like bioshock 1 more. Also my first playthrough of 1 was on hard. When I played on easy the second time it seemed sooooo short.

To me it's games like Bioshock that *should* be long, but often disappoint. I didnt think Bioshock was that short but 2 was def a lot shorter. Although sometimes it's hard for me to judge game length because Ill play a game for a couple hours a few nights a week so it seems like it takes much longer then it actually is :P

Haha I bet it was much shorter. Im actually proud of myself because a few months ago I was so horrible at any type shooter that I refused to play them. Now, after much practice, I always try to play them on hard :) Space Marines campaign mode was a ***** on hard -__-

CraeSC111
10-27-2011, 11:10 AM
Damn you're all so lucky being able to buy those awesome new games :p

Mizel
10-27-2011, 01:17 PM
Buy.... lol :P

CraeSC111
10-27-2011, 08:00 PM
Oh I see you are one of those people mizel! Well just don't look at my comp :p

gamergurl89
10-28-2011, 12:56 AM
i preferred the games on ps2. plus i had one. only done ps3 at a friends place.

Mizel
10-28-2011, 08:39 AM
Oh I see you are one of those people mizel! Well just don't look at my comp :p

One of what people? *whistles innocently*

The last game I bought was a ps2 game, lulz.... and soon to be Arkum City O_O

CraeSC111
10-28-2011, 10:06 AM
Arkum city looks epic. Asylum was quite a good game too. Loved the explosive gel. Who needs to be sneaky when you have that?

Mizel
10-28-2011, 10:32 AM
Exactly! When it comes to gaming Im the worst at being sneaky anyways... screw having a plan, screw stealth.... I just run right in >_<

CraeSC111
10-28-2011, 10:34 AM
Run in and punch the baddies in the face! Go Batman

kitch2012
02-05-2012, 05:33 AM
games only for certain consals

SoopaZombie
02-05-2012, 07:59 PM
PS2 for me more due to just some of the classic RPG games that came out for it, but PS3 sure does have some gems on it as well.

ShaqFulegend
02-11-2012, 08:23 PM
why ask? well maybe certain cultures i guess.

vikykam
02-13-2012, 06:22 AM
Any one know about "shadow of rome"
My friend told its good game.Any reviews available.

quynht2007
09-03-2012, 12:22 AM
I love PS2, I have the Fat one (model 30006), too old but works fine!

Artriece
01-07-2013, 12:05 AM
All I have is the PS2 so I may be biased but I do like the library PS2 has.