PDA

View Full Version : Review Project Zomboid - Not Just Another Copy & Paste Zombie Game.

Jayhmmz
08-03-2011, 02:04 PM
Well, I suggest that you read this article (http://game-craic.com/2011/08/project-zomboid/) about an indie game that is hopefully just around the corner!

It's called Project Zomboid, and it isn't about running around like an idiot and killing zombies in every which way possible (which can be fun, but ****ing boring after a **** tonne of games have done the same thing over, and over) - it's about intense strategy survival, which is what it should be about!

My friend and co-founder of Game Craic (http://game-craic.com/2011/08/project-zomboid/) has written a pretty damn good article on his impressions that he got from playing the pre-Alpha version of the game. Head to this link (http://game-craic.com/2011/08/project-zomboid/)to see what it's all about and how you can get your hands on the pre-Alpha.

[Game Craic (http://game-craic.com/2011/08/project-zomboid/)]

Diligence109
08-03-2011, 03:00 PM
looks cool... a zombie game that's actually realistic! That's a refreshing change of pace. Definitely has indie written all over it... I could see myself having fun with this for a while.

Thanks for posting/sharing!

Jayhmmz
08-03-2011, 03:03 PM
looks cool... a zombie game that's actually realistic! That's a refreshing change of pace. Definitely has indie written all over it... I could see myself having fun with this for a while.

Thanks for posting/sharing!

No problem!

It does looks amazing. It looks like a classic Sims game, with a purpose, ha :D

Muffincat
08-03-2011, 03:20 PM
Just picked the demo up to give it a try and burned my house down the second day p:

This is pretty fun :3 The controls kind of irritate me, though... I don't like this "use the WASD but also your mouse but also ctrl/z but also shift if you want to run" :/

Too much going on with my left hand to play without feeling awkward.

Jayhmmz
08-03-2011, 03:30 PM
Just picked the demo up to give it a try and burned my house down the second day p:

This is pretty fun :3 The controls kind of irritate me, though... I don't like this "use the WASD but also your mouse but also ctrl/z but also shift if you want to run" :/

Too much going on with my left hand to play without feeling awkward.

Yeah it's a bit weird at the moment in that respect :/
Hopefully that will be something that's fixed in the next stages of testing :)

Muffincat
08-03-2011, 03:33 PM
I'm sure they'll figure out some of that - but it's still an awesome and fun game :3 I'm trying again :D

Diligence109
08-03-2011, 03:56 PM
tried it out - cute game. Major flaw though is that it stages it like it's a campaign with more of an arcade style game. Playing through the same campaign/story several times in arcade style fashion is borrrriinnnngggg :(

I hope that in the final game they have a campaign mode where you have the wife and everything and there's a "linear" storyline/set of objectives with a definite end and an additional arcade mode where you spawn in a (randomly generated?) town and have to survive as long as possible employing the techniques you learned in the campaign mode. That'd be cool.

As has been mentioned in the thread already, hope they change those frustrating controls too! I'm sure things like combat, inventory screens/menus, and simple point+click actions will feel less buggy/have more fluid execution in the finished game.

Muffincat
08-03-2011, 03:59 PM
Yeah, the unfortunate aspect is that it's a great idea, but not... the best executed as it stands right now. Now, it's pre-alpha, so I don't want to judge it for that right now, but it doesn't make me want to keep replaying it :(

I played ~3 times but then I got tired of the buggy story/prompts and stuff and how slow everything is D:

I'd definitely keep an eye on it and try it out again later, though.

paecmaker
08-03-2011, 04:21 PM
Seems like a cool idee, I just hope the devs can pull it all the way to the finish.

Jayhmmz
08-03-2011, 05:02 PM
I hope for all of this too. However, we can't expect too much from a tiny development team from the North East of England with next to no budget whatsoever! :(

Fingers crossed though :)

paecmaker
08-04-2011, 02:39 AM
I hope for all of this too. However, we can't expect too much from a tiny development team from the North East of England with next to no budget whatsoever! :(

Fingers crossed though :)

Remember that the devs that made amnesia had no money either when they made it(and see how it turned out).

Psychotray
08-04-2011, 06:16 AM
As soon as I saw the pictures, the first thing that came into my head was Sims, it looks alright though.

Jayhmmz
08-04-2011, 06:36 AM
Remember that the devs that made amnesia had no money either when they made it(and see how it turned out).

Yeah but not everyone starts out with the same technology and equipment.