PDA

View Full Version : Is the Music Genre Bridging the Gap?

Scott
09-21-2007, 04:37 PM
By "gap" I mean the gap between gamers and non gamers. Essentially, what I want to know here is if you all think that the Music genre of video games is helping to draw more traditional non gamers into the gaming world.

Personally, I think that this is a big "yes." From both personal experiences and stuff I've read it seems to me that games like Guitar Hero, DDR, and Singstar are attracting a huge following of both gamers and non gamers, especially Guitar Hero. Since the release of GH II, I've noticed so many more people talking about the series than ever before, with most of these people being individuals who wouldn't have been caught dead playing or discussing something like Final Fantasy or Soul Calibur. The series has officially reached "pop culture phenomenon" status in my book. I know tons of non gamers who love a good round of SingStar or DDR. In fact, it's become a staple at many get togethers that my friends and I go to (mixed company of gamers and non gamers). I even know several individuals who purchased PS2s for the sole purpose of being able to play GH. Heck, every electronics store I set foot in always has a crowd of people around 1 or 2 individuals playing GH, and all the other demo stations are generally unmanned .

I think the reason that thses games are so huge is because music is something everyone can relate to. Not everyone likes the idea of hopping in a mech to go to war or saving the world with your magical powers and summons. Everyone loves the idea of singing or playing their favorite songs. It appeals to the wannabe rock star in all of us. Plus, most of these titles have a pretty wide range of musical genres represented, which makes it easy for people to find something to connect with in the game.

I think that this whole concept is great. I love how gaming is becoming more and more mainstream, and how heavy hitters like GH and DDR are helping it do so. I'd just like to know your thoughts on this, and if you've noticed the same things I have.

Jasperking
09-21-2007, 06:53 PM
i dunno about you but alot of games have really crap music in them :)

LiNuX
09-25-2007, 11:27 AM
the only good music and rhythm genre games i know are Dance Dance Revolution and Guitar Hero - have have a few such as Boogie which really really suck and have no point, just get DDR is you want to dance to the music lol

Jasperking
09-25-2007, 12:20 PM
lol or you could get stepmainia to exorcise your fingers :P

LiNuX
09-25-2007, 12:23 PM
lol or you could get stepmainia to exorcise your fingers :P

i exercise my fingers by posting on this forum and taking notes in class with the laptop :D

Jasperking
09-25-2007, 12:32 PM
lol but your fingers dont learn to dance on the forums :p

comfortablynumb.
09-25-2007, 03:36 PM
yeah id agree, i have so many freidnds that havent played a video game in their life but there severly attracted to guitar hero and DDR, its mostly the rythem games, probably because video games were considered kinda nerdy, about dragons and warriors and stuff, and most closed minded people still think that, then theres these rythem games like GH where theres songs these people actully know, i guess it draws 'em in