PDA

View Full Version : More of an addiction or still just a hobby?

mutilations
08-17-2011, 06:20 PM
Hello fellow gamers. I've been playing games since my grandmother's Video Arcade back in the early 80s and haven't stopped gaming since. My best memories came from playing Final Fantasy 2 for the SNES and I grew quite fond of RPG-style games. Now, any game I see that has RPG origins or are made by popular RPG developers (Atlus, NISamerica, ect.) I purchase. I've grown a descent collection of just shy of 200 rpg videogames from the SNES generation and up. I'm still working on getting as many different consoles as I can but right now I have around 11 working consoles.

I'm a very opinionated person and I'm pretty biased when I comes to RPG titles but I do play all kinds of games. . I like to look at every aspect of a game and I appreciate even its flaws. I feel that Western-style RPGs will grow to over-take the JRPG market and it scares me a little. Turn-based battles, non-linear pathways, engrossing stories, and tons of hours grinding to get the level you want or the items you covet are what make me happy.. but I still tend to branch out with more action-oriented rpgs as long as the story is good.

I am about to start my own personal gaming marathon and drop the anime I watch and books I read to at least put a dent in my collection (at least make a pile of finished games) but I'm at a loss as to which console I should start with first. SNES, N64, Gamecube, PSone, PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, PSP, Nintendo DS.. Any suggestions?

PSN: mutilations
XBL: event decay

I look forward to hearing a lot of great opinions. ^^

egg-whites333
08-17-2011, 09:08 PM
welcome to the party.

EpsilonX
08-17-2011, 09:12 PM
Haha that sounds like neighbor, he's like addicted to Atlus games and buys em all. He doesn't like NIS though.

anyways, welcome

Muffincat
08-17-2011, 09:14 PM
Welcome to the forum :3 I'm a big fan of RPGs myself, maybe you could give me some suggestions ;)

Sounds like you'll fit in well here :)

Let us know if you've got any questions!

mutilations
08-17-2011, 09:25 PM
Thanks everyone!

Suggestions? I have tons for almost any style and any console. I helped add some to the GF RPG list as well if you want to check that out but, yeah, anything specific and I will let you know what I think. ^^

Psychotray
08-18-2011, 12:35 AM
Welcome to the forum, friend
Do you play any zombie games? :D

BitterKingSkyler
08-18-2011, 12:51 AM
WelComE tO tHE FoRuMs ~!!

mutilations
08-18-2011, 12:52 AM
None actually. I am actually tired of the zombie trend, especially when I see that it even reached Call of Duty. I guess I wore myself out with the original Resident Evil games and never really got on board the Zombie-train. lol

EpsilonX
08-18-2011, 12:54 AM
I'd like some suggestions for JRPGs, are there any atlus/NIS style games that don't require endless grinding? I like the style of those games but they're just too hard lol.

Psychotray
08-18-2011, 12:55 AM
None actually. I am actually tired of the zombie trend, especially when I see that it even reached Call of Duty. I guess I wore myself out with the original Resident Evil games and never really got on board the Zombie-train. lol

Resident Evil, regardless of how old it gets, is still a legendary game :azn:

mutilations
08-18-2011, 01:10 AM
I'd like some suggestions for JRPGs, are there any atlus/NIS style games that don't require endless grinding? I like the style of those games but they're just too hard lol.

For the PS2, the Atelier Iris games and the Ar Tonelico games are jRPGs that do not require endless grinding. Now, the Atelier games are heavy on item synthesis but really don't require much grinding still. Seriously, try any Shin Megami Tensei game you find, especially Nocturne because they aren't really that hard and provide great stories.

I am playing Hyperdimension Neptunia right now for the PS3 and it is through-and-through a jRPG that doesn't require grinding UNLESS you want every trophy. Next will be Trinity Universe and it seems promising too, and turn-based.

Games worth the mention:
Tales of the Abyss (PS2)
Thousand Arms (PS1)
Any Grandia game you get your hands on you MUST play. lol

I hope that was of some help.

mutilations
08-18-2011, 01:11 AM
Resident Evil, regardless of how old it gets, is still a legendary game :azn:

That game shares MANY memories and a few girlfriends that got extra close when they watched me play because they were a little too scared.. ahhh.. the good ole days.

Synge
08-18-2011, 01:22 AM
Welcome, fellow RPG-lover. Caught your post in the recommendations thread, a very solid list, and a good few of the games I've never heard of (which I'll be sure to look into ;) )

Stick around and enjoy it here!

EpsilonX
08-18-2011, 01:27 AM
For the PS2, the Atelier Iris games and the Ar Tonelico games are jRPGs that do not require endless grinding. Now, the Atelier games are heavy on item synthesis but really don't require much grinding still. Seriously, try any Shin Megami Tensei game you find, especially Nocturne because they aren't really that hard and provide great stories.

I am playing Hyperdimension Neptunia right now for the PS3 and it is through-and-through a jRPG that doesn't require grinding UNLESS you want every trophy. Next will be Trinity Universe and it seems promising too, and turn-based.

Games worth the mention:
Tales of the Abyss (PS2)
Thousand Arms (PS1)
Any Grandia game you get your hands on you MUST play. lol

I hope that was of some help.

I have Nocturne and Persona 3, and my neighbor let me borrow Demon's Souls. Nocturne is super hard lol it took me like....a year (of only playing every so often) to beat that freaking matador boss. Now i'm lost in some maze. Haven't touched Persona 3 yet (i don't wanna start it until I beat all my other RPGs) and I beat Demon's Souls. I've been thinking about getting Hyperdimension Neptunia.

By easy, I mean like...maybe not necessarily Final Fantasy 7 easy, but one where its not that hard to advance through the story. That's my favorite part of rpgs, the stories.

mutilations
08-18-2011, 01:35 AM
I have Nocturne and Persona 3, and my neighbor let me borrow Demon's Souls. Nocturne is super hard lol it took me like....a year (of only playing every so often) to beat that freaking matador boss. Now i'm lost in some maze. Haven't touched Persona 3 yet (i don't wanna start it until I beat all my other RPGs) and I beat Demon's Souls. I've been thinking about getting Hyperdimension Neptunia.

By easy, I mean like...maybe not necessarily Final Fantasy 7 easy, but one where its not that hard to advance through the story. That's my favorite part of rpgs, the stories.

Ah Demon's Souls.. I played that game to hell and back.. literally. I kind of miss it and haven't played it ever since passing the 50% trophy completely mark. That game is the epitome of hard but so much fun.

Of all the games, especially for stories.. go with Thousand Arms, Grandia games, and Tales of the Abyss. Now the Atelier games have decent stories, they aren't too heavy in the storyline and more about items and levels. I still have a few more games to complete before I give more recommendations.

A great many thanks and hi's to all those that have welcomed me and will welcome me to the thread, just encase I miss you. I don't mean to be but when people ask me questions and for recommendations I lose focus on everything else. Same with me and lists too. XD

Muffincat
08-18-2011, 02:13 PM
Try not to double post - I merged your posts for you :)

You can always use the "edit" button if you forgot to add something :3

mutilations
08-18-2011, 02:16 PM
Yeah I realized that after I woke up this morning and when I got on here I got sidetracked with more forums.. I should know better, this isn't my first forums but sometimes when you can't sleep and have nothing better to do than float around a forum, you can make mistakes. XD Thanks for looking out, I'll try to cover my tracks a bit better. >.> lol