PDA

View Full Version : General Info My Email To Ubisoft...

Jayhmmz
08-19-2011, 07:53 AM
So, as you're all aware (if you read the From Dust topic in the strategy section of the forums) I am more than disappointed with the release of From Dust for PC.

I generally think that it is highly unacceptable that Ubisoft felt that they could get away with releasing a crappy console port, whilst totally disregarding the potential power of the PC, and missing the chance of making From Dust a truly beautiful looking game.

From Dust (PC) is a result of shoddy work and laziness, and I am really irritated that the dev team over at Ubisoft Montpellier just seemed to put their feet up a bit when it came to "developing" the title for the PC. I don't want to have to play the game in windowed mode just so that I can make the game look a little bit better by using my ATi CCC, it's just not on, and I'm not willing to make that compromise.

I have posted the email that I sent Ubisoft on my website, and you can read it here (http://game-craic.com/2011/08/my-email-stating-my-disappointment-in-ubisoft/).

I've asked for my money back, and I think that after the disappointed that Ubisoft have brought me and hundreds upon hundreds of other angry and let-down gamers, I won't even bother to buy the game and complete it on the Xbox, because they just do not deserve my money.

If you haven't bought From Dust yet, then I highly recommend you to buy it for one of your consoles, if you have one at all. If not, you will have to make do I suppose, that's if you really want the game. The gameplay is really good, the idea is excellent, but you cannot ignore the poor effort that Ubisoft Montpellier put into this game. It's inexcusable and I refuse to be the dumbass that accepts that they have my money when they don't deserve it.

paecmaker
08-19-2011, 09:39 AM
I honor you for your dedication to PC, I hoped that even more people would stand up for Pc games more than just complaining in dark forums.

Good job Jay for standing up to your beliefs.

Jayhmmz
08-19-2011, 10:12 AM
I honor you for your dedication to PC, I hoped that even more people would stand up for Pc games more than just complaining in dark forums.

Good job Jay for standing up to your beliefs.

Thank you very much! We must stand up to developers who think it's OK to port games directly from consoles onto PC, just so that they can make a profit without a care in the world. It's wrong, and they should be concerned about the repercussions of this release.

Fr0stByte
08-19-2011, 11:45 AM
i think PC is a huge untapped genre, and developers can make a lot of money if they focused on it...after all there are more pc owners than console owners yes?

Jayhmmz
08-19-2011, 12:06 PM
i think PC is a huge untapped genre, and developers can make a lot of money if they focused on it...after all there are more pc owners than console owners yes?

I do agree with your first point, because PC games could be even more epic than some of the best ones already are, because there is just so many options with almost no limits whatsoever. However, developers need to think about whether or not gamers will be able to run the game when they make such a great looking title. But, for Ubisoft Montpellier and their From Dust game for PC, that was not the case. They just released a gash looking game because they couldn't be bothered reworking it for the PC because it would mean effort'

In regards to your second point, I don't think that there is a factual answer to your question. It has been said that there are a lot more console games than PC gamers, but that would be an inaccurate reading, because I game on both console and PC, so am I classed as a PC gamer or a console gamer?
There will never be an accurate and factual answer to that question, unfortunately.

paecmaker
08-19-2011, 12:21 PM
I do agree with your first point, because PC games could be even more epic than some of the best ones already are, because there is just so many options with almost no limits whatsoever. However, developers need to think about whether or not gamers will be able to run the game when they make such a great looking title. But, for Ubisoft Montpellier and their From Dust game for PC, that was not the case. They just released a gash looking game because they couldn't be bothered reworking it for the PC because it would mean effort'

Yeah, just look at battlefield, I think more games would be more in that direction if they didnt adapted the pc versions after the consoles. The reason pc gaming is starting to lack is because except from a few games console players lack almost nothing in graphics because the graphics in both the pc and console are based on the console graphics engine.

More studios should start with the pc version and then adapt that version into a console version if they now want it.

Jayhmmz
08-19-2011, 12:37 PM
Yeah, just look at battlefield, I think more games would be more in that direction if they didnt adapted the pc versions after the consoles. The reason pc gaming is starting to lack is because except from a few games console players lack almost nothing in graphics because the graphics in both the pc and console are based on the console graphics engine.

More studios should start with the pc version and then adapt that version into a console version if they now want it.

Agreed. Or they could just split their development team into making a PC version and a console version from scratch. Easy solutions that are overlooked. I wish that I was the managing director for a developer, because I'd crack the whip like there was no tomorrow and have people produce me a great game.

paecmaker
08-19-2011, 01:31 PM
Agreed. Or they could just split their development team into making a PC version and a console version from scratch. Easy solutions that are overlooked. I wish that I was the managing director for a developer, because I'd crack the whip like there was no tomorrow and have people produce me a great game.

Nay, you dont need a whip, just make sure that its a good workplace, naughty dog studios got very good games and are a very good workplace, the same with Dice.

Samus-Fan
08-19-2011, 02:11 PM

I'm sure that's what PC gamers believe, but being a console game (with PC gaming on the side) I strongly, STRONGLY disagree with this.
For starters, PC already gets updates when the consoles don't. PC games are kept more alive with fan-made material for games like TF2 and Left 4 Dead.
Console games mostly have to pay for updates like those, and rarely even get updates.
If anything, PC games should come after consoles games have. If you wanna complain because your computer can't run Crysis or Oblivion, but your Portal 2 looks blah, that's just dumb. Most PC Games don't focus 10000% on graphics because not every single person has a computer that can handle top of the line graphics. They make something everyone can run, especially when not everyone can afford top-of-the-line hardware for their computer.
And lets say they made Left 4 Dead ONLY for PC. It does great on that platform, whats the reason to make it for a console? it would cause more angry console gamers because less games would be multiplatform, and more would be PC exclusives, because the developers (Who have already been called lazy) will be too lazy to bring it to a console 2 months after being released for PC.

ROFLBRYCE
08-19-2011, 02:21 PM
I'm sure that's what PC gamers believe, but being a console game (with PC gaming on the side) I strongly, STRONGLY disagree with this.
For starters, PC already gets updates when the consoles don't. PC games are kept more alive with fan-made material for games like TF2 and Left 4 Dead.
Console games mostly have to pay for updates like those, and rarely even get updates.
If anything, PC games should come after consoles games have. If you wanna complain because your computer can't run Crysis or Oblivion, but your Portal 2 looks blah, that's just dumb. Most PC Games don't focus 10000% on graphics because not every single person has a computer that can handle top of the line graphics. They make something everyone can run, especially when not everyone can afford top-of-the-line hardware for their computer.
And lets say they made Left 4 Dead ONLY for PC. It does great on that platform, whats the reason to make it for a console? it would cause more angry console gamers because less games would be multiplatform, and more would be PC exclusives, because the developers (Who have already been called lazy) will be too lazy to bring it to a console 2 months after being released for PC.

This. The PC shouldn't be neglected, but I think console gaming is where the focus is at and should be for developers. More people play consoles just for the reason that a high-end gaming PC, or even a mediocre one (that's gonna need pricey upgrades even sooner) is too expensive. I think they should still put effort into the PC end of it, just consoles need love too. Like Samus said, we get jipped on a lot of cool stuff. I wish I could afford a good PC, but I can't. So I can't enjoy all the features of the game. More content in some games should be a reasonable trade-off for some slacked graphics in others.

Also, I'm not sure if I agree with how you went about it. Sticking your neck out and voicing your opinion to the people behind it, good job man. Others would just go to a forum and whine, you let the people behind it know how you feel. It's just over the issue. The situation looks to be like you went to 7-11, seen the new Peanut Butter Snickers bar, took a bite, and wanted a refund because there wasn't enough peanut butter in it. That's just how I see it though, I'm not trying to get personal or anything.

Synge
08-19-2011, 03:12 PM
^PC is actually a bigger market than you seem to think; For example, it was revealed in recent EA financial reports that they make more money from PC than either consoles.

So I don't see why consoles should have primary focus.. Games should be optimized for all platforms they're on; That means taking advantage of PC's superior capabilities, but also not crapping out on the console version.

ROFLBRYCE
08-19-2011, 03:37 PM
^PC is actually a bigger market than you seem to think; For example, it was revealed in recent EA financial reports that they make more money from PC than either consoles.

Consoles as a whole, or individually? I can see that PC would rack in a ton of money, and I do know it's a huge market, but it can't be outrunning PS3, Wii, and the 360 combined?

Games should be optimized for all platforms they're on; That means taking advantage of PC's superior capabilities, but also not crapping out on the console version.

Yeah that's what I said in my other post. The PC should have the same amount of effort thrown into it, and it shouldn't be cut short of the console versions. But lots of games on PC do get extra content and features from fans and developers, where the consoles are cut short. It's no excuse for developers to go "good enough", but graphics aren't absolutely everything. I can still enjoy my N64 games from the story and the gameplay, which should be the real focus of issues. If they cut out levels, mutilated the controls to make it impossible for a mouse and keyboard, yeah I'd be throwing a s**t-fit too even if I hadn't played the game on PC. Something like that really wouldn't be fair.

paecmaker
08-19-2011, 03:38 PM
This. The PC shouldn't be neglected, but I think console gaming is where the focus is at and should be for developers. More people play consoles just for the reason that a high-end gaming PC, or even a mediocre one (that's gonna need pricey upgrades even sooner) is too expensive. I think they should still put effort into the PC end of it, just consoles need love too. Like Samus said, we get jipped on a lot of cool stuff. I wish I could afford a good PC, but I can't. So I can't enjoy all the features of the game. More content in some games should be a reasonable trade-off for some slacked graphics in others.

Im not saying that we should just ignore consoles, but many gaming computers out there are potentially stronger than the consoles. If many games concentrated on console first(like they do) makes it almost useless having a top notch computer because the graphics dont use all the things because they has to rely on 5-7 years old hardware. Now if they focus the engine first and foremost on the pc(but dont ignore the consoles either) the game can look very beautiful both on computer and console (Im talking battlefield3 here)

What I hate is when they also realease all ports at the same time, I see that Either they focus the graphics first on the pc and then makes it so it fits on a console or they make the console game first and then start working with the pc version. I have seen to many time bad pc ports of games that could be som much better.

Synge
08-19-2011, 03:57 PM
Consoles as a whole, or individually? I can see that PC would rack in a ton of money, and I do know it's a huge market, but it can't be outrunning PS3, Wii, and the 360 combined?
Oh, individually of course, but several of EA's titles aren't on 1 or more of the consoles, and they exclude the Wii almost entirely.

It's no excuse for developers to go "good enough", but graphics aren't absolutely everything. I can still enjoy my N64 games from the story and the gameplay, which should be the real focus of issues. If they cut out levels, mutilated the controls to make it impossible for a mouse and keyboard, yeah I'd be throwing a s**t-fit too even if I hadn't played the game on PC. Something like that really wouldn't be fair.
I'm not a graphics whore by any means. Hell, about the only thing I use my Wii for is the Virtual Console, playing NES and SNES games, and I wouldn't even say the N64 has 'bad' graphics :P Some of the games, Banjo and OoT for example, have aged fairly well I think.

I'm not sure if the sh*t-fit comment was directed at me, but this whole thing isn't even affection me, I was just commenting that I think games should be made to take advantage of the hardware they're played on.

ROFLBRYCE
08-19-2011, 04:29 PM
Oh, individually of course, but several of EA's titles aren't on 1 or more of the consoles, and they exclude the Wii almost entirely.

This makes sense. I know a lot more people who play EA Sports games on PC rather than consoles.

I'm not sure if the sh*t-fit comment was directed at me, but this whole thing isn't even affection me, I was just commenting that I think games should be made to take advantage of the hardware they're played on.

Oh no man, it wasn't directed at anyone. I was just speaking generally, if they made major changes porting over to PC or something. I'd be upset too, even if I had the console version. They should be made to take advantage of the system used, but there are still good games that don't use the full potential graphically or performance wise. I've yet to play From Dust, but I'm sure this is one of them.

Synge
08-19-2011, 04:43 PM
Ahh yeah, I misread your post but I see what you were saying now, and I agree.

But anyway, be sure to let us know what Ubi say when/if they reply, Jay.

Jayhmmz
08-19-2011, 05:32 PM
This makes sense. I know a lot more people who play EA Sports games on PC rather than consoles.

That is quite strange. I know a superior amount of people that play EA sports games on the Xbox and PS3 haha.

But anyway, be sure to let us know what Ubi say when/if they reply, Jay.

Oh I shall, don't you worry!

Exentenzed
08-19-2011, 10:52 PM
I sort of disagree. Ports are basicly existant because when the modern consoles started popping up everywhere people wanted to have the liberty to choose what they were going play the game on.

If you are fed up with crappy ports then buy the game on the platform it was designed for.

BECAUSE:
1. It will more than likely have much more natural feeling controls
2. It might look better
3. Gameplay overall usually is better.

In my opinion the ports should be considered a favor to fanboys who refuses to play the game on the platform it was designed for.

P.S: No, i am not saying every port is a disaster, but a succesful port depends on the team working on it as you have pointed out, but also depends on what method and tools they used to design the game.

Some games just arent meant to be ported, it would be like fitting a V12 in a Nissan micra, if people *****ed about doing it enough someone would try. But you would most likely not like the outcome.

Jayhmmz
08-20-2011, 07:07 AM
If you are fed up with crappy ports then buy the game on the platform it was designed for.

You've missed the point of the email that I sent to Ubisoft.
Why should I have to compromise and buy it on the console? If I want to buy it on the PC, I will buy it on the PC, and I expect the game to be of the highest quality.

I shouldn't have to be forced to buy it on another platform just because the developer cannot be arsed to do their jobs properly.

Exentenzed
08-20-2011, 12:14 PM
Quoute from my previous post.

P.S: No, i am not saying every port is a disaster, but a succesful port depends on the team working on it as you have pointed out, but also depends on what method and tools they used to design the game.

egg-whites333
08-20-2011, 07:46 PM
please if you get a reply please give it to us :)

Slay
08-20-2011, 08:11 PM
please if you get a reply please give it to us :)

He said he would.
I doubt they will, they are rolling in dough, you already bought the game, so they won.

V New Nyan Kitties V

Shooter99
08-27-2011, 04:59 PM
Thank you very much! We must stand up to developers who think it's OK to port games directly from consoles onto PC, just so that they can make a profit without a care in the world. It's wrong, and they should be concerned about the repercussions of this release.

They already have enough money from consoles, so they completely ignore the PC gamers. Even if we stand up, we won't achieve much, so it's no use. Also, Ubisoft are not the only ones who have done that. There are Crytek, Treyarch, Infinity Ward etc... They have no profit from PC games (well, not as much as they get from consoles), so they don't care.