PDA

View Full Version : Language and Foreign Language in Gaming

Andovar Global - Gaming
08-22-2011, 10:51 AM
Hi Everyone,

I joined this forum so that I can get a better understanding of what actual gamers think about the language used in their games.

I'm referring to translations, voiceovers and how language affects gameplay.

A little about me: I am not a "gamer" per se, but I have played many video games in my life (age 33) and have always loved RPGs, FPSs and anything with a good story (especially horror, scifi and fantasy).

I hope to hear from people with any comments or discussions about the topic of this thread.

Thanks!

Steve

Jayhmmz
08-22-2011, 12:32 PM
Hi Everyone,

I joined this forum so that I can get a better understanding of what actual gamers think about the language used in their games.

I'm referring to translations, voiceovers and how language affects gameplay.

A little about me: I am not a "gamer" per se, but I have played many video games in my life (age 33) and have always loved RPGs, FPSs and anything with a good story (especially horror, scifi and fantasy).

I hope to hear from people with any comments or discussions about the topic of this thread.

Thanks!

Steve

Well in regards to narration, it can really give a game a powerful edge if it's trying to tell an interactive story, like in the new game Bastion. In terms of language and general voice acting, then it is vital that it's spot on to give a game it's authenticity. It's crucial.

paecmaker
08-22-2011, 12:45 PM
Yes the lanuguage is very importent, and I hate that sometimes the english just sucks, take stalker for example. The atmosphere is wonderfull until a guy open his mouth to greet you. Thankfully most conversations are with text cause if they had the voices almost the game would be ruined.

And In stalker 2033 I played both in English and in russia to get the right feeling.

Slay
08-22-2011, 12:47 PM
Well, I feel dialect effects a game hugely!
For example:
Just Cause 2 takes place in a southern American setting, so you'd expect people to talk English, but with an accent, so that gamers can understand what's going on, depending on the gameplay of any game, subtitles can be annoying, but should always be optional.
But, sometimes for an antagonist, I like to think adding character to him is important just as much as the protagonist, so maybe making him spanish, and only spanish would be cool, add realism to the game. But still, add subtitle, un optional for those parts, I also like to see subtitles for most cutscenes.

wow gold guide
09-02-2011, 02:05 AM
It's a good idea ...............

paecmaker
09-02-2011, 02:06 AM
It's a good idea ...............

WHAT, is a good ide?

Fr0stByte
09-02-2011, 08:49 AM
narration is good, it can give an edge to games like jayhmmz sed....but using foreign languages like "tango sucker" and "your mother" from the rebels in mw2 sounds false...and funny