PDA

View Full Version : What Mods Do You Think Are "Essential" to Have on the Server?

Muffincat
09-21-2011, 01:50 PM
Keep in mind, we won't be using all of the ones you suggest. I want to stay away from economy mods, mmo mods, anything that changes the game drastically. I know people really love /home, so we might put that in, I guess. Will probably give mods item spawning and stuff (though we won't really be using it much).

We're using Bukkit, so if you don't know what kinds of mods there are, you can check out their site.

edit:

For mods:
-Whitelist
-"OP" status/ranks
-Item spawning, teleport
-Ability to move bedrock

For everyone:
-The death thing (tells the server how you died :P)
-/home

For the record, mods won't be using these abilities unless there is some reason they need to. That's why everyone doesn't have them.

Diligence109
09-21-2011, 02:06 PM
I'm okay with everything suggested so far (just what Muffincat has added to the post already) even though I don't like /home because it takes away the need to travel/explore the beautiful and immersive game world :P

Unless anyone else has any suggestions, I don't think we really need any other mods!

Muffincat
09-21-2011, 02:09 PM
I'm okay with everything suggested so far (just what Muffincat has added to the post already) even though I don't like /home because it takes away the need to travel/explore the beautiful and immersive game world :P

Unless anyone else has any suggestions, I don't think we really need any other mods!

I understand that, and sort of feel the same, but I also feel like it's fine. It can be annoying, and you don't have to use it... and sometimes /home is really nice xD We'll make it so W1CKED disables it for just you ;)

Trunks
09-21-2011, 02:41 PM
I've always disliked item spawning items, takes the fun out of the game. Plus even if people say they won't you'll always have mods abusing there teleporting and spawning items. It always happens, I've learned from past experience. Same with teleporting, it's just a easy way to get out of things and takes away from the game.

You can always build a compass if you get lost. I've dug down many times because I got lost while exploring and didn't bring a compass.

That's just my thoughts on things.

Muffincat
09-21-2011, 03:03 PM
No, the mods aren't going to be abusing it. Because dili and I are the mods. And we've been mods on the server for a long time. And we don't like to use mods; we just have them because sometimes things are necessary. We don't give other people or ourselves items, we don't teleport ferry people around, but it's necessary to make sure that other people aren't messing with things.

It was more necessary before, because we didn't have a whitelist and there were a bunch of griefers, so we needed to be able to teleport to people to be able to check them out/keep them from ruining things... but you never know what will happen. You can't just trust that everyone is going to play for everyone else's benefit. We need to be able to teleport to people if there happens to be a problem.

So... yeah.

edit: Also, the best way to keep from getting lost is just writing the coordinates down of where you've built if you went exploring...

Trunks
09-21-2011, 03:13 PM
Never thought of the coordinates thing before, will have to try that next time.

On the server I play on, he has something that saved the server ever night around 3.00 am real time. That was if anything disastrous happens you can just load the server and you only lose 1 day of work instead of all of it. That may be a good feature to add, not sure if it is a mod or what. If you think you may be interested in it I can ask him about it.

Diligence109
09-21-2011, 06:51 PM
automatic backups of the server's world file don't require mods, though some mods facilitate it. The server running minecraft is W1CKED's and is also home to some of his other stuff - I'm not sure how frequently he backs it up, but he's a network systems admin so he's more than likely has better backup habits about all his data than most of the rest of us on the forum here.

And yeah, none of our mods abuse item spawning and teleporting. I want to play the game, too, and don't have trouble resisting /give or /tp.

egg-whites333
09-21-2011, 09:26 PM
not a need but if you can get mo creatures we can have pet kittens and horses and all that stuff

CraeSC111
10-10-2011, 01:09 PM
Heres a list of mods i think would be good to have for the server:

Anti-Creeper Mod; Disables damage from creeper explosions: http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/anticreeper/

MCMMO; provides a skill leveling system which adds new depth to the game and makes doing everything more fun: http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/mcmmo/

More coming later when my internet decides to stop being slow :)

Muffincat
10-10-2011, 04:24 PM
Heres a list of mods i think would be good to have for the server:

Anti-Creeper Mod; Disables damage from creeper explosions: http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/anticreeper/

MCMMO; provides a skill leveling system which adds new depth to the game and makes doing everything more fun: http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/mcmmo/

More coming later when my internet decides to stop being slow :)

Yeah, we specifically don't want mods that change the game too much, like these.

We want it to be pretty much vanilla, with only a couple fun things (like /home), even though I'd rather just have it be totally vanilla... but we're willing to put /home, because it's not a huge deal and can relieve a lot of frustration.

Slay
10-10-2011, 04:27 PM
Well, I think the level mod was a great idea.
Dedicated forum members should slowly get bonuses on the server, something like every 500 blocks increase your level.

I thought the faction mod was a good idea, just to say that more than one person is working together, but that would more than likely lead to PVPing.

WorldEdit, to help the moderators out, and that is about it.

CraeSC111
10-10-2011, 04:48 PM
I myself would prefer not to have the anti creeper mod because I love creepers, but if you disable the special abilities on MCMMO then it doesn't change the game too drastically.

Slay
10-10-2011, 04:58 PM
I agree, creepers are the challenge of the game. Surviving is the game, not picnicking.

CraeSC111
10-10-2011, 05:20 PM
Well, I think the level mod was a great idea.
Dedicated forum members should slowly get bonuses on the server, something like every 500 blocks increase your level.

I thought the faction mod was a good idea, just to say that more than one person is working together, but that would more than likely lead to PVPing.

WorldEdit, to help the moderators out, and that is about it.

The MCMMO mod has an exponential level requirement system. As you grow in levels you will need exponentially more blocks. I.E. first level: 100 block, second level: 300 block and so on

Slay
10-10-2011, 05:27 PM
The MCMMO mod has an exponential level requirement system. As you grow in levels you will need exponentially more blocks. I.E. first level: 100 block, second level: 300 block and so on

Still a good way to level up, and fair, too.

Muffincat
10-10-2011, 11:35 PM
Notch is going to add "levels" and everything to the game already... that's why the experience bar is there. So I'd rather not add a mod for something that's going to be implemented, anyway

Slay
10-11-2011, 06:41 AM
I would like teleporting requests, I can't remember the name but.
/tpahere Muffincat and you can accept it and tele to me.

ROFLBRYCE
10-11-2011, 11:08 AM
I would like teleporting requests, I can't remember the name but.
/tpahere Muffincat and you can accept it and tele to me.

I like this idea. There's a lot of spread out people on the server...takes me a while to get back to spawn, and Synge built farther away from me in the opposite direction lol. Would be nice to get around. Also, we should find coords and build a localized GF town or something.

egg-whites333
10-11-2011, 08:58 PM
i want to make train stations around the server to get around but i cant rny cornputer sucks and it wont let me be on for super long plus i have no iron

CraeSC111
10-11-2011, 10:41 PM
Why don't we get world guard and create like a railway system, then guard if from those pesky creepers? Or we could make a big fence now that I think about it......

ROFLBRYCE
10-12-2011, 01:34 AM
Why don't we get world guard and create like a railway system, then guard if from those pesky creepers? Or we could make a big fence now that I think about it......

The old railway was just boxed in with glass and was underground to make tunnels, with torches littered all over the place so enemies didn't spawn too close. It'd be cool to have a railway up and running again.

Slay
10-12-2011, 07:38 AM
Why don't we get world guard and create like a railway system, then guard if from those pesky creepers? Or we could make a big fence now that I think about it...... The fence would need to be underground to stay out of someones way, or someone will break through it, add fences or bridges every so many ways down.

ditzzy
01-11-2012, 02:56 PM
world edit world gaurd and essentials are the main ones i think also logblock to keep an eye on the griefers