PDA

View Full Version : Forum Downtime

LiNuX
09-27-2007, 11:38 AM
If no one realized, the forum was down for about 5 hrs this morning - the server was moved and upgraded :-) it is supposedly faster but i don't feel it lol.

It was done early in the morning so not many people would realize the downtime and be turned off.

Well if you experience slowness or lagging or errors, let me know, i'll get to fixing it soon.

p.s. sorry no advance notice was given, i thought it was gonna happen this saturday but it was moved up 2 days

Blackbird
09-27-2007, 12:22 PM
Yeah I'm have been here all day :)

Scott
09-27-2007, 03:07 PM
I never even noticed. Because of H3 I have been up till 4 am then chased up for school at 8 lol

lonewolfxix
09-27-2007, 03:38 PM
I noticed.. i was kind of annoyed.. i had some topics i wanted to post... i can't really remember what those topics were, though. I guess I'll post them when i can remember.

LiNuX
09-27-2007, 04:21 PM
u should write them down next time lol - sorry for that - i was hoping they would do it a bit earlier - but i was asleep lol so didnt notice much, just the last 30 mins of it

and dont worry, daily backups are taken to avoid those big mishaps :-) im more careful now :D

Jasperking
09-27-2007, 04:53 PM
sorry but i didnt notice because i havent been on the forums much today because of fixing something and doing homework lol. But im glad that the forum was upgraded even a little :)

LiNuX
09-27-2007, 05:28 PM
just the servers have more memory and the speed was highered a little bit, i dont feel it though lol, but i've been lagging the past 2 months so i dont know anymore, hopefully its fixed by next week :D

not many people were on today for some reason, activity slowed down a bit :(

Scott
09-28-2007, 09:01 AM
not many people were on today for some reason, activity slowed down a bit :(

Yeah a lot of forums have gone quiet. I think Halo has something to do with it.
But the holiday season is always the busiest time on the forums... Because of all the games!

LiNuX
09-28-2007, 08:00 PM
yup cuz i remember last december and january - two best months for forum activity, registration, traffic, etc.. :D - all starts to head towards that from october and november

so looking forward to that now

stupid halo taking away activity from MY forum - dont care about the rest lol

Jasperking
09-28-2007, 08:26 PM
Hmm well by now alot of people have completed halo 3 so people should start coming back :p. Although ofcourse theres always xbox live...

LiNuX
09-28-2007, 08:53 PM
Hmm well by now alot of people have completed halo 3 so people should start coming back :p. Although ofcourse theres always xbox live...

wow that game was that short? and curse that xbox live for now lol, everything will go back to normal in a week or so, it always does, same thing when halo 2 came out lol

Scott
09-29-2007, 07:34 AM
wow that game was that short?

Oh yeah it was only 10 hours. But Mass Effect CoD4 and Assassins Creed are on the way too so the forum is doomed!!

GF Eric
09-29-2007, 07:39 AM
It took me 8 hours to beat Halo 3. The forum is not doomed cause COD4 and Assassins Creed aren't all hyped up like Halo 3 ways.

Jasperking
09-29-2007, 07:46 AM
yeah... the forum is DOOOOOOMED... for a while

GF Eric
09-29-2007, 07:52 AM
Ok for the rest of the week they are due to the HALO 3 FRENZY on Xbox Live. Its funny I haven't seen any of my friends on my block for the past couple days cause they all got Halo 3 and online.

Scott
09-29-2007, 08:11 AM
It took me 8 hours to beat Halo 3. The forum is not doomed cause COD4 and Assassins Creed aren't all hyped up like Halo 3 ways.

CoD4 is hyped. Because it looks good. And H3 takes 10 hours to complete on Heroic apparently.

LiNuX
09-29-2007, 10:19 AM
people are still coming, posting, registering, forum is NOT doomed, it will be when i throw my laptop out the window because internet makes me mad

Blackbird
09-29-2007, 11:19 AM
I know the forum is not doomed for only that :P

Scott
09-30-2007, 07:50 AM
people are still coming, posting, registering, forum is NOT doomed, it will be when i throw my laptop out the window because internet makes me mad

Lol yeah but I think we could manage without you ;-)

LiNuX
09-30-2007, 11:23 AM
sadly you can, but only for so long, you need me to backup the whole directory and database of the forum, and if anything happens to the server, i can only look into it and contact the host, and then comes to domain issues. etc..

Jasperking
09-30-2007, 12:34 PM
without linux here to backup the forum what happens if there is a DDOS attack or something simular. Then we will be screwed..

LiNuX
09-30-2007, 12:37 PM
without linux here to backup the forum what happens if there is a DDOS attack or something simular. Then we will be screwed..

yup, then you end up losing 5 months data and then what? lol - im sure the forum members will riot a little bit but then give up cuz no one knows where i live

Scott
09-30-2007, 09:20 PM
yup, then you end up losing 5 months data and then what? lol - im sure the forum members will riot a little bit but then give up cuz no one knows where i live

Lol ~This would only happen in the simpsons world 'cause everything no matter how crazy could happen there ~ well we could always tell the cia you are a terrorist and let them deal with you

LiNuX
09-30-2007, 09:27 PM
lol haha, u'll have to know my name at least :D only like 4 people on this board know my real name and thats only cuz they went to school with me at one time or another :D

Scott
09-30-2007, 09:29 PM
lol haha, u'll have to know my name at least :D only like 4 people on this board know my real name and thats only cuz they went to school with me at one time or another :D

The CIA would find you ;-)

LiNuX
09-30-2007, 09:32 PM
The CIA would find you ;-)

of course they would lol, just track my IP and go to the wrong house since im not even on my ip yet, just yet

oh well back to topic - forum wont be down for no reason and it wont shut down anytime soon, not as long as i have advertisers to help me pay for hosting and stuff and not as long as i have working brain :spinny:

Scott
09-30-2007, 09:35 PM
oh well back to topic - forum wont be down for no reason and it wont shut down anytime soon, not as long as i have advertisers to help me pay for hosting and stuff and not as long as i have working brain :spinny:

Good so the forum is safe for now. Lol people actually pay you to advertise on here?. You should make a million forums and ask sony to advertise on them all then you'd be rich and sony would be bankrupt - kill 2 birds with one stone lol :laugh:

LiNuX
09-30-2007, 09:39 PM
lol, its not just about making forums and advertising, i had 2 other forums that shut down, its really tough and time consuming to manage a forum and i wish sony would contact me to advertise here lol, i'd be soo rich but we arent that well developed yet

others advertise here because this forum is building its rep througout the net. i've advertised it well and brought its stats pretty high. In google we have over 11,000 pages indexed :D not too many forums would have that and we are over a year old - many forums shut down within a few months - and we are a PR3 forum, you won't find too many of that other than the gamefaqs, gamespot, and other huge gaming forums

and....we are one of the very few active gaming forums that has the words "game" and "forum" in the title :D

bet you didnt know most of these facts

Scott
09-30-2007, 09:46 PM
lol, its not just about making forums and advertising, i had 2 other forums that shut down, its really tough and time consuming to manage a forum and i wish sony would contact me to advertise here lol, i'd be soo rich but we arent that well developed yet

others advertise here because this forum is building its rep througout the net. i've advertised it well and brought its stats pretty high. In google we have over 11,000 pages indexed :D not too many forums would have that and we are over a year old - many forums shut down within a few months - and we are a PR3 forum, you won't find too many of that other than the gamefaqs, gamespot, and other huge gaming forums

and....we are one of the very few active gaming forums that has the words "game" and "forum" in the title :D

bet you didnt know most of these facts

Yeah I know how hard it is to have a forum. Free Forums are difficult to make popular. But as some (boring) badge forum proved it is possible (as long as you have 30 friends who will post every day lol).

LiNuX
09-30-2007, 09:58 PM
lol haha yea, this used to be a free forum on a free software - first we used yabb which looked completely crap - i have the archive on file if you want to view just PM me i'll give you the url later

then we had SMF which looked way better with more mods and stuff - also have the archive if you want to view :D

and now this one - vBulletin - you joined a month after we converted to vB

Scott
09-30-2007, 10:00 PM
I prefer VB. They look the best. And the mod panel is best.
But SMF is my second fav. Because I knew someone who is a mod on there support site so he showed me everything :D

LiNuX
09-30-2007, 10:06 PM
i know everything about smf too lol, well i used to, im sure a lot has changed :D and mod panel for vb is unique - they have one for phpBB but requires a LOT of coding - vb comes with it, thank god lol, saves me trouble - saves staff trouble of managing too