PDA

View Full Version : To Game or not to Game??

Noob4Life
11-17-2011, 10:21 AM
Hey all! I'm new to the forum and was just wanting to get some opinions from some experienced gamers. I have a few years under my belt when it comes to gaming, but it is more of a hobby, not my life. I have recently decided that I've had enough with standard store bought PCs (laptops and all) and am wanting to begin to build my own gamer desktop. I am a fan of laptops with their mobility and all, but I am looking to bunker down at home and just use my laptop for my schooling while I am at work. I guess what I am wanting to know is if the following items seem good for a gamer desktop. If not, what do you recommend??? Thanks in advance and happy gaming!!

AMD Athlon II X2-270 processor
3.40GHz, 2MB Cache

8GB DDR3 SDRAM system memory
Gives you the power to handle most power-hungry applications and tons of multimedia work

500GB SATA hard drive
Store 333,000 photos, 142,000 songs or 263 hours of HD video and more

24x DVD+/-R/RW drive
Watch movies, and read and write CDs and DVDs in multiple formats

10/100/1000Base-T Ethernet
Connect to a broadband modem or wired broadband router with wired Ethernet

ATI Radeon HD 6450 Graphics
With 1GB video memory, DVI, HDMI and VGA capabilities

Noob

Now, when I say "good" I mean good enough. I am married with kids and I know for a fact that spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars on a MAJOR suped up gamer will not fly in my house (nor do I really want to spend that much). So...i know i COULD go with 16gb ddr, I know i COULD go with at least a tb of space, etc. But, just shoot yalls opinions and thanks again!

HamadaLFC8
11-17-2011, 10:37 AM
Hey welcome to the forums! I'm sure you'll like it here. Read the Faq's and rules please!

Sadly, I'm not so good with computers but we have quiet a number of people who are, who I'm sure will help you out! :)

also next time please don't double post ;)

Mizel
11-17-2011, 11:38 AM
Hi and welcome!

If your looking for something to run games decently, that isn't crazy overpriced then what you have there looks fine to me.

I, personallyyyyy, would go with the tb of space... only because I have 500g and I used it all in no time ;)

Noob4Life
11-17-2011, 02:38 PM
Hey welcome to the forums! I'm sure you'll like it here. Read the Faq's and rules please!

Sadly, I'm not so good with computers but we have quiet a number of people who are, who I'm sure will help you out! :)

also next time please don't double post ;)

Sorry about that Hamada, next time I will edit my post instead *palm-->Face*

And Mizel, is there a better Graphics option you would recommend? For the most part, I will be playing games such as Skyrim (and games like it) and mmos. Thanks again! ;)

Noob

Mizel
11-17-2011, 03:37 PM
Tbh… the graphics card isn’t the greatest.

But Im not sure what kinda budget you have… if anything Id scrap any other possible upgrades and upgrade that.

Here’s 2 sites that may help with picking one:

http://www.techspot.com/review/245-ati-radeon-hd-5570/page7.html

AMD Radeon HD 6450 512 MB Review - Page 6/26 | techPowerUp (http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_6450/6.html)

Noob4Life
11-17-2011, 03:56 PM
OK, that was my thought process as well. The first thing I always desire to upgrade is the graphics. I will look into those sites. All of the items on the list come standard in a computer and it is all for a pretty good price imo. So I am probably going to just snag that deal then take my time upgrading each item when I desire too. So, keeping that in mind (the time I am willing to put into the computer) my budget is pretty much extremely flexible. As they say, a desperate person can be a dangerous person...and at this moment I am anything BUT desperate. :p:p

noob

Mizel
11-18-2011, 08:42 AM
That’s what I always for first as well are graphics card and HD space. But I totally recommend exactly what you wanna do: get a fairly standard computer and upgrade. I think it’s more fun that way ;) Just make sure everything that comes standard is able to be upgraded to what you want it to be…. Def made that mistake before :P

Noob4Life
11-18-2011, 10:07 AM
Will do and thanks again for the links they were helpful. *thumbs up*

noob

HamadaLFC8
11-18-2011, 10:28 AM
Also you can check this link out : Can You Run It? (http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/intro.aspx) you choose your game, the system analyzes your computer and tells you if it's good enough to run that particular game ;D

Noob4Life
11-18-2011, 10:42 AM
This is an awesome site! Thanks Hamada

CraeSC111
11-18-2011, 11:34 AM
Where are you buying from?

Noob4Life
11-18-2011, 12:06 PM
Where are you buying from?

OK...originally it was off of EBAY, then I found same one from SEARS, then I found the same exact thing for under $400 from online at WalMart's site. Deep down inside it feels weird buying a gamer PC from WalMart but I will be replacing a few of the key components. lol

ShadowWhite
11-19-2011, 05:13 PM
Do not trust analytics from those websites. They have nothing with the reality.

CraeSC111
11-20-2011, 01:10 PM
Try newegg.com. great place for buying anything computer

betodeth
12-30-2011, 01:07 AM
Wow what a great pcp in thjis times.

Autopops
01-07-2012, 06:31 AM
you need a better processor for modern games get an I5

PressKean
01-09-2012, 08:21 AM
you need a better processor for modern games get an I5

The processor's totally fine. However, you may want to consider getting GTX430 Ti and above. I'm using a GTX 460 Ti and it works totally great for just any games :)