PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Steam Game Launch Problems

Jayhmmz
12-26-2011, 10:09 AM
Hey forum, I hope everybody had a very merry Christmas! :)

I purchased NBA 2K12 from the Steam store yesterday afternoon in the Steam sale, and despite the Steam servers running very slow, everything downloaded and installed perfectly.

I am however having problems launching the game. When I go to launch the game via the desktop shortcut, the Steam library, or the root folder, Steam notifies me that its preparing to launch the game. It gives me the CD key to copy to the clipboard in case I need it in-game, I press Play again, and then nothing happens. Not a sausage.

I've tried re-installing the game, restarting my PC, running the game in administrator, but still, nothing. It prepares to launch the game, then nothing. I checked my processes and the game doesn't even show up in that.

I've scoured Google, and some people are having the same problem, but there has been no solid solution. I've tried contacting Steam support but they haven't replied to me yet with it being the holiday period.

Any ideas? <3

LiNuX
12-26-2011, 11:09 AM
Steam probably hasn't replied yet because Christmas just ended, but hopefully they will soon.

I had the same issue with BFBC2 when I first got it, Had to reinstalled twice and it was fixed for me.

Other than that, not sure what else you could do. I haven't had any problems with any purchase after that.

Kink3bird
12-26-2011, 08:59 PM
I had the same problem with Fable, I forget how I managed to finally fix it but I remember being on the phone with customer support and I managed to do it on my own while he was telling me to hold.

I'll try and keep you updated, I'm gonna try and go back for ya and figure out how I did it.

Jayhmmz
12-27-2011, 07:54 AM
I had the same problem with Fable, I forget how I managed to finally fix it but I remember being on the phone with customer support and I managed to do it on my own while he was telling me to hold.

I'll try and keep you updated, I'm gonna try and go back for ya and figure out how I did it.

Cheers mate, that would be magic. I tried to find a phone number on the Steam site before, but it was just pointing me back towards the Steam Support questions section. Still awaiting a reply to that question too.

Kink3bird
12-27-2011, 06:22 PM
I haven't figured it out yet but your best bet would be to call Steam and have them walk you through it. I'm not very tech savvy and I was indeed able to do it on my own after some guidance from the tech support guy. I think you should do the same thing I did, just call him, use your common sense and hopefully you'll stumble onto the solution like I did.

I wish I could be more help but when I had this problem with fable it was a few months ago now so I don't know where to begin again.

Jayhmmz
12-27-2011, 06:30 PM
I haven't figured it out yet but your best bet would be to call Steam and have them walk you through it. I'm not very tech savvy and I was indeed able to do it on my own after some guidance from the tech support guy. I think you should do the same thing I did, just call him, use your common sense and hopefully you'll stumble onto the solution like I did.

I wish I could be more help but when I had this problem with fable it was a few months ago now so I don't know where to begin again.

Can't find a number to call mate. I don't think they make one available any more. All support questions are dealt with via tickets :(

I installed it on my laptop and it worked fine. Even though my laptop is really good, it's nowhere near as good as my PC. Bemused.

Kink3bird
12-27-2011, 06:38 PM
Hold on let me look around my notes for the number I called, I have a sticky note that says Fable Service Tag/Ticket so I'm not even sure now If I was on the phone with Steam or Lionhead Studios.

I'm sorry I'm not being much help dude, I know it sucks not getting a new game to work because of how much it doesn't make sense.

betodeth
12-30-2011, 01:00 AM
the same problem here with fable =(

Jayhmmz
01-02-2012, 11:06 AM
I got a reply from Steam whilst I was away from home. Just returned today, so I'm gunna check it out. Looked like a solid solution at a quick glance, so if it works I will post the fix here.

Jayhmmz
01-02-2012, 07:57 PM
Apologies for bumping my own thread, but it's worth it.

The proposed solutions given to me by the Steam support team a couple of days ago didn't work, whatsoever. Didn't even make one bit of difference. So, I sent them a reply saying so, and demanded another solution or my money back.

Now, considering I bought this game on Christmas day and was eager to play the damn thing that I paid money for, I sent them another ticket, explaining the same problem.

I got a reply to my second ticket this evening, and the reply was a generic, copy and pasted list of possible fixes that I received in the reply to my first ticket. I am furious.

So, needless to say, I replied to the second ticket to tell Steam support that as a paying customer I have a right to personal responses and not some generic crap that has a 50% chance of solving my issue.

I refuse to be palmed off for the next customer. So they can either recommend a fix or give me my money back.

Arse holes.

EDIT.

Fixed it myself. It was Steam Community In-Game that was causing the problem. But of course, Steam Support would never admit to that. Tards. Thank goodness I've got it sorted anyway.

Autopops
01-07-2012, 06:30 AM
i personally never have any issues

Jayhmmz
01-07-2012, 06:52 AM
i personally never have any issues

Thank you for your constructive wisdom, it really helped me a lot. Obviously I reek of sarcasm.