PDA

View Full Version : Article: "How Halo killed the 360"

Scott
09-30-2007, 06:44 PM
This article has more to do with the 360 in general, than it does with Halo... so I'm posting it here. It's hard for me to take someone serious that doesn't know the difference between the words, "Shear" and "Sheer." But I find this article to be quite annoying at best.

http://www.gamerevolver.com/articlenav-52-page-1.html

Microsoft?s Xbox 360 has been on the market for two full years now and has created the a gaming experience for millions that has been memorable, unique, and damn fun. There is no question that the 360 is a powerful machine and can create some terrific games. However, with the launch of Halo 3, Microsoft?s own brainchild from Bungie, and the last of a great series, comes a time of sorrow. Although most gamers won?t notice this effect for about another year, it is happening. Let me explain.

The shear fact that Halo 3 was arguably the most anticipated sequel of all time, including all gaming platforms gives Microsoft a very high standard to live up to. Now that it has been released, a new question has been raised. Is the 360 past its prime and now working on the back nine?

Halo 3 has suffered some serious ridicule from a short campaign mode, to the disk actually corrupting the hard drive. Now, I?m not saying that the game is killing consoles, as this topic comes up with every major release and the forums tend to pack with ?_____ bricked my 360?, but I am saying this, Halo 3?s graphics were not up to par for what they should have been, the games packaging showed signs of being rushed as thousands of gamers reported scratched disks right out of the box, and the fact that hundreds of reports keep flying in that the game locks up. So, with these things in mind, let?s focus on one, graphics.

If Microsoft themselves can not surpass the technology of games like Bioshock or Heavenly Sword on their own console, with a completely in house development, that has been in the works for well over 3 years, how can one expect to see an increase in quality in games to come? The theory here, is that the Xbox has prematurely reached its potential. Instead of continuing to improve on games graphics and play over the course of the consoles life, they have hit a barrier on the limitations of the system. Graphically, Bioshock is as good as it gets at this point and the truth is, there are a lot of games that look very similar to it, graphically speaking, and they have been releasing them avidly over the last 6 months as the console war amplifies between the 360 and the Playstation 3.

Ghost
09-30-2007, 06:47 PM
What new technology did Heavenly Sword offer?? 2.5 hours of button mashing?

Jasperking
09-30-2007, 06:47 PM
rofl halo killing the 360 consoles... maybe sony made the discs do that :laugh:

Scott
09-30-2007, 06:51 PM
Lol it's Slop. Desperate journalism at its very worst.

Halo's longevity is in the multiplayer, and it will be played for many, many years to come.

Bioshock and Heavenly Sword are a feast for the eyes due to their artistry, and not necessarily the technology behind it. Halo has a unique look to it, it's unmistakable, and the presentation of it isn't all that shabby.

I cannot believe he thinks Microsoft is out of AAA titles.

Bottom line, the 360 is not on its last leg, but it has matured in terms of gaming power and prowess. Let us all be thankful to the many marvels it has given us in the gaming world and hope that they can still make some awesome titles. Here’s to you Microsoft, may you figure out what the hell is going on before the gaming world does it for you.

O.M.G.

No **** it has matured in terms of power. Developers tend to get more efficient as they learn the ins and outs of the console. What makes him think this is going to come to a full stop in the near future?

If I were running Game Revolver I wouldn't let this guy publish anything ever again. How embarrassing for them.