PDA

View Full Version : Book Publishing

MortenNS
01-03-2012, 04:41 AM
I know this is not really related to gaming, but not all things in Question & Suggestions are, so I was maybe thinking about trying to publish a book, but I need a good publishing company. That gives average royalties and doesn't cost to much to make the book.

Exodyus
01-03-2012, 06:49 PM
You'd be better off trying to go out of pocket as an unknown author to sell your own book off. Check Amazon and Barnes and Nobles -- pretty sure both will allow you to set up a seller's account for your business-oriented merchandise.

Otherwise, to be a published author, you're looking at something along the lines of 10-20 short stories written, maybe a collection of those works, and if you're looking into books, 1 to 2 already written and the possibility of more on the way. Or various books without sequels (Dean Koontz) written. 2-3.

They want someone dedicated. Someone that's going the extra mile.

If you're looking into Fantasy, check TOR @ Google.

LiNuX
01-03-2012, 06:58 PM
1. Question & suggestions board is for forum related stuff

2. I'm sure there are plenty of companies that will publish but if you're an unknown, they'll want a ton of money to publish you, otherwise as exo said, if you have a ton of written work and the publisher can look at you as a cash cow, then they'll publish you with no cost to you.

But for now, I'd recommend doing something like e-books for the kindle. I was actually thinking of doing something like that but haven't gotten around to setting up a solid idea yet.

Why an e-book? It's cheap, you can be your own publisher, it's cheap, no limit on stock, and it's cheap.

CraeSC111
01-05-2012, 10:33 AM
A good publisher would probably require you to already have some good works. A lot of what I see is people will put their first or second story out for free and if they get enough hype they will look for publishers and be able to show that their stories can pull in customers.

Exodyus
01-05-2012, 10:35 AM
1. Question & suggestions board is for forum related stuff

2. I'm sure there are plenty of companies that will publish but if you're an unknown, they'll want a ton of money to publish you, otherwise as exo said, if you have a ton of written work and the publisher can look at you as a cash cow, then they'll publish you with no cost to you.

But for now, I'd recommend doing something like e-books for the kindle. I was actually thinking of doing something like that but haven't gotten around to setting up a solid idea yet.

Why an e-book? It's cheap, you can be your own publisher, it's cheap, no limit on stock, and it's cheap.

Truth. And you know what I heard ...?

It's cheap.