PDA

View Full Version : Standard rune/masteries?

ROFLBRYCE
02-05-2012, 04:05 PM
Just wondering if there's any real "Standard" or basic set of runes/masteries to use for each role. I kind of have a basic AD carry setup but past that I dunno what to do. I understand that lots of characters need their own builds, but there shouldn't be anything too bad for 1-3 games just starting out or trying them out.

I use AD18 marks and glyphs, flat attack speed seals, and -5% dead quint I got from a riot thing I can't remember.

I know it's not a great build at all, but it's working okay until I get some more IP.

Trunks
02-05-2012, 05:25 PM
My AD carry runes which I use for almost all my AD's is Marks and Seals flat ATK damage. Glyphs are flat atk speed and Quints are Armor Pen.

I like the AD boost for early game so I can hopefully get first blood and win my lane.

LiNuX
02-05-2012, 06:12 PM
I wouldn't say there is a 'standard' set anywhere, just what works for you.

For my AD carries, I go for Armor penetration and attack speed. I have one set for teemo (and other dps) which is full attack speed so I usually hit 2.5 atk spd by lvl 11 or 12.

Then for my AP carries, I used to have full magic pen, but now I switched out half of them for AP per level runes.

Again, it depends on what works for you at that time, meaning what works for you may change.

ROFLBRYCE
02-05-2012, 07:30 PM
Blah they're the correct answers, not what I was looking for at all! haha.

I've just been trying to get into more champions without having to fork out 2K IP for new runes and stuff. Kinda want to learn a couple support champions and more carries, I haven't really played an AP carry other than a few Anivia and Veigar games a while back, and never tried support/jungle/tank.

Trunks
02-05-2012, 10:57 PM
Pre level 30 runes aren't a huge deal. Just have a few AD runes and maybe some armor and MR and you should be fine. I wouldn't worry much about runes until you get to 20 though, because there are tier 3 runes that you can buy.

xLykos
02-05-2012, 11:30 PM
My AD/DPS runes are Armor Pen Marks, Attack Speed Seals, CDR glyphs, and Attack Damage quinns but I'm not sure how good that is. Works well on my Warwick and Yi builds though

CraeSC111
02-06-2012, 03:45 PM
Use pure attack speed runes for kog'maw. The big boast early game really helps with his w ability (or e I can't remember which one is his extra range/damage ability)

Trunks
02-06-2012, 03:51 PM
If you get Q first, you already get a atk speed boost for, pointless to build for atk speed runes with kog, it's wasteful.

CraeSC111
02-06-2012, 03:54 PM
Starting with his q and flat atk speed you're already at 1 atk speed. Much better than the base .7 or so other characters have. I'm sure that there are much better runes I could get for him but I've been wasting all my IP on random champions.

Trunks
02-06-2012, 04:03 PM
Yeah, but all that atk speed is worthless if you do no damage. once kog's Q is at max he gets 30% atk speed in that its self on top of Atk speed boots. Late game the runes are wasted because you won't that atk speed, you'll be close to cap with boots, Q passive and a Phantom Dancer. You'll be close to 2.0 with just that and cap is at 2.5. Much better to get Armor pen and AD runes for Kog. You'll hit way harder at the start then you would with the W buff, even with its extra damage.

CraeSC111
02-06-2012, 04:10 PM
I build kog so his atk speed is around 2.3 when I'm done and he has frozen mallet and 300 or so ad. Allows me to stay back from fights, take hits if I need to and chase fairly well. Only problems I usually have are with tryndamere and some casters. Plus I'm usually the focus for the other teams by late game

Trunks
02-06-2012, 04:24 PM
2.3 with 300 ad? What do you build 3 phantom dancers or something LOL?

CraeSC111
02-06-2012, 04:32 PM
Phantom dancers don't give you ad. I Atk speed boots, infinity edge, frozen mallet, phantom dancer, madreds bloodrazor and something else that doesn't come to kind right now. But my build is mostly situational with frozen mallet, atk speed boots and (mostly) an early wits end being constant

Trunks
02-06-2012, 04:44 PM
Phantom dancers don't give you ad. I Atk speed boots, infinity edge, frozen mallet, phantom dancer, madreds bloodrazor and something else that doesn't come to kind right now. But my build is mostly situational with frozen mallet, atk speed boots and (mostly) an early wits end being constant

Lol no kidding, I said Phantom Dancers for the atk speed. 2.3. That's not enough Atk speed for 2.3 and 300 dmg. I'm assuming your last item is a blood thirstier cause kog without blood thirstier is fail.

I under stand what you're saying, but that build doesn't give it to you.

Kog has a slower Atk speed per level up then most other champs, so I my self find it pointless to worry about attack speed because it's so much more viable to build damage and you'll need Armor pen for games that are going to last a full build.

I normally get boots, rush BT, then Atk speed boots, FM, PD, LW then IE.

Everyone has their own builds, I always go for more AD over Atk Sped at the start of games though. Espeically with a champ like kog where is base isn't that strong. If they had Atk speed per level runes, then it'd be a different story.

CraeSC111
02-06-2012, 05:10 PM
I mostly rely on my ability to deal a good bit of damage since most people don't build that much mr. I sometimes keep my wits end till end game for that reason. Usually I start with a dorans blade for a better chance at an early game kill. Then go for wits end starting with the atk speed item. Then FM, and from there it depends on what I need. In some games against a pure ad team I'll go for madreds razor then fm

Trunks
02-06-2012, 05:16 PM
Wiltz IMO isn't a good item for Kog, that 46 or so Magic damage doesn't do much lol. I always build straight AD with Kog, rarely will I build any tanky items unless someone on the other team is fed, then I but something to counter.

Also, if you "rely on the ability to deal damage" Then wiltz isn't a good item for that lol ESPECIALLY late game.

also I always start with dorans blade, forgot to mention that.

CraeSC111
02-06-2012, 05:21 PM
I build wits early and sell it for frozen mallet or boots. Its pretty decent early game for the atk speed increase plus some the magic damage isn't mitigated as much as physical damage. It has a pretty decent resale value (1500 or 1600 something like that). Plus I'm usually center lane and against casters and the mr really helps.

Trunks
02-06-2012, 05:26 PM
AD kog should be bot, better farm and easier to get kills. Mid is for nukes, becasue the lane is a lot smaller so you have to do more damage in a short amount of time to get a kill.

Thought you said you built wiltz till end game lol, make up your mind.

CraeSC111
02-06-2012, 05:30 PM
I said sometimes I will keep wits end depending on what I'm against. I prefer it when I'm against teams that get a whole lot of armor.

Trunks
02-06-2012, 06:34 PM
You'll do way more deeps if you builld Armor Pen instead.

CraeSC111
02-07-2012, 02:37 AM
Eh I usually go for more AP in those games cause none of the armor penetration items seem to be more useful than the extra 2 or 3% increase on kogs w. Plus hid other abilities scale pretty nicely. And I wont have to worry as much about any thornmail which generally counts towards 25% of the damage dealt to me in most games

Trunks
02-07-2012, 08:31 AM
lol armor pen is a must, around 20 minutes in it plays a big factor

CraeSC111
02-07-2012, 01:50 PM
I'll get armor pen for the pure ad carries but with kog or jax (haven't actually played him since before hextech gunblade was nerfed) I usually try to go for more balance in games with lotsa armor. I actually don't see too many people outside of tanks build armor and kog destroys tanks

Trunks
02-07-2012, 02:32 PM
That's weird, A lot of people build armor when I play them. Support and sometimes jungler depending who it is.

CraeSC111
02-07-2012, 03:49 PM
With Jax you used to be able to stack hextech gunblades and two shot everyone

Trunks
02-07-2012, 05:10 PM
Jax got a huge nerf, he's not that good any more. Hardly Viable

CraeSC111
02-07-2012, 05:13 PM
His new Dodge looks nice. I never bothered to play him after hextech gunblade was nerfed cause he didn't seem so OP anymore :p

Trunks
02-07-2012, 05:59 PM
His dmg was nerfed after they changed the gunblade too. He's been nerfed 2 or 3 times. and no the new dodge is a new, isn't as good as the stats dodge.

CraeSC111
02-07-2012, 06:28 PM
They nerf jax to hell but we are still waiting on a tryn nerf. Wonder if they will ever rebuff Eve.

Trunks
02-07-2012, 06:33 PM
nerf really isn't that good any more, he's only good in 3's. 5's so much cc, he can't do anything. He's really squishy, range tear him apart.

They do need to buff eve and twitch, they're both awful. Shaco is only good because he has better escapes and fears.

CraeSC111
02-07-2012, 07:12 PM
Twitch isn't too bad. His early game is amazingly powerful and his expunge hurts a lot all game.

ROFLBRYCE
02-07-2012, 07:13 PM
Jax got a huge nerf, he's not that good any more. Hardly Viable

Good early laning with Morgana, me and a random guy I ran into wound up on bottom. Good control and burst damage up until about level 9-13, depending on if they're playing ranged or melee.

Trunks
02-07-2012, 07:34 PM
I've only played him a couple times after his nerf, I noticed he's still decent early game, but late game he takes fall. Still playable, just not the same OP jax everyone is use too. Jax also takes more skill now then he did before to time his E correctly.

Muffincat
02-09-2012, 09:00 AM
They do need to buff eve and twitch, they're both awful. Shaco is only good because he has better escapes and fears.

What, have they still not come out with the stealth rework?

Trunks
02-09-2012, 02:36 PM
What, have they still not come out with the stealth rework?

not really, I know they added items for dominion about stealth, but in classic, they're still worthless. I don't play dominion, so I'm not sure if stealth is good for it.

CraeSC111
02-09-2012, 02:46 PM
I don't think they are ever going to come out with the stealth rework. They keep doing everything else first

Muffincat
02-09-2012, 02:56 PM
not really, I know they added items for dominion about stealth, but in classic, they're still worthless. I don't play dominion, so I'm not sure if stealth is good for it.

I meant the changes they have been planning for Eve and Twitch since forever, which I guess still haven't happened :/