PDA

View Full Version : No hugs allowed at several schools

Scott
10-02-2007, 07:06 PM
Schools jumping on the hug ban-wagon
Most forms of physical contact now barred from nation’s halls of learning

NBC News video
No-hugging rule implemented at schools
Oct. 2: Some institutions are not allowing students to show each other affection. Are they going too far? NBC’s Janet Shamlian reports.

Cupcakes are out, and in an increasing number of schools, so are carbonated soft drinks. And over the past year, some schools even started banning tag on the playground.

Just when you think there’s nothing that gives you warm and fuzzy memories about your own childhood left to ban, schools are coming up with a new one.

Hugs.

“Would you want your children to be hugging or kissing at school without your knowledge?” asks David Hadley, the principal of Fossil Hills Middle School in the north Texas town of Keller. “That’s the issue.”

Hadley’s school is one of a growing number that has banned not just hugging but all other PDAs — Public Displays of Affection — including holding hands.

One student at the school, eighth-grader Ashley Highberger, told NBC News that after she was reprimanded for holding hands with a fellow student, she started a petition to overturn the no-PDA policy.

She’s got 300 signatures, she said, but the policy remains.

It’s not just Texas. At the Percy Julian Middle School in Oak Park, Ill., hugging hasn’t been banned outright, but teachers and administrators have banned what they call “extreme hugging” in hallways.

Dr. Victoria Sharts, the school’s principal, says that’s when groups of students — usually girls — elaborately exchange hugs every time they see each other during breaks between classes. The practice clogs hallways and can make kids late for class, she said.

“They can hug their friends as long as it’s not in the hallways,” she told NBC. “We know there are times when it’s necessary, and we want to support one another.”

But with sexual harassment a hot-button issue, some districts ban all physical contact, hugs included.

In Fairfax County, Va., Kilmer Middle School has banned not just hugging, but all physical contact — including high fives.

One student who put his arm around his girlfriend’s shoulder was issued a warning and threatened with detention if it happened again.

At Kilmer, administrators said the ban was enacted because while most touching may be welcome, some touching isn’t.

“You get into shades of gray,” Kilmer Principal Deborah Hernandez told the Associated Press earlier this year. “The kids say, ‘If he can high-five, then I can do this.’” It’s not just in America, either. Last year, a school for children 11-18 in Great Britain told students to stop hugging so much.

“Hugging was happening extensively and becoming the norm. We were worried it might become inappropriate. So we nipped it in the bud,” headmaster Steven Kenning told “The Times” [of London].

As with everything related to school, some parents like it and some don’t.

“It’s a highly hormonal age, so for me, I’d rather she didn’t go around hugging,” Antonia Fernandez, a parent, told NBC.

Another parent, Lawrin Riles, thought banning hugs was going too far.

“You're not going to have everybody late just because they took a minute to hug another kid for their birthday or because they won the game over the weekend,” Riles said.

Link (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21097673/)

Now that's just stupid

Riku-Nara
10-02-2007, 07:34 PM
they do bring up some valid points, as i have been late several times when they're a hugfest going on, but banning hugs is going to far.

LiNuX
10-02-2007, 08:09 PM
lol that was in the news last nite - no hugs or holding hands haha - thats just really stupid but very, very, very funny to me

Jasperking
10-03-2007, 08:06 AM
WTF 0.o that is one of the stupidest things ever rofl. I guess they bring up some good points but.. school would be more boring :/

comfortablynumb.
10-03-2007, 07:15 PM
yeah id agree, they are definatly going to far by banning hugs? and PDA's?
thats just down right ridiculas
im just glad i dont live in the states, so thats probably not going to happen here..well actully i wodent doubt it haha
eh, either way i think thats pretty stupid

KittyCat72
10-04-2007, 12:44 PM
They do make good points, but they shouldn't ban hugs. Who would want to live in a world without hugs?! That's stupid.

lonewolfxix
10-04-2007, 01:48 PM
Banning hugs is rather stupid, kids over 13 should be allowed to make simple choices like that themselves and z0mgh!!! late for class?! even if they're early the first 5minutes kids won't do anything worthwhile and on the lesson.
They're not trying to ban hugs outright, just in school, which is still stupid. lol.. no high fives... one thing funny about that, if they got in a fight, the typical way for 2 men to say sorry is to say sorry and shake hands, or as congratulations or on their graduation shaking hands with the teacher, not allowed? sucks. Removing physical contact removes a whole level of communication.

diablo
10-04-2007, 02:22 PM
lol i heard about this on the news too, pretty stupid, what do i do then when im at school? WAVE??

Jasperking
10-04-2007, 02:27 PM
well... u could do hugs and shake hands in thin air :p so ur not actually touching rofl

lonewolfxix
10-04-2007, 03:52 PM
well, generally waving is most expected unless you stop lol.

LiNuX
10-04-2007, 05:12 PM
rofl, start waving and shake hands,

back to the 15th centry, start bowing down like in those movies - that would be awesome tho, feel more noble

Jasperking
10-04-2007, 05:15 PM
schools do ban the weirdest things though. I mean common kids need to be able to hug otherwise they are going to turn into people who show no affection towards others :/

LiNuX
10-04-2007, 05:25 PM
hats are banned from public schools in NYC - u can bring them in but if caught wearing, security takes and only gives back to your parents lol

some schools are really strict on that, my old high school lets you off with a warning most of the time.

Jasperking
10-04-2007, 05:28 PM
well they are right to ban hats really because it is rude to have a hat on in class lol.. although in the playground should be fine

KittyCat72
10-06-2007, 08:38 AM
My school won't let you have hats either. I guess it's the whole scare of spreading lice or something.

Jasperking
10-06-2007, 10:28 AM
Spreading lice? rofl i didnt know you could spread lice through hats XD. I just know its rude to have them on in class

FattaT
10-06-2007, 06:10 PM
Rules at my school:
Allowed to hug (all boys school)
Allowed to wear hats (not inside buildings though)
But I just finished school, so I don't care anymore =)

Jasperking
10-06-2007, 06:23 PM
Rules at my school:
Allowed to hug (all boys school) rofl what are they trying to do with these kids :/

Joshuah
10-10-2007, 12:18 PM
Thank god were aren't allowed to hug in are school, all boys school :-P lmao

Jasperking
10-10-2007, 12:19 PM
Yeah i guess that rule is good from schools. Although it should be allowed at all girls schools :)

giga_girl
10-10-2007, 12:59 PM
hahaha...this news makes me laugh... thanx God i belong to the conservative country:laugh:...

Jasperking
10-10-2007, 01:01 PM
Yep thank god that its only happening in america lol

LiNuX
10-10-2007, 01:15 PM
lol it has nothing to do with the country - its just those schools and its not happening in america - just new jersey lol, the state uh...well i cant say anything to insult it cuz i have family living there lol

Jasperking
10-10-2007, 01:34 PM
First the state... Then America... and Then Canada... and THEN THE WORLD!

LiNuX
10-10-2007, 02:57 PM
First the state... Then America... and Then Canada... and THEN THE WORLD!

no..first new jersey, then upstate new jersey, then downstate new jersey, then it'll try to come to NY where we drive it back to new jersey

so what im trying to say is that, its not gonna leave that state

Jasperking
10-10-2007, 03:24 PM
Rofl i dunno how you are sure about that :p. I bet new york is the next place to reinforce that rule lol

LiNuX
10-10-2007, 03:37 PM
meh..oh well im not in high school anymore, college pwns and its a private college too lol :D i'll let the kids deal with it now if it does cross the river here

PyXL
10-11-2007, 04:19 PM
Wow, first no drugs, and now no hugs...

But being serious this is ridiculous, they are trying to create emotionless kids. Soon they'll attach a wristband to students so their parents can monitor who they talk to rofl.

^ I'd homeschool my child if they did that (if I had a child that is..)

Jasperking
10-11-2007, 04:30 PM
meh..oh well im not in high school anymore, college pwns and its a private college too lol :D i'll let the kids deal with it now if it does cross the river here

is it because your college is a private college that your paying for it? or do you have to pay for all colleges in america lol

Draghkarl
10-17-2007, 05:56 AM
lmao who would ban hugs thats just stupid.. its the first step of picking up..:mad1:

NDM
10-17-2007, 06:20 AM
Good its not happening in Serbia.. Then i couldnt kiss my girl and hug here and have se.... okey i never had sex in school i was just joking about that. What a principal a moron!