PDA

View Full Version : How much GFP for a MC server

egg-whites333
02-17-2012, 11:20 PM
Hey guys I would like to setup a private server with my freinds but all of our internet suck really bad i have tryed it but it was WAY to laggy. i would like the server to be up at around 9 am est-11 pm est or 24-7 if posible (that would be better). I need admin comands and it would be white listed ill get that for you if you accept. GFP is no object i only have bout 300 right now but if you need more I will pay back I promiss, you will be in the server... DUR. I hope I can get a server soon. :) (If wanted I can pay monthly)
thanks,
Egg-Whites

Exentenzed
02-18-2012, 09:30 AM
Uhm, i don't think anyone will pay real money to get you a server just for GFP. It's worth something to us. But not real money. :P Atleast not to me. :/

Muffincat
02-18-2012, 09:34 AM
Especially when we already have a server if we want to play o.o

thedeparted
300 gfp isn't a lot of gfp.

egg-whites333
Real money? I just need somone to setup a MC server? it's free to do that??

thedeparted
02-18-2012, 09:41 AM
So you have a server already? But don't know how to make it work? Am I understanding now?

Muffincat
02-18-2012, 09:42 AM
No it isn't. o.o

You can't just run it from most computers, for various reasons. You usually need to have an actual server just kicking around (which most people don't). Servers cost a lot of money, so most people usually pay for a service (though it is often fairly cheap).

Also, I don't know that people will do it for GFP. I have like 30,000 lying around in the bank and even that isn't a lot compared to a lot of people o.o

Trunks
02-18-2012, 11:32 AM
Minecraft server are free to run if you do it from your PC or server, they're actually fairly easy to run too, it doesn't take much. I ran one my computer so me and and a friend could do sky block together. You just have to allocate more RAM to minecraft for the server. I allocated 2 gigs for it, then left just a half a gig to run minecraft which is the default and had the other half free for what ever( only have 3 gigs cause xp sucks.) The server lagged down if I had a bunch of stuff running on my computer, but if it was just minecraft and the server it was fine. I only kept it up when we were playing on it though. Was lag free for 2 people, not sure what would happen if more people came in.

I don't really like to keep my computer running all the time, let alone stressing it by keeping a server running for 12 hours a day or so. So I can't really help you, but one of you should try hosting it your self and see how it runs, it may not be that bad.

Muffincat
02-18-2012, 01:03 PM
Minecraft server are free to run if you do it from your PC or server, they're actually fairly easy to run too, it doesn't take much. I ran one my computer so me and and a friend could do sky block together. You just have to allocate more RAM to minecraft for the server. I allocated 2 gigs for it, then left just a half a gig to run minecraft which is the default and had the other half free for what ever( only have 3 gigs cause xp sucks.) The server lagged down if I had a bunch of stuff running on my computer, but if it was just minecraft and the server it was fine. I only kept it up when we were playing on it though. Was lag free for 2 people, not sure what would happen if more people came in.

I don't really like to keep my computer running all the time, let alone stressing it by keeping a server running for 12 hours a day or so. So I can't really help you, but one of you should try hosting it your self and see how it runs, it may not be that bad.

Yeah, they're free if you have the ability to run it, which most people don't. If you use your own computer, you have to have it running 24/7 (and a good enough computer and internet), which is not feasible for everyone. Servers aren't something that most people have lying around (though some do).

I don't think anyone said that running the server itself costs money, but a lot of people use a service that charges you a monthly $5, or something like that - which is often more feasible. Minecraft is a big hog on computers; we've tried running our own, but once there's more than a couple people, it usually ends up failing. It's pretty poor, honestly. Simply running Minecraft on some computers takes up a lot, let alone trying to run a server (or do both). It usually ends up lagging and being unplayable, at least on the kind of equipment that most people have running around. I had a friend who ran a server well by dedicating an extra computer he had lying around as the server, but it certainly wasn't his primary computer.

Also, he already said that he and his friends tried it and it didn't work because they have terrible internet.

I just don't think it's likely that egg-whites will find someone who is willing or able to run a 24/7 server, but it doesn't hurt to ask for sure.

Exentenzed
02-18-2012, 01:28 PM
OH! You are asking for someone to set up your sever! Sorry, must have misread or something.

Alas, i don't know how to do that.

Also the biggest resource you need to host a minecraft server is bandwith. Which is why i can't do it. I've checked with my 16mbDL-0.7mbUL bandwith and i was reccomended to only have a 2 slot server max (Was close to 3). xD From what i've seen you should make sure to have about 1mb dl/ul speed per 4 slots.

Trunks
02-18-2012, 01:35 PM
Yeah, they're free if you have the ability to run it, which most people don't. If you use your own computer, you have to have it running 24/7 (and a good enough computer and internet), which is not feasible for everyone. Servers aren't something that most people have lying around (though some do).

I don't think anyone said that running the server itself costs money, but a lot of people use a service that charges you a monthly $5, or something like that - which is often more feasible. Minecraft is a big hog on computers; we've tried running our own, but once there's more than a couple people, it usually ends up failing. It's pretty poor, honestly. Simply running Minecraft on some computers takes up a lot, let alone trying to run a server (or do both). It usually ends up lagging and being unplayable, at least on the kind of equipment that most people have running around. I had a friend who ran a server well by dedicating an extra computer he had lying around as the server, but it certainly wasn't his primary computer.

Also, he already said that he and his friends tried it and it didn't work because they have terrible internet.

I just don't think it's likely that egg-whites will find someone who is willing or able to run a 24/7 server, but it doesn't hurt to ask for sure.

Eggs asked if it was free, and thedeparted seemed a little confused I was just confirming that it was if it was ran off someones server or computer and not from a company. I'd say my computer is pretty average, maybe below average and my runs fines on minecraft. If many people would just direct more memory to java or minecraft it'd probably run way better. It's also not needed to run 24/7, he said morning to bed time would be fine.

Like I said never tried running it for more than 2 people. So I wouldn't know if my computer would be able to. I don't think minecraft takes much resources to run though. I do have pretty good internet though, 15MB download, upload is only 1MB though.

and if it doesn't hurt to ask then why are you guys just ripping him apart about it lol....

OH! You are asking for someone to set up your sever! Sorry, must have misread or something.

Alas, i don't know how to do that.

Also the biggest resource you need to host a minecraft server is bandwith. Which is why i can't do it. I've checked with my 16mbDL-0.7mbUL bandwith and i was reccomended to only have a 2 slot server max (Was close to 3). xD From what i've seen you should make sure to have about 1mb dl/ul speed per 4 slots.

That makes sense on how mine was able to run 2 fine. We have about the same internet speed.

anyway, good luck finding someone eggs.

Synge
02-18-2012, 03:04 PM
I can't do it for the same reason as Exe, my internet is complete **** :/

they're actually fairly easy to run too, it doesn't take much. I ran one my computer so me and and a friend could do sky block together.

Did you guys only do Skyblock? You could run that on a Commodore 64 :P

Loading up and playing on an actual map is an entirely different story.

Trunks
02-18-2012, 03:14 PM
Well we did at first, but after we loaded up a full map and it was fine lol.

egg-whites333
02-18-2012, 07:34 PM
Hmm darn I think I could get a make do server with my computer but i dont know how to port forward does anyone have a linkskys e2500 to help me port foward. :) (A whole video on how to do the whole thing would be nice but what ever works i can read so if its text i can do that.

CraeSC111
02-19-2012, 04:47 AM
You're gonna need bandwidth and RAM for a good server (both of which I lack). To open a port you have to go into the router's settings by typing in your routers IP address into your browser and opening whatever port you want to use

egg-whites333
02-19-2012, 08:35 AM
okay but how do you do that?

Muffincat
02-19-2012, 02:28 PM
Like I said never tried running it for more than 2 people. So I wouldn't know if my computer would be able to. I don't think minecraft takes much resources to run though. I do have pretty good internet though, 15MB download, upload is only 1MB though.

Yeah, I think it usually crashes with more than 2 or 3 max for most people - though I didn't say it was impossible. Obviously, people run their own Minecraft servers. It generally isn't feasible for most people, is all I was saying. And it takes up a lot more resources than it should o-o But yeah, I think internet is usually the biggest factor - most people don't have access to good enough internet. At least, that was one of the issues that I and other people I know ran into. Minecraft uses up most of my computer's resources when I run it, though. I can barely do anything else if I have it on :/

and if it doesn't hurt to ask then why are you guys just ripping him apart about it lol....

No one is ripping him apart; we're just saying it's unlikely that someone will be able to/want to host a server for him o_O

Hmm darn I think I could get a make do server with my computer but i dont know how to port forward does anyone have a linkskys e2500 to help me port foward. :) (A whole video on how to do the whole thing would be nice but what ever works i can read so if its text i can do that.

Most routers are the same, but you should be able to find everything you need on Google, unless some fine soul wants to give you explicit directions :P You can do as Crae said and type the IP into your address bar; I can't remember the standard router IP off the top of my head. Most of the routers I have used in the past had some weird obscure IP @_@

LiNuX
02-19-2012, 08:45 PM
Port Forwarding: Port Forwarding Guides Listed by Manufacturer and Model - PortForward.com (http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm)

Find your router, then the game, and follow through.

Easy.

I use it all the time for stuff, used to use it a lot more when my server was up and running. And it should have Minecraft info for every router.

CraeSC111
02-20-2012, 11:59 AM
I looked on that website and it didn't have the router on it I was using at the time so I had to figure it out myself.

ROFLBRYCE
02-20-2012, 03:11 PM
I looked on that website and it didn't have the router on it I was using at the time so I had to figure it out myself.

Most routers are nearly identical though. Take Dlink for example, there's only really 3 or 4 variations of port forwarding for the ~8721941098234 (rough estimation) models of routers they have. Find the combos, mix and match, the one that works for you works. Not too much trouble, my router wasn't listed either.