PDA

View Full Version : Gizzzzzzzzzzzmondo

bronco
10-07-2007, 06:18 PM
haha, I really want to get ahold of a gizmondo, WITHOUT Smartads

Did anyone here have one?

Scott
10-07-2007, 09:59 PM
I did want one, but I went to all my local stores and they hadn't heard of it. So I gave up....

Ghost
10-07-2007, 10:20 PM
havent heard of it. what does it do?

Scott
10-07-2007, 10:23 PM

I can't remember. It's been a while since I have seen anything about it. But I think it plays games

Ghost
10-07-2007, 10:23 PM
is it a console too?

bronco
10-07-2007, 10:31 PM

It essentially is a primative PSP. It played games, dealt with multimedia, etc. Later versions had a camera built in as well. It was centered in Europe, but it really couldent compete with the current consoles on the market, and when the PSP was launched it sort of put the last nail in the casket. The psp did all that and more, and was cheaper. The Gizmondo also had horrible marketing ploys. for instance, to appeal to lower income gamers, they offered a cheaper model of the gizmondo which played commercials downloaded via wifi/gps in between levels/games that you needed to watch. Basically force fed media. ehh. but its still an interesting machine

http://gizmodo.com/images/2006/05/gizmondo_device.jpg

http://www.t3.co.uk/__data/assets/image/234805/Giz_250.jpg
(Widescreen Version Never Released)

Ghost
10-07-2007, 10:41 PM
lol force fed media in games. that sucks. that will chase people away

bronco
10-07-2007, 10:52 PM
Yeah, but i mean you do need to admit it ws an interesting idea...

...anyway, long story short, the gizmondo went under, the company filed for bankruptcy, stockholders sued saying the whole gizmondo was just a ploy to get moeny from people, and that was the last we heard of Gizmondo, except of course the CEO totaling hiz Enzo...

Scott
10-07-2007, 10:57 PM
So, is it out in the UK?... And what games are on it?

bronco
10-07-2007, 11:02 PM
No, the company went under. As far as games it had some decent titles, Richard Burns Rally, Tony Hawk, Rayman, etc. The graphics were 3D and all. Im really shocked you guys have never heard of it. It was a decent system...just...half baked marketing ploys I guess.

Heres what the CEO's Ferrarri Enzo looked like after he drove it drunk.
http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/images/2006/05/pch_enzo_2_1.jpg

**edit**
I probably should mention a total of less than 25 games was ever released for this console

Jasperking
10-08-2007, 12:15 PM
I know my m8 had something simular to this. But it wasnt a gizmondo

Scott
10-08-2007, 06:15 PM
Yeah, I had heard of it. The magazine I read reviewed it. As I said I was going to get one but I couldn't find it. That's why I don't remember

lonewolfxix
10-08-2007, 06:23 PM
Gizmondo was pulled from the market after the guy who was marketing it plowed into a lamppost in his Ferrari Enzo. It was meant to be a really good console with almost xbox like graphics iirc... jasperking, if that mate happens to be me, that thing was the GP32, it's a korean made handheld with loads of features including an mp3 player, a web browser (if connected to a pc with internet access) a games console for both emulators and their own games, a movie player.. loads of things, they released a new one called the GP2X which had dual processors and could emulate windows if you so wished, more powerful than a psp in processing and twice as useful.

Scott
10-08-2007, 06:37 PM
Damn how could that dude afford a Enzo?.... if the handheald never went on sale

lonewolfxix
10-08-2007, 07:21 PM
duh, he'd already made something, either that or rented it... i'll see if i can find the posts online

Ghost
10-08-2007, 07:40 PM
i wouldnt get it. it wont be better than ds

Scott
10-08-2007, 07:51 PM
i wouldnt get it. it wont be better than ds

Lol I don't like the DS, Too many cooking games

Jasperking
10-08-2007, 07:51 PM
lol the DS is still really fun though but only for mario games :) and touch mini games

Ghost
10-08-2007, 11:03 PM
its not just cooking games and mario on the ds. have either of you tried trama center or phenix wright?

Scott
10-08-2007, 11:51 PM
its not just cooking games and mario on the ds. have either of you tried trama center or phenix wright?

The Phoenix Wright games are great. They make you feel so smart...

lonewolfxix
10-09-2007, 07:56 AM
The problem with consoles with these new features like DS with it's touch screen and Wii with it's wiimote thing is that they start releasing games for that in particular, games that really won't last long.
DS better than a Gizmondo? I'd like to see the DS play Halo 2! It's a shame the Gizmondo never came to market, I probably would of bought one, soo many features, it's like an mp3 player, a camera, a handheld console, pda and phone in one... wow... never knew the phone feature, found a site which sells them but sold out and not sure if they're legit.. ?80 and it comes with 6 games...
Gizmondo... buy it now here (http://gizmondo.allack.co.uk/Extras/Detail.php?ProductID=289)

the gizmondo is a powerful hand held... here are it's features:
GSM tri-band (that means it can be used in all countries a a phone)
GPRS Class 10
TFT screen ~ 240 x 320 pixels
WAP 2.0 (internet via cellular service provider)
MMS receive and send
MP3 playback
MIDI/WAV formats
SMS
SpeakerM
MPEG 4 video playback
JPEG camera
SD flash card reader
Mini-USB client
Bluetooth class 2 for multiplayer gaming
Temperature range 0?C to 55?C
3D games engine
Graphics accelerator
GPS tracking application
GPS mapping application
Removable SIM card
Removable battery
Polyphonic ring tones
Stereo headset socket for MP3 and games
Windows Media Player 9
Flight Mode

Jasperking
10-09-2007, 11:48 AM
That seems pretty good. But i wonder if the psp is better lol

lonewolfxix
10-09-2007, 01:08 PM
psp has a lower spec but it's better for games, however you can get games for the gizmondo for ?5 and it has soo many other useful features i'd choose one over a psp any day.

Scott
10-09-2007, 01:56 PM
the gizmondo is a powerful hand held... here are it's features:
GSM tri-band (that means it can be used in all countries a a phone)
GPRS Class 10
TFT screen ~ 240 x 320 pixels
WAP 2.0 (internet via cellular service provider)
MMS receive and send
MP3 playback
MIDI/WAV formats
SMS
SpeakerM
MPEG 4 video playback
JPEG camera
SD flash card reader
Mini-USB client
Bluetooth class 2 for multiplayer gaming
Temperature range 0?C to 55?C
3D games engine
Graphics accelerator
GPS tracking application
GPS mapping application
Removable SIM card
Removable battery
Polyphonic ring tones
Stereo headset socket for MP3 and games
Windows Media Player 9
Flight ModeAnd as they guy in the newspaper said about the iphone "You wont use half of the features" lol

Jasperking
10-09-2007, 02:00 PM
Rofl thats exactly what they said about the iphone and its kinda true. But i think you would use most of the features of the gizmondo but i still say the psp beats it

lonewolfxix
10-09-2007, 02:10 PM
i'll use all the features, i travel to different parts of the UK regularly on errands, i go to london visiting various places going to various events, to people's houses there etc. so i need the gps, it's a 2hour journey so i need entertainment (games and movies) the phone feature means i can phone people, it's a camera so i can take pictures of things, since it's based on windows i can load excel etc. if i forget the location of an event or something i can load ie and find the site or go on msn and ask my friend for any info i need.

What feature in that haven't i found a use for for myself? and jasperking can confirm i go to london alot.

Jasperking
10-09-2007, 02:11 PM
Yeah lonewolf goes to london alot because he can get a train for free.... lol. But then he has to pay for the tube ofcourse

lonewolfxix
10-09-2007, 02:50 PM
Yeah, ?1.75 for a zone 1-6 adult daypass rather than something like ?6.40 XD the games on the gizmondo are good but there's very few of them to get so where it gets it's useful ness is it's familiar operating system and i expect you can get emulators for more games ;) i'd go for a gizmondo over a psp any day since it just seems more useful.

bronco
10-10-2007, 08:13 AM
Damn how could that dude afford a Enzo?.... if the handheald never went on sale

You guys need to pay attention to what I say :mad1:, I already told you tat the Gizmondo was supposed to sell great, that was the plan anyway, they had almost no trouble finding people to give them money and buy stocks! The company had plenty of money. Thats why when they went under, they were accused of trying to scam the investers out of the money they had given them, leding to court, etc. Theres no reason he couldent have had many ferraris with all the money they got.

lonewolfxix
10-10-2007, 08:18 AM
Ex-Gizmondo exec trashes Ferrari (http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6144706.html) Apparently he might of been part of the Swedish Mafia.
There's some Gizmondo's on ebay, I'm tempted to buy one.

Jasperking
10-10-2007, 08:41 AM
But havent u got that handheld gp32 or w.e anyway

lonewolfxix
10-11-2007, 09:55 AM
Dad took that off me and I haven't seen it since XD the Gizmondo has more features I want but I don't really want either... Not a big fan of handhelds...

Scott
10-11-2007, 03:42 PM
Dad took that off me and I haven't seen it since XD the Gizmondo has more features I want but I don't really want either... Not a big fan of handhelds...

Handhealds only last about a year then the amount of games being released on them goes down

PyXL
10-11-2007, 04:21 PM
Luckily we have decent handhelds out right now, the GBA (even though it's fairly old now has some decent games, the DS has some good games (the new Zelda, Metroid etc.) and the dual screen + touch feature was good, the PSP has good graphics/games as well.

Jasperking
10-11-2007, 04:24 PM
Hmm the handhelds right now are pretty good but they are old though. Someone should make another one

Metallica1983
10-11-2007, 06:58 PM
it looks like a psp lol:twitcy:

Scott
10-11-2007, 07:01 PM
it looks like a psp lol:twitcy:

There is an obvious difference the PSP has a wider screen for instance

lonewolfxix
10-12-2007, 04:18 AM
I'd say the GP32 looks more like the original GameBoy Advance. It's a nice handheld especially if you're a retro game.. i remember in school i used to play Sonic rather than work.. funnily enough half the people in my class would crowd around and watch. Ahhh... the classics... I don't like handhelds because they're either hard to hold or are really crap. look at the DS, particularly the original, I could barely grasp the correct way to hold it which didn't leave my hand aching, the psp lacked something on the back for my hands to really grip (maybe a bigger battery and a microdrive could of sorted that out) the GP32 was perfect for me, and watching movies, playing games, browsing the web (wired.. usb) and listening to music all those years ago was pretty good from a handheld.

bronco
10-12-2007, 07:48 AM
The GP32 looks pretty cool but i mean with custom firmware the PSP can do all of that and more. I dont know why people are complaining about holding the PSP it feels fine, the original DS was horrible. I remmeber trying to play star wars on it, rough...but the new DS is fine. People are probably just too accustomed to console controllers, and the only reason they had lumps in the first place was to accomodate Rumble, i mean the original PS1 controller had plans for rumble in the beginning, sony just didnt want to wait until it was completely done before they launched the console. and the N64...well that dosent count, it was an odd shaped controller anyway...lol. But yeah, I'm workingon downgrading my PSP now, its not too much of a hassle other than that I need Pandoras Battary

Jasperking
10-12-2007, 11:14 AM
well you know the PSP cost alot more right lol and it doesnt have retro games

lonewolfxix
10-12-2007, 07:11 PM
ergonomics are important in this day and age where people are sitting infront of their tv's, computers, consoles more than ever, most people appreciate that, alot of people will have specific ways they like to sit and specific keyboards they like as it feels right.

PSP's can do loads but you have to modify.. straight out of the box the GP32 can do everything it's capable of.