PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting a server started. Anyone interested?

Synge
10-20-2012, 01:31 PM
I feel like getting back into Minecraft but every server I try bores me, so I'm thinking about hosting my own, and playing different maps. We could have a general world map up when we have nothing planned/going on, but I'm really interested in doing things like Skyblock, ultra hardcore, etc. Might also be a good way to pump some life into the GF YouTube channel.

Just curious if anyone would be interested.

EpsilonX
10-20-2012, 05:47 PM
I'd be more than down but the college blocks minecraft online.

CraeSC111
10-27-2012, 07:03 PM
I would probably be interested in a server we could do mods/challenges on. Plus making some videos with multiple GF members for the YouTube would probably be fun

Synge
02-01-2013, 08:50 PM
Hmm, anyone still playing this game? Been forever since I hopped on but I occasionally feel compelled to get back into it.

I'm still up for hosting a server, anyone wanna play..?

TheMangler187
02-01-2013, 09:08 PM
I was gonna say "I'm in!" but wasn't sure if I was gonna get torn apart for reviving an old thread haha. I haven't played much Minecraft lately, but I'm definitely keen to finally try some multiplayer!

Synge
02-02-2013, 02:49 PM
I've set one up. Message me if you want the deets.. Dawg(s).

CraeSC111
02-03-2013, 02:46 PM
I would still be a little interesting in playing. Also I would like to suggest running the Tekkit server software, because everyone knows mods are more fun

http://www.technicpack.net/tekkit/

Seems pretty easy to use :p

egg-whites333
02-03-2013, 11:53 PM
I love tekkit!, you can make nukes to grief with, I mean make deep mines with.

Synge
02-04-2013, 06:12 PM
I probably wouldn't bother with Tekkit, but I'd do Feed the Beast.

CraeSC111
02-04-2013, 06:20 PM
Have you ever played tekkit? I absolutely love the things you can do with it. Plus it comes with its own server software. Never seen Feed the Beast though. :D

EpsilonX
02-05-2013, 10:32 AM
Not at college anymore so I can join you.

BlackEyedJester
02-05-2013, 11:34 AM
I would be more than happy to join in.

Also, if you guys are still doing the Youtube channel thing, we could just do a LP of it, it wouldn't be very original but it would get some views, hell, If PewDiePie and Tobuscus can do it, why can't we?

Synge
02-05-2013, 04:22 PM
Had a few people playing over the weekend and last few days and everything runs pretty smoothly. Eggy lives in Eastern Canada and said he has no problems so us Stateside folk should be golden. Should be capable of handling 15 people at a time but I have it limited to 10 for the time being, and I doubt we'll ever see that many at once.

Have you ever played tekkit? I absolutely love the things you can do with it. Plus it comes with its own server software. Never seen Feed the Beast though. :D
I have, and it's awesome, but FTB is just as awesome and works with Bukkit, which is why it'd be my first choice.

Not at college anymore so I can join you.

I would be more than happy to join in.

Also, if you guys are still doing the Youtube channel thing, we could just do a LP of it, it wouldn't be very original but it would get some views, hell, If PewDiePie and Tobuscus can do it, why can't we?

I've PMed you all the IP, remember, the port is required :]

xLykos
02-05-2013, 05:51 PM
I was wondering if we still had one, I'm very interested. It's hard to find any good servers

Trunks
02-05-2013, 05:55 PM
I'd be interested in it as well, it's been awhile since I played.

Echo
02-06-2013, 02:28 PM
I'm down for it.

EpsilonX
02-06-2013, 08:23 PM
So it just crashed on me.

Btw, for anybody who plays on this server, I use the account 1manfreakshow. I didn't pick the name, it was somebody else's (if you were wondering)

Echo
02-06-2013, 09:11 PM
What's the IP guys?

Synge
02-06-2013, 10:46 PM
So it just crashed on me.

Btw, for anybody who plays on this server, I use the account 1manfreakshow. I didn't pick the name, it was somebody else's (if you were wondering)

Was this posted when I accidentally reset it, before you knew what happened, or did it actually crash?

Also, I can change your display name/give you a nickname if you'd like.

And echo, I'll PM you the IP tomorrow, I'm on my phone at the moment.

EpsilonX
02-07-2013, 12:28 PM
Was this posted when I accidentally reset it, before you knew what happened, or did it actually crash?

Also, I can change your display name/give you a nickname if you'd like.

And echo, I'll PM you the IP tomorrow, I'm on my phone at the moment.

Nah, right after I posted this, I got back online and you were like "I accidentally hit something messing with admin controls" or whatever you said

and if you could set it to EpsilonX that'd be cool lol

Synge
02-07-2013, 02:06 PM
Haha, yeah, that's what I thought. Still not sure why I have to reset after promoting people, but it's not much of a hassle so I probably won't bother with it.

Sure thing, just remind me next time we're on at the same time.

PMing the IP to everyone that's asked that I haven't gotten to yet now.

Synge
02-10-2013, 12:54 PM
Performing a bit of maintenance. Eggs was the only one on at the time (sorry man, it's taking longer than 15 minutes, haha..) Just posting this to let anyone that may have tried to get on know that it'll be back up in a bit.

Also, we've had 11 people join in so far. Lot more that I expected. Performance seems to be fine for most people but I know trunks keeps having issues. If activity/interest keeps up I may upgrade the server at the end of the month, so if anyone has problems let me know, cause the more trouble we have the more likely it will be that I upgrade.

BlackEyedJester
02-11-2013, 11:43 AM
I would be signing in, but... I lost my password.. and I simply cannot remember the damned thing, and since I made the account as soon as I could, I'e forgotten the email I used.. and probably that password too -_- So yeah, I'll get on there once I get another account XD

EpsilonX
02-11-2013, 01:45 PM
Is there any chance I could help tinker with the spawn area? there are some things that really bug me about it...we could talk about it in a pm or something

Trunks
02-11-2013, 02:06 PM
Performing a bit of maintenance. Eggs was the only one on at the time (sorry man, it's taking longer than 15 minutes, haha..) Just posting this to let anyone that may have tried to get on know that it'll be back up in a bit.

Also, we've had 11 people join in so far. Lot more that I expected. Performance seems to be fine for most people but I know trunks keeps having issues. If activity/interest keeps up I may upgrade the server at the end of the month, so if anyone has problems let me know, cause the more trouble we have the more likely it will be that I upgrade.

Yeah it was lagging when my and twiforce were on, the server even crashed. Then I got on the next day by my self and was lagging a little. I don't why it would do it with just one person, maybe from people exploring a lot and the map got a lot bigger? Dunno, not sure if minecraft servers run all the map that is explored at the same time or just parts where people are at.

egg-whites333
02-11-2013, 02:28 PM
The server has gotten a little laggy at times, but nothing i can't handle

Synge
02-11-2013, 04:25 PM
Is there any chance I could help tinker with the spawn area? there are some things that really bug me about it...we could talk about it in a pm or something
Hahah, what's wrong with it? I know people keep breaking the glass and screwed up the water flow but I just haven't gotten around to fixing it. Other than that, the small jump puzzle to the food is just the risk you have to be willing to take if you don't want to farm on your own :P

The area around the fountain is what needs expanding, that's where the actual 'town' will be.

Edit:I fixed the broken glass and water. And did a small 12 block protection so it quits happening.

I don't why it would do it with just one person, maybe from people exploring a lot and the map got a lot bigger? Dunno, not sure if minecraft servers run all the map that is explored at the same time or just parts where people are at.

You seem to be getting it the worst. But I was wondering if that might be the case, especially since I enabled flying for a night and a few of us went crazy with that...

EpsilonX
02-11-2013, 05:05 PM
Ah, yea I was gonna fix the spawn location. i'm sick of spawning, taking a step forward, and falling off lol

And also, I figured out the trick to getting to the food platforms lol

Trunks
02-11-2013, 07:59 PM
Just spawn and take a jump forward instead.

egg-whites333
02-11-2013, 10:28 PM
Lol, thanks for not pointing fingers :P.

xLykos
02-11-2013, 10:37 PM
I haven't lagged or anything while I've been on. Even when we all had fly lol Guess I'm just lucky :D

TheMangler187
02-13-2013, 03:54 AM
Sorry, it was me who messed the water flow up. After our fight I tried to repair the glass and put it in the wrong place and the water kinda just disappeared...

EpsilonX
02-13-2013, 04:48 PM
Just spawn and take a jump forward instead.

I don't feel like I should spawn on a block where I have to jump off. Thankfully, he fixed it so that walking in any direction is safe, but stepping backwards will take you down to the world

Synge
02-13-2013, 04:53 PM
That's the way it always was, just, people kept accidentally breaking the glass. Not a problem now that spawn is protected, though

xLykos
02-14-2013, 04:49 PM
http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b614/JessexAdams/lawl_zpsc386e39b.png

Eggs I'm assuming this is your handy work? lol

egg-whites333
02-15-2013, 03:42 PM
Lol sadly no, but I wish it was :p.

xLykos
02-15-2013, 08:42 PM
Lol sadly no, but I wish it was :p.

Must've been Twiforce then

TheMangler187
02-15-2013, 08:47 PM
Nope, surprisingly not me. Smells like something Synge would have done though :P

Also there's a hole in the spawn room and chests and a furnace are missing. No idea what happened...

Trunks
02-15-2013, 09:29 PM
Looks like someone set on tnt there, didn't you say something about having tnt? lol

EpsilonX
02-22-2013, 09:18 PM
Is the server down or something?

---------- Post added at 10:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 PM ----------

So, here is the start of something i'm going to be working on...

http://i.imgur.com/ya1ggr4.png

I want to make a big rock that comes out of the water and has a house on top. If anybody wants to help, that'd be cool

Edit: Though, i'm thinking about moving it somewhere else where there are more mountains by the water. It's gonna look silly having this big thing in the middle of a relatively flat area

xLykos
02-27-2013, 07:08 PM
I don't know who keeps changing the paintings in my house but stop

Synge
02-27-2013, 07:29 PM
Yeah, and someone came into my underground area I've been working on and mined out a lot of the **** I had just terraformed..

I'd rather not have to implement a whitelist but I may have to. As well as a logger.

xLykos
02-27-2013, 07:54 PM
Wow you had a lot of ore down there too, I'd be p***ed

Trunks
02-27-2013, 09:18 PM
I'd at least do a logger, so we can get an idea who it is. I mean not that many people get on, should be easy to find out who is doing everything. If anything a logger would scare the person so he won't do it anymore.

xLykos
02-27-2013, 09:35 PM
I think I have an idea who it is.....

Also my egg farm is now open to everyone. I have a just stupid amount of eggs right now. Do not kill any of my chickens.

CraeSC111
02-28-2013, 06:35 PM
Just got on for the first time and found a nice place to start building. I will probably be on more later when I have more time and after I reinstall optifine.

TheMangler187
02-28-2013, 08:02 PM
Sorry man, my bad lol

No just kidding, I didn't do it. No idea who did... But a logger sounds like a good idea.

EpsilonX
03-18-2013, 11:39 AM
Welp, I'm upgraded to the newest patch, so...update the server! lol

Synge
03-18-2013, 04:09 PM
Haha,, just waitin on Bukkit ;]

Synge
03-23-2013, 12:30 PM
Updated to 1.5

EpsilonX
03-28-2013, 08:49 PM
Well I just downloaded another update...do you have that one?

Synge
04-20-2013, 09:57 AM
Felt like changing things up so I loaded a new map with UltraHardcore mod. Griefing is allowed, pvp allowed, basically no rules.

ROFLBRYCE
04-24-2013, 01:51 PM
Dun dun DDUUUUUHHHHHH.

I got minecraft'd out a couple weeks back lol. I'll probably hop on tomorrow morning and check it out. What does the UHC mod do?

Synge
04-27-2013, 05:26 PM
Hsha, it pretty much does away with health regen entirely, only a golden apple (which requires 9 golden ingots and an apple to create) will restore health.. And they only restore two hearts... I just felt like messing around with some buddies.

Anyway, I've since reverted back to the original map, but I'm in the process of installing Feed the beast, which will then be the last change I make to the server for a while.

ROFLBRYCE
04-27-2013, 05:51 PM
Hsha, it pretty much does away with health regen entirely, only a golden apple (which requires 9 golden ingots and an apple to create) will restore health.. And they only restore two hearts... I just felt like messing around with some buddies.

Anyway, I've since reverted back to the original map, but I'm in the process of installing Feed the beast, which will then be the last change I make to the server for a while.

FTB would be pretty decent man. I usually watch one or two different "Let's Plays" on them each day, lol. Definitely gonna try and get on the server more though regardless

Synge
04-27-2013, 06:43 PM
Awesome. Activity has slowed down a lot I think since the server first went up, I fell off the internet grid for bout a month so hopefully nothing went wrong while I was away. It'd be nice to see it active again.

Anyway, everything is all set up now.

Currently running the Direwolf20 Pack. I think it's the best to start with cause it's loaded with content, but the required resources aren't as high as say, the MindCrack Pack, so us busy folk don't have to spend ages on the boring stuff.

So, for those that don't know, this is how to get Feed The Beast working and onto the server:

First, visit Feed the Beast (http://feed-the-beast.com/) and download the EXE file under 'Download Client'. Go through the installation and add your Minecraft username tot he profile section at the bottom (it's safe, don't worry). Select the 'MODPACKS' tab at the top of the launcher, and then 'Direwolf20 Pack' from the selection on the left. Launch the game and it will install the mods. Enter the server IP and you're good to go.

You'll need to use the FTB launcher from now on to play on the server.

eimatam
06-17-2013, 12:10 PM
I would join (mod : FTB)