PDA

View Full Version : Does Backwards Compatibility even matter anymore?

Scott
10-09-2007, 02:07 AM
Is it that serious of a feature that consoles need now? I mean:

Microsoft rarely has any backwards compatibility updates
Sony does not include BC on the 40 GB.

Plus I think most gamers move once newer consoles come out. I know when I first got my 360. I only played Ninja Gaiden, Halo 2, and Jade Empire for a while until I traded them in.

What do you think about this?

lonewolfxix
10-09-2007, 08:14 AM
I think they do need backwards compat. you traded in a halo?! bad!

Though i love new technology i also love old, i like to be able to play my select few old games even on my latest hardware, for example final fantasy 7, ofcourse i could just keep my ps2 but why? it's not like it's a chore to keep backwards compatability and i do believe microsoft have covered most of their games on backwards compatability, atleast of the games i've seen.

Jasperking
10-09-2007, 11:47 AM
I think all consoles should have backwards compatibility. It should be top priority lol. Because then people for example can buy old xbox games that look good and play on the 360 and have fun. Earning MS more profit lol

Ghost
10-09-2007, 02:55 PM
i dont care about it. i never go back to games there is even too many current gen games for me to keep track of lol

Scott
10-09-2007, 03:47 PM
Yeah well they are making sequels of all these games now anyway. Even something Big and award winning gets old. And if it's a game I liked and want to play again I get it on PC.

Jasperking
10-09-2007, 04:29 PM
Well even if they are making sequels. Sometimes that makes you want to play the old ones first

LiNuX
10-09-2007, 04:36 PM
they should make it one of their top priorities - cuz when i frst got my ps2 i played a lot of my PS1 games cuz i didnt have many ps2 games at first

the pc is always backwards compatible lol, make it like that!!

Jasperking
10-09-2007, 04:37 PM
Yeah that was the same for me LiNuX. My bro broke my ps1 so i was happy when i got a ps2

lonewolfxix
10-10-2007, 08:26 AM
PC isn't always backwards compatible, i was in the vista beta and decided i wanted to play Soldat but I couldn't, and Dungeon Keeper is really hard when our processor runs at 2.8ghz and it doesn't have sound. lol.
Not all award-winning games are remade, look at the final fantasy's. MGS was, but the GC version wasn't as great as the ps1 version imo.

Jasperking
10-10-2007, 08:40 AM
so are you saying that we need backwards compatibility for the games that arnt going to be remade? lol

Metallica1983
10-10-2007, 08:42 PM
i think it does bcuz if u got a ps2 and u just bought a ps3 do u want a system that can play new games plus old ps2 games or do u want a system that just focuses on its own games personally i dont think next gen console sales wouldnt have been this high with out backwads compadibility

Archivist
10-15-2007, 10:19 PM
I guess the only way to know is if one of the leaders of the gaming industry offered a new platform with the option of backward compatibility or not.. and see which option sells more. Personally, I like backward compatibility... but I wonder how much more expensive backward compatibility makes a platform?... Does the platform need to be that much more sophisticated to process the old and the new?.. or is the technology being developed so that the new can't stand alone without the old?

Razor
10-16-2007, 02:08 AM
It does for me as i stopped playing the PS2 before God of war came out and i didn't have the oringinal xbox so i missed out on halo and i want to play doom 3 again

SchoolBus
10-16-2007, 03:16 AM
I think backwards compatibility is very important.... i mean what happens if my PS2 implodes how am i gunna play my games? eh? PS3 is the answer... (or buy a new ps2... but thats not the point >.<)

Also i hear ps3 messed up its backwards compatibility Because the polygons themselves aren't rendered in high def the entire image output is just put through a filter to make it look upscaled.
So the PS2 versions actually looked better on PS2 and looked like dirt on the PS3...:confused1:

Master_Dylmo
10-16-2007, 04:39 AM
i reckon its important basically 4 same reasons (hypathetically speakin.. i have 1 tv 1 ps2 and 1 ps3 i would sell my ps2 and just use my ps3 its way easier! + if for sum reason u want a game in ps2 but u have a ps3 backwards compatability would allow u to play it.. faw shizzle

2WheelinNFeelinIT
10-23-2007, 07:09 PM
The XBOX 360 ARCADE, is the newest edition to the 3 xbox models. It's replaces the old core system.
But is IT backwards compatible??

Jasperking
10-24-2007, 09:09 AM
yeah i think it is m8

Scott
10-24-2007, 10:09 AM
No it isn't it needs a HD and the Core doesnt have a HD so no.

SolidSnake
10-31-2007, 04:24 PM
Yeah, i think it still really matters. I dont see why they cant just put in backwards compatibility, and i mean full backwards compatibility in all of them (thanks to Wii with the Gamecube). I think sony made a big mistake by not putting it in the new PS3s, and Microsoft sure as hell could have put FULL backwards compatibility in the 360 (yes alot of games ARE but it would have made it way better to be able to play ALL xbox games on it, besides its only coming after one other system, surely...). So yea it matters alot, at least to me; now im not gonna NOT buy a 360 or PS3 for these reasons but it still , i think, is hurting the companyies' fanbase somewhat, aside from causing an inconveniace to gamers whos older systems will eventualy die (guess well then have to look to computers like with nes,n64,etc..). Bring back the backwards compatibility!