PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the Wii U

Trunks
01-30-2013, 06:55 PM
Just curious if anyone has a Wii U or if anyone plans to get one. I doubt I will, holding out for the next xbox or PlayStation, haven't decided yet. But anyone get to play the Wii U yet, or is anyone planning on getting one?

thedeparted
01-30-2013, 07:15 PM
I plan on waiting till we get game details and consoles details of the other 2 systems then i'll decide. They'll also need to get 3rd party games for it to be my first console.

Trunks
01-30-2013, 07:33 PM
3rd party games? Not sure what exactly that means. 3rd party as in low budget, like inde games?

thedeparted
01-30-2013, 07:39 PM
1st party= Stuff a console owns that has no chance of being on other systems. like mario/zelda will never leave nintendo, gran turismo and such will never leave sony, halo,forza never leave microsoft

2nd party= Companies that arent owned by the big 3 but contracted to do exclusives so long they may as well be 1st party, but can leave. Like for instance Insomniac was 2nd but now 3rd party

3rd party= companies that make games for everyone(sometimes will sign exclusive contracts for certain franchise) example EA, Capcom, Ubisoft are all 3rd party

Nintendo if you look back over the years has been sorta lacking in the 3rd party department. They need to go out and get those games, get a saints row on wii u , gta , mainline FF, mainline resident evil..ect

Trunks
01-30-2013, 07:55 PM
Oh yeah I see, I wonder why they do that, you think it would only hurt the business. I'm sure 3rd parties have to buy licenses to produce games on the system, you would think they'd want more.

thedeparted
01-30-2013, 08:00 PM
If I recall correctly how it started back in the day was royalties issues, In the ps1/n64 era it was cartridge costing more than cd and I think recall something about it hard to get more shipments fast enough for boom games. I dont know why anymore, I mean Wii so fast, yet 3rd parties really didnt put too much effort in it. Why? If they did Wii could be challenging PS2 sales instead of limping to 100 million(in the recent Nintendo report which released yesterday it was 800k shy). Also Wii U had a revised forecast downwards, if things dont shape soon(they wont games are 3 months out) We could be seeing a 50 dollar price cut.

Mizel
01-31-2013, 09:42 AM
I made the mistake of buying the Wii and never use it. It's cool for "party" or kiddie games.... like Mario Kart, Mario Party... but I never use it for anything else. To me, the controller is just not built for "real" games. Like I can not imagine playing Uncharted, or similar type games with it. At any rate, like Jak said... def needs 3rd party games. That was another Wii problem, not enough games for it. I'll hold out for awhile longer to see if it drops in price a lot, or for a really good sale, or to see if any of my friends get it. Doesn't help that I've not yet read 1 review talking the system up :/ I've read reviews saying that it's meh (nothing new and amazing) and reviews that said it was absolutely no better than the Wii... and I just can't see paying $300 for something I already have. And 85% of the WiiU game reviews are crap as well.

Honestly, kind of makes me sad. Like I said, just going off of reviews online/magazines and from the only friend that I know that has it and hearing that it's just not an amazing system makes me sad. I was hoping for something way better :(

norid
01-31-2013, 12:07 PM
The only game I would get for the Wii U is the new "Xenoblades" or whatever the game is, plus Zelda HD. But other than that I do not think I would get it. In all honesty I am probably stuck on the PS4 only because Kingdom Hearts 3 finally SEEMS to be in production. I say that because Square said that Dream Drop Distance would be the last game before 3, and Jesse McCartney release a photo and tweat saying "Working in the next chapter of Kingdom Hearts" but he had to remove it.
Sooooo there is a low chance I would get the Wii U, though it still looks to have some great games coming, just do not know how well they will preform.

Mizel
01-31-2013, 12:11 PM
Same here. Zelda HD and Pikmin 3 for me. But 2 games doesn't justify $300+ to me :3

norid
01-31-2013, 12:12 PM
Ohhhh Pikman 3, awesome. Plus Bayonetta 2. But eh idk how that will come off.

thedeparted
01-31-2013, 12:13 PM
It'll be interesting how that Yoshi yarn game turns out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlAj7ieX6wc

norid
01-31-2013, 12:16 PM
Ohhh I love the look though

ROFLBRYCE
01-31-2013, 04:10 PM
plus Zelda HD.

Man I was so disappointed that they weren't announcing the new one, but a remake. It was gonna be the clincher to make me buy a Wii-U :(

Same here. Zelda HD and Pikmin 3 for me. But 2 games doesn't justify $300+ to me :3

When I bought my xbox for $350, the only game I used it for for like 10 months was Halo 3, xD But I agree, it doesn't seem worth it right now for the couple of games that look /maybe/ kinda okay.

It'll be interesting how that Yoshi yarn game turns out.

I'm thinking if the Wii-U hits a price drop this is one of the ones I'm grabbing first thing. It looks pretty cool, and I've always like the Yoshi "spinoff" games. Yoshi Story holds a special place dear in my heart.

I actually managed to play with Wii-U at Walmart a few days back. The graphics were kinda disappointing to me, with how everyone's hyped them up. It's kinda like the 360/Ps3 though I guess. They have the power to do things with, they're just not quite utilizing it yet. Can't wait to see a Metroid game with the high-end graphics, though.

Mizel
02-01-2013, 07:43 AM
Man I was so disappointed that they weren't announcing the new one, but a remake. It was gonna be the clincher to make me buy a Wii-U :(

I refuse to spend hundreds on a system for one game. I just can't bring myself to do it D:

TheMangler187
02-01-2013, 08:18 AM
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Yarn Yoshi, Mario Kart, New 3D Mario, Wind Waker HD, Xenoblades 2, Beyonetta 2, eventually Smash Bros... 'nuff said. Absolutely love Monster Hunter. Comes out next month. Can't wait.

Mordry
02-08-2013, 06:55 AM

There will be two games and Wind Waker HD is just there as a "Bridge" to reduce the desire for a new Zelda game like it happened with Skyward Sword where the expectations went up to space.

thedeparted
02-08-2013, 08:46 AM
With Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 release this week(first week sales of 6,241 for those that care)

This is now the entire release chart for Wii U in the coming months. So unless someone comes out of no where and say we're releasing something really fast that you didnt know about or pushing something ahead(neither are likely)

02/21 Tank! Tank! Tank!
03/20 Need for Speed: Most Wanted - A Criterion ...
03/28 Game & Wario
05/23 BioHazard: Revelations - Unveiled Edition

Going to be a rough couple months for our fellow Japanese Wii U owners

Mordry
02-09-2013, 05:04 AM
05/23 BioHazard: Revelations - Unveiled Edition

You actually do know that the name of Resident Evil is "BioHazard" in Japan, right?

thedeparted
02-09-2013, 08:48 AM
You actually do know that the name of Resident Evil is "BioHazard" in Japan, right?

Im not following, what is your point of this post? Are coming at me and telling me I dont know gaming knowledge? Ordid you miss my point completely? Are you thinking Im saying its a small game? None the such, I posted the known dates of ALL the releases from now to June. 4 more games for 3 months is not good. Which is goes back to my point of Wii U needs games out. Otherwise it will continue to sell poorly

EpsilonX
02-09-2013, 10:15 PM
Honestly, I think it looks cool. I liked the Wii, but one of the things that bugged me was the fact that it wasn't really in HD. Plus, I really want Zombiu and that lego game coming out. We'll see.

Mordry
02-10-2013, 03:45 AM
Im not following, what is your point of this post? Are coming at me and telling me I dont know gaming knowledge? Ordid you miss my point completely? Are you thinking Im saying its a small game? None the such, I posted the known dates of ALL the releases from now to June. 4 more games for 3 months is not good. Which is goes back to my point of Wii U needs games out. Otherwise it will continue to sell poorly

Dude, calm down. I'm just, more or less, asking you why you didn't name it Resident Evil because that is a name that everyone is more familiar with. No reason to overreact.

thedeparted
02-10-2013, 07:51 AM
Because that list was for Japanese releases, so why not call it by its native names?

Mordry
02-10-2013, 11:07 AM
Because that list was for Japanese releases, so why not call it by its native names?

Just like I said: Resident Evil is a name that everyone in this forum knows. Also I don't quite get why games, that are going to be released in Japan, are somewhat interesting to us. For example: Tank! Tank! Tank! is already out since Wii U Launch in America and Europe. The other 3 games are not the only ones that are going to be released on the Wii U in America and Europe so... yeah. Why should we care about Japan and the japanese Wii U Games at the moment? If that, for some strange reason, sounds provocative again then I apologize.

thedeparted
02-10-2013, 11:39 AM
Because gaming is global, Why shouldn't we find it interesting the trends, the other gaming culture. This thread was called thoughts on Wii U, not what do you think going on for Wii U in NA and Europe. Also the point I was making and I believe I stated earlier or maybe I never did post my thoughts. Is the Wii U is currently lacking games. I bought a PS3 about 2 months after it's launch and waiting months for games, never again. Also I find it hilarious you generalize the forum thoughts about the word use of Resident Evil/Biohazard and find it funny only you are making a big deal about this. Next time I consider posting something of Japanese relevance I'll be sure to PM you and make sure its ok to post

Jaykub
02-10-2013, 11:44 AM
Calm down folks, he was posting Japanese releases, not America releases.

Mizel
02-10-2013, 11:46 AM
/popcorn :P

Mordry
02-10-2013, 12:34 PM
Also I find it hilarious you generalize the forum thoughts about the word use of Resident Evil/Biohazard and find it funny only you are making a big deal about this. Next time I consider posting something of Japanese relevance I'll be sure to PM you and make sure its ok to post

Yeeeeees suuuure... Are you in a bad mood today or why are you overreacting with every answer to me in this thread? To make this clear: I just wanted to point out that you could have just written Resident Evil as some sort of notice next to it because everyone may know Resident Evil but not everyone knows about it's japanese name BioHazard. THAT'S IT, there was no need for you to think that I was going to insult your knowledge of games, because I wasn't. But to end that stuff and if you think you feel better after I write this: I made a mistake. Better now or do we have to continue this **** even longer?
Anyway I do agree with you that the Wii U needs more games but it looks like that we are going to get a lot of Wii U games in fall and winter of 2013, I'll look forward to it especially since Iwata said that a new 3D Mario and a new Mario Kart will hit the Wii U in fall 2013 together with the Wind Waker Remake.

Echo
02-10-2013, 12:47 PM
I plan on getting no next gen console and save up for a gaming computer.
(or just upgrade the one I have)