PDA

View Full Version : Question about laptops

FattaT
10-12-2007, 06:44 AM
Hey

I need some help...
I'm in need of a laptop in the near future to full fill my designer needs. I'm going with Macs as adobe and other design programs are optimized for Mac OS.

The problem is which one would best suit my need.

I'm going to need it for high CPU / RAM usage programs such as 3D Studio Max and Flash MX.

So yea, any help would be great.

I'll send anyone that gives me useful information some GFP and +rep.

Thanks,
FattaT

diablo
10-12-2007, 08:25 AM
what about dell computers? they are good for everything you want to do and im happy with it :) not sure if others think its good but i know i do

FattaT
10-12-2007, 09:43 AM
Not good for what I want, Already have a couple of dell laptops and they are good, but not what I am after.

Mac are renowned for their laptops being used for graphical purposes. So yea, definitely wanting to go with a Mac Laptop.

Jasperking
10-12-2007, 11:02 AM
Hmm im guessing if you want a mac you should order the ones from apple.com they usually have the best prices and are nice looking.

BUT macs are expensive anyway

LiNuX
10-12-2007, 11:33 AM
go with IBM the thinkpad T-series - they are awesome

but if you will use it for graphics purposes you can get a mac, they are pretty good and they come preinstalled with photoshop element and stuff - but IBM computers are also very good, i have one right now and very satisfied lol but i have no photoshop on it to tell you how that works out

dell isnt that Great as many people claim it to be. Its just cheap and affordable, reason why many people like them and they buy without checkings the specs and end up getting a pc with 128 mb ram lol

lonewolfxix
10-12-2007, 07:04 PM
so everyone thinks a mac is best for design.. although all the programs you have listed seem to be multi format and you can get cheaper, better laptops running windows. And have you ever sat at a Mac and used it properly? If you really do want a mac, give me a price I'll recommend which one with which configuration. Oh and also, give me a list of programs you will use.

Metallica1983
10-12-2007, 10:32 PM
i would say GateWay laptop but ur goin to use a Mac laptop so idk

FattaT
10-13-2007, 01:41 AM
Price ain't a problem and I can get all Macs and all IBM's at government price...

I was thinking of going with Macs as they are made with their parts to work perfectly with the operating system.
The only other OS that allows that is linux, but with the lack of programs being created for linux I can't go with that. (Unless I run a windows emulator all the time, which I'm not doing).

So I guess either a good IBM laptop or good Mac laptop.

Some of the programs I need to have running.

The Adobe Design Premium Which contains:
Adobe: Flash, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign

Other Programs: 3D Studio Max, Maya, 3D Blender

I will not need the laptop the Render 3d models (as that would take ages) I am going to set up a separate box just for rendering.

lonewolfxix
10-15-2007, 02:15 AM
Why not just get a pc? designing isn't exactly a portable thing so one really good computer would be more than enough, and the sort of performance you get from a $2000 MAC you can get from a $600 pc (if you get it built)
So no need for a laptop that can render 3D? That's a relief because that's almost impossible.
So a MacBook Pro is probably the best to go for in this case which starts at $1999US and the only thing you can change to increase performance is increase the ammount of ram... which costs another $400, it may be worth getting the faster laptop with the Intel Core2Duo E6600 (2.40ghz) which costs $2499 and comes with a bigger harddrive. If the computer is for rendering, you may want to consider a mac pro with an nvidia quadroFX or if you want to build it yourself or get someone like dell you can go for the new AMD quadcores, they're amazingly fast and can be paired with upto 4 nvidia cards mac pro you should really choose atleast a 2xdual 2.66ghz with 4gb of ram and quadroFX 4500 for workstations, the other cards are useless for rendering

FattaT
10-15-2007, 02:20 AM
I will be getting a good desktop aswell, but I need a laptop for doing work @ Uni and clients locations.

Thanks for you help Lonewolf and everyone else who posted. Very much appreciated +rep to those who gave good info, and sending some GFP to you lonewolf.

lonewolfxix
10-15-2007, 01:57 PM
Why thank you lol.
tis np, tis what i do :P how come tis isn't underlined as an incorrect word? XD
If you know anyone who's good with building computers, AMD has the best workstation setup that can be bought by consumers right now, or Dell might build it but not sure there, 2x quadcores that are 33% faster than intel's :)

FattaT
10-15-2007, 05:40 PM
Yea I do.
I can do the physical building of the desktops myself, just need help with what parts to get, but yea, i have someone extremely experienced who can help.
Thanks again.