PDA

View Full Version : Mom loses leg, 2 Kids Hurt, one might die, in LA Road Rage Crash

Scott
10-14-2007, 11:22 AM
LOS ANGELES (AP) ? A road-rage crash critically injured a mother and her two small children, who were crushed between parked cars, police said Wednesday.

Two men were booked for investigation of attempted murder in connection with the crash Tuesday in the San Fernando Valley.

The drivers of a black Nissan Maxima and a red Chevrolet Camaro got into a dispute shortly after 3 p.m. Tuesday in the Van Nuys area and began racing and weaving along city streets at 50 mph to 90 mph, police said.

The cars were "cutting each other off, they were jockeying for position," Detective Bill Butos said. "They were tapping on the brakes, one of the vehicles was tapping on the brakes, trying to cause the other vehicle to ram into the vehicle."

In Reseda, the Camaro slammed on its brakes and the Nissan tried to avoid it and hit a parked car, Officer Jason Lee said.

A 31-year-old woman and her two children were smashed between parked cars.

Police did not release their names. However, relatives identified the woman as Syeda Arif.

The woman was in critical condition Wednesday at a hospital.

"She has lost one leg and the other leg is, unfortunately, crushed. They're trying to save that," Lee said.

Her 4-year-old son was hospitalized on life support and his 8 1/2-month old sister was hospitalized in critical condition, Lee said.

Witnesses said the younger child was "launched into the air and slammed against a tree, " police Capt. Ron Marbrey said.

Arif's husband, Amir Arif, told KCAL-TV that his son had massive brain damage.

"It's a matter of time that doctor will take out his life support ... my son dies," he said.

The Nissan driver, Armando Gamboa Ayon, 19, of Pacoima, was arrested at the scene and the Camaro's driver, Brian Barnes, 44, of Northridge, later surrendered at a police station. Both were booked for investigation of attempted murder and held on bail of $1.5 million each, police said.

"That could change if the 4-year-old ends up dying. It would be a murder charge," Lee said.

There was no answer at a phone number listed for a Brian Barnes in Northridge Wednesday evening. There was no listing for Gamboa Ayon in Pacoima or the surrounding area.

The crash was "entirely senseless, entirely the basis of two individuals that got into a contest of wills, if you will, over nothing more than a common traffic dispute ... over nothing more than whose car is on the roadway in front of the other person," Deputy Chief Michael Moore said.

Link (http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5ggaV92UXLcerzQqlymxIKWisiu0QD8S6QHN80)

Reminder to everyone. Don't be a jackass while driving, please.

Both men are being held on $1,000,000 bail and will face murder charges.

Ghost
10-14-2007, 11:31 AM
A proper sentence would be to have each of the people who did this be grouped with 2 relative and be forced to suffer the exact same consequence as a result. After a couple hundred innocent deaths caused by all this, I think it'd stem the tide of stupidity soon after....

NDM
10-14-2007, 11:32 AM
OMG so sad news poor guys...

Scott
10-14-2007, 11:34 AM
A proper sentence would be to have each of the people who did this be grouped with 2 relative and be forced to suffer the exact same consequence as a result. After a couple hundred innocent deaths caused by all this, I think it'd stem the tide of stupidity soon after....

Gee, that's not a stupid way to punish innocent people.

Ghost
10-14-2007, 11:35 AM
Gee, that's not a stupid way to punish innocent people.

innocent people? how are they innocent? they caused an accident, who cares if their family didn't do it. did that woman and her kids cause an accident? an eye for an eye is the only way to do justice.

StrikeHard
10-14-2007, 11:37 AM
Wow. Thank God the Camaro survived.

Ghost
10-14-2007, 11:38 AM

And that, is how you'll get banned.

Toxic
10-14-2007, 11:40 AM
Does it really matter if someone cuts you off? Just keep to yourself, swear with your windows rolled up and get over it. What's with people and trying to be badass in cars?

Scott
10-14-2007, 11:41 AM
innocent people? how are they innocent? they caused an accident, who cares if their family didn't do it. did that woman and her kids cause an accident? an eye for an eye is the only way to do justice.

The drivers aren't innocent, but their relatives are - and you proposed that killing their relatives is a fair exchange. Is that justice for the relatives? Of course not.

Ghost
10-14-2007, 11:42 AM
The drivers aren't innocent, but their relatives are - and you proposed that killing their relatives is a fair exchange. Is that justice for the relatives? Of course not.

true but the mother and children were innocent too
get my drift?

Toxic
10-14-2007, 11:44 AM
And that, is how you'll get banned.
He won't get banned. But he'll get the honorary douche bag award.

NDM
10-14-2007, 11:44 AM
Does it really matter if someone cuts you off? Just keep to yourself, swear with your windows rolled up and get over it. What's with people and trying to be badass in cars?

Toxic is right. Better what Toxic said then making somthing stupid and get arrested for it/killed.

Scott
10-14-2007, 11:45 AM
get my drift?

No, because the victim of any crime is innocent. That doesn't give you a warrant to kill other innocent people.

Toxic
10-14-2007, 11:55 AM
get my drift?

Just because someone in your family is irresponsible, that doesn't mean you should be held accountable.

What if your brother killed another mans brother, is it fair that you would have to die as well?

Scott
10-14-2007, 11:57 AM

Now that's a Stupid comment. You've been warned.

Mr Cool
10-14-2007, 12:40 PM
Smash Them! Vigilante Justice!

Toxic
10-14-2007, 12:46 PM
Smash Them! Vigilante Justice!

*Grabs pitch fork and tourch*

I perfer the stabbing and burning but it's all personal preference.

Mr Cool
10-14-2007, 01:00 PM
that is sad.
But both of these men are up ***** creek without a paddle. Their lives are essentially and fundamentally ruined. Forever. None of these sophomoric torture scenarios can hold a candle to what these two people see every time they close thier eyes to sleep.

Toxic
10-14-2007, 01:04 PM
that is sad.
But both of these men are up ***** creek without a paddle. Their lives are essentially and fundamentally ruined. Forever. None of these sophomoric torture scenarios can hold a candle to what these two people see every time they close thier eyes to sleep.

If this were your wife and kids, would you take comfort in the fact that the people responsible for potentially taking away one of your kids, possibly both, and causing the loss of your wifes leg, will suffer internally for the rest of the lives?

Mr Cool
10-14-2007, 01:06 PM
If this were your wife and kids, would you take comfort in the fact that the people responsible for potentially taking away one of your kids, possibly both, and causing the loss of your wifes leg, will suffer internally for the rest of the lives?

I take comfort in the fact that people who are personally affected by this sort of thing aren't the ones in charge of punishing the guilty.

Right is right and wrong is wrong regardless of how upset something makes you.

Toxic
10-14-2007, 01:09 PM
I take comfort in the fact that people who are personally affected by this sort of thing aren't the ones in charge of punishing the guilty.

Right is right and wrong is wrong regardless of how upset something makes you.

Don't skirt the question. Is that not how'd you feel, regardless of the law?

If your family was turned upside down because of two careless idiots (who might not even give two craps about the lives they've destroyed) how would you feel?

Scott
10-14-2007, 01:14 PM

If your family was turned upside down because of two careless idiots (who might not even give two craps about the lives they've destroyed) how would you feel?

What if, one day, a kid is born and his parents are killed. So he's thrown around from one foster family to another, his life fractured, no person to actually befriend or know for any significant period of time. He's abandoned by everyone. So to release his unbelievable depression and sadness he starts doing drugs, getting drunk. He has no other place to go to and no one has ever taught him better. So he grows up a low-life, never more than he could be because had nothing to begin with. He can't keep girlfriends or friends. One day he's driving drunk and does something like this - hurt or kill innocent people.

It's despicable. He should have known better. But maybe he didn't. Maybe he couldn't. Maybe neither you nor I have a complete understanding of the situation or the people involved and begging for their torture and death, let alone judging them at all in the first place, is a naive, misinformed act, based on nothing but personal emotional fulfillment and the constant human quest attention and acceptance.

StrikeHard
10-14-2007, 01:19 PM
What if, one day, a kid is born and his parents are killed. So he's thrown around from one foster family to another, his life fractured, no person to actually befriend or know for any significant period of time. He's abandoned by everyone. So to release his unbelievable depression and sadness he starts doing drugs, getting drunk. He has no other place to go to and no one has ever taught him better. So he grows up a low-life, never more than he could be because had nothing to begin with. He can't keep girlfriends or friends. One day he's driving drunk and does something like this - hurt or kill innocent people.

It's despicable. He should have known better. But maybe he didn't. Maybe he couldn't. Maybe neither you nor I have a complete understanding of the situation or the people involved and begging for their torture and death, let alone judging them at all in the first place, is a naive, misinformed act, based on nothing but personal emotional fulfillment and the constant human quest attention and acceptance.
OR maybe it was just 2 people that had no care about anyone around them.

Mr Cool
10-14-2007, 01:21 PM

Honestly, I have no idea, and if you think that you do, you're fooling yourself. I reckon that's one of those things you'd have to live through to actually have a perspective on.

My point is that there are many people who think they should respond to idiodic recklessness with idiotic cruelty. I don't suppose these two people deserve the death penalty, as they didn't kill anyone on purpose. But they do deserve to pay for their crimes to the fullest extent of the law, and that's (we hope) exactly what will happen to them.

Wishing for them to hurt or imagining how they should be tortured are really unhealthy thought processes.

snipeshootergal
10-14-2007, 03:43 PM
Wow that sucks... I hate cars ive been in soo many wrecks...