PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft: Winning Isn't About Winning (Say what?!)

Scott
10-14-2007, 12:18 PM
Link (http://kotaku.com/gaming/console-wars/microsoft-winning-isnt-about-winning-310224.php)

It's a simple question: is Microsoft poised to win the console wars? Microsoft Senior Regional Director of entertainment Neil Thompson had something not so simple to say in response:

I don't think it's as binary now as it was with the previous generation. It really depends on your criteria of 'winning'. Some people say it's how many boxes you ship, some say it's the amount of profit you make, some might judge it on how broad your offering is...I think when people look back on this in the future they will see this as a very successful stepping stone in Microsoft's broader entertainment vision.

The obvious translation?

Winning for Microsoft is really just competing, as their focus is still just to keep another industry giant from becoming the home entertainment PC, the box that hooks to your TV without running Microsoft software (just like it was in the days of Xbox the First). In that sense, Microsoft has secured enough of the market?but more importantly, presence in the market?that they will at minimum cockblock other companies from looking like undisputed entertainment leaders. Well, that's assuming Sony never gets their act together. And they are revving up in a major way and own a lot of their own entertainment properties...

Damn these times are fun.

Interview (http://www.mcvuk.com/interviews/134/MCV-INTERVIEW-Microsoft)

I'd say winning, is who takes the most market share. Gamecube came last-last gen and had the least market share, while Sony with the PS2 had the most. This time things are very different. Nintendo has the most, Microsoft has a larger chunk than they've had before, while Sony has lost a lot.

Either way, its a win-win for both Nintendo and Microsoft at the moment. Even if Nintendo "win" overall sales, Microsoft will still have taken market share from Sony and that my friends is a win in itself.

Ghost
10-14-2007, 12:21 PM
Microsft leaving the video game market confirmed!!!

Scott
10-14-2007, 12:26 PM
Microsft leaving the video game market confirmed!!!

i hope thats sarcasm. if its not you're sadly mislead

Jasperking
10-15-2007, 04:34 AM
I wish sony would come back to us with good ideas again. I dont really like MS i already got a pc lol

LiNuX
10-16-2007, 10:54 AM
winning isnt about winning is a classic quote - gonna save it now and send it in my signature everytime i contact microsoft with a problem, which hasnt happened yet lol