PDA

View Full Version : PS3 warranty voided by surge protector

Scott
10-17-2007, 12:11 PM
PS3 warranty voided by surge protector - 'great' pay up $150 say Sony

A member of the Playstation forums called up Sony regarding his four month old PS3 which had turned into a brick, with the trouble starting back a while ago when the system would just shut off. However, the Playstation rep wasn't interested in all that, as soon as he heard the gamer had used a high quality power surge protector, the rep remarked 'okay great, Sony can fix it right up for you for $150' as the year-long warranty was voided by the surge protector.

So I woke up yesterday morning and saw that my PS3 was not on. You know that little light letting you know it's getting power? That morning, no light. This happened once before, but I was able to unplug it and plug it back in to get power, and then it worked. I tried that yesterday morning, but nada. Nothing would work... it was completely dead and not getting power.

So I call Sony and let them know that my less-than 4 month old PS3 was now a brick. I tried to tell the guy that the trouble started when I first tried to play Call of Duty 3 a while back - it would just completely shut off the system and the only way to get it back on was to unplug it and replug it back in. (an issue that's been well-documented now in threads such as these.)

The service representative didn't care about any of that. Instead, he starts asking me a bunch of questions to try and void my warranty. Things like, "I want you to check the sticker above the hard drive and tell me if it looks damaged." I'm like, "no, no, no" to everything he's asking. Then he asks me if I had a power surge recently. Again, I tell him no, that I have all my electronics protected with a high quality power surge protector. He then says "okay, great, Sony can fix it right up for you for $150." I asked how long the warranty was, and he said a year... but then he tells me that I voided my warranty by plugging it in to a surge protector. I asked him if he was kidding me, and he says nope, the PS3 is only allowed to be plugged into the wall directly.

Source (http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3&thread.id=2041636)

Mr Cool
10-20-2007, 09:34 PM
I guess I'm not going to tell them that if I need to get it fixed.

Cov3rt
10-20-2007, 09:35 PM
Does Microsoft void your warranty if you try to protect your investment by using a power surge protector?

Ghost
10-20-2007, 09:36 PM
Is this real? Any PS3 owners still have their warranty, and does it really say they're off the hook if you use a surge protector?

Scott
10-21-2007, 02:23 PM
Does Microsoft void your warranty if you try to protect your investment by using a power surge protector?

Lol No they don't.

Toxic
10-21-2007, 04:35 PM
Customer: "My PS3 is hooked up, but I'm not seeing anything on the TV".

Sony Rep: "What kind of TV is it?"

Cust: "It's a Sharp Aquos 42" LCD"

Sony Rep: "Did you say Sharp? As in, not Sony? That'll be $150".

SolidSnake
10-31-2007, 04:34 PM
Hahaha thats bout how it would go down.

But yea, thats just rediculous, bad Sony!