PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft coming up with their own version of Home?

Scott
10-18-2007, 10:28 PM
Microsoft creating Home rival?
"By next year" you'll know, hints Microsoft

According to reports, Microsoft E&D GM Daniel Schiappa has hinted that a PlayStation Home-like virtual world will be coming to Xbox 360 within the next year.

According to Team Xbox, the Entertainment and Devices boss turned up on stage at the Virtual Worlds Conference And Expo in San Jose and stated: "...by next year, you'll probably know more about why I'm up here." Oo-eer.

Speaking to CVG earlier this year, fellow Microsoft suit Chris Satchell said that Sony's Home incorporated a lot of ideas that Xbox 360 originated, perhaps suggesting that its own MMO-style virtual world wouldn't be too much of a departure.

"I think they've definitely taken some concepts that we originated like achievements, but I think they're pushing in a different direction and we've sort of fundamentally got two different approaches going on here," he said.

"It's a cool world but it's like a little game by itself. Our approach is the other way around; it's that games are the center and that's the star of the show, that's what people buy the console for."

link (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=173714)

I can see MS coming out with something. Your thoughts?

Cov3rt
10-20-2007, 08:26 PM
I don't see why they would want a home like service if they are mocking Sony's attempt.

Riku-Nara
10-20-2007, 08:29 PM
dosen't sound better than home, but more people would buy it, since more people own 360's

Ghost
10-20-2007, 09:13 PM
What is "Home" on the PS3, what does it give you?

Sorry, I'm a little out of the loop where the PS3 is concearned.

Mr Cool
10-20-2007, 09:45 PM
What is "Home" on the PS3, what does it give you?

Sorry, I'm a little out of the loop where the PS3 is concearned.

Home on the PS3 is a 3d environment that mimics a real-world interface for gaming. Think of it this way. Imagine an MMO (like EverQuest) where everyone can walk around with an animated toon that is lifelike and somewhat realistic. They can chat just as they would in an MMO and go in and out of buildings (imagine a Marketplace storefront, or an XBLA store where you can buy XBLA games). Carry it out further and you could have players have individual apartments that your friends could enter, with your Trophy room (achievements) on display, etc. And of course, you can launch games from the environment.