PDA

View Full Version : Man refuses Jury Duty. Goes to jail.

Scott
10-18-2007, 10:55 PM
Unemployed carpet installer protests jury duty; judge finds him in contempt of court.
Edward L. Cardenas and George Hunter / The Detroit News

ROSEVILLE -- Michael Starrett admits he hasn't exactly been cooperative when Macomb County jury duty called.

He ignored the first summons because he was sick. When the second one came, he had back pain and forgot the date. The third time, he returned a questionnaire asking court officials to leave him alone and stop harassing him, the Roseville man acknowledged Wednesday.

"I didn't sign up for this bulls--t," he wrote. "I suggest you find somebody who gives a s--t."

But when he appeared in court Tuesday to explain his reluctance to join the jury pool, he ended up in a far more inconvenient place -- jail. He's due back in court Oct. 30 for a contempt of court hearing.

"I wasn't trying to screw the system," Starrett said from his home Wednesday, a day spending a few hours in jail before posting bond. "I can't do it 'under God.' I would be a total hypocrite."

Starrett, 38, an unemployed carpet installer, told Chief Circuit Judge Antonio Viviano he avoided service because he didn't believe in the criminal justice system, religion or God. He said he didn't want to take an oath or swear on a Bible.

Viviano was not amused.

"Do you think that because you have certain beliefs, that exempts you from civic duty?" the judge asked from the bench. "Let me tell you something, it doesn't. You can believe anything you want. That's the benefit of living in a free country."

County Clerk Carmella Sabaugh said she can't recall a similar case in which a reluctant juror was sent to jail. The county calls them in for show-cause hearings about twice a year, Sabaugh said. Thirty-four people were scheduled to appear along with Starrett on Tuesday; he was among five who did. The other four people who attended the hearing in Viviano's court were rescheduled for jury duty. Bench warrants were issued for the other 29.

"Most of the people really respond to the questionnaire," Sabaugh said. "People have to realize it is a civic duty and it is coming from the court."

Starrett said Wednesday he fully intended to cooperate when he appeared before Viviano. "I thought I was going to pay a fine. I know it was my fault," he said.

Policies vary in other counties.

Rebecca Young, jury office supervisor for Oakland County Circuit Court, said she has not had to issue a show-cause to absentee jurors in "quite some time." Reluctant jurors are sent two letters and then another one warning them about contempt of court, she said.

In Livingston County, the Circuit Court orders no-shows to appear in court to explain why they didn't appear for jury duty.

link (http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071018/METRO/710180377/1408/LOCAL)

I think "unemployed carpet installer" explains the situation entirely.

LiNuX
10-18-2007, 11:22 PM
lol haha, that sux for the guy, i predict a jury duty coming my way soon since i turned 18 not to long ago :/ it makes my parents mad lol, both of them served once last year haha

Toxic
10-18-2007, 11:35 PM
I think "unemployed carpet installer" explains the situation entirely.

Is 'Carpet Installer' really such a prestigious job that you hold onto the title after your fired?

Cov3rt
10-20-2007, 08:40 PM
Why even say he's a carpet installer if he's unemployed.

He didn't sign up for it? He did when he became an American.

Ghost
10-20-2007, 09:00 PM
Why even say he's a carpet installer if he's unemployed.

He didn't sign up for it? He did when he became an American.

And when did he become an American? I'm going to assume by virtue of being born. Sorry, but that's not my idea of signing up for something.

Cov3rt
10-20-2007, 09:29 PM
And when did he become an American? I'm going to assume by virtue of being born. Sorry, but that's not my idea of signing up for something.

If you want your rights and freedoms, then you have to give in return.

Mr Cool
10-20-2007, 09:37 PM

Actually, he became an American (for this purpose) when he turned 18 and decided to stay there.

If he didn't like what he was getting in to, he could have left.