PDA

View Full Version : Forum Upgraded Plus Game Reviews Section

LiNuX
10-19-2007, 05:15 PM
Well today was a pretty tense day for me since I have done a LOT on this forum for upgrades and addons and new modifications. Well as you can see, the forum has been upgraded to the latest version of vBulletin 3.6.8 and all your information is still here.

The forum was down for a little over two hours but it was worth it because I had a LOT of work done. Want to know about them? Sure I'll tell you :yes:

First the forum was shut down and backed up onto my computer. Then I downloaded the forum database from two different places for two different types of files :-) not necessary but I did it just incase one was corrupt.

Seond I upgraded the forum by uploading all fresh vb files and overriting all old files, this caused some of the modifications to uninstall.

Third, after the upgrade was done, I had to fix the templates so it looks the same as it did before and success.

Fourth, I upgraded the forum Arcade because it had a few bugs in it, this was probably the place where I spent the shortest amount of time.

Fifth, I installed the Game Reviews CMS as I promised I would. Sorry it was a few days late but I had to do it after the upgrade.

Sixth, I had to change the settings for the Game Reviews section for each membergroup at a time. This took about 15-20 minutes since there are a lot of usergroups and this includes public usergroups.

Seventh, I fixed up the categories of the Game Reviews Section and uploaded 4 pictures FattaT had made so far. I am still waiting for the rest of it lol, had to reuse some of them :laugh:

Eighth, I had to custom code the template files for the Game Reviews CMS because it originally had 3 columns and with our own column, it had 4 and the middle panel was too small to fit anything. I spent at least 30 minutes on this alone. Time eater because I had to do it to two working themes and I ran into a lot of errors. Along with this I had to fix the forum language for it to say reviews instead of journal :rolleyes1:

Ninth, I opened the forum back up and tested parts of it and it works perfectly, and now I am posting this to inform you all.

Enjoy our new features and if you experience any problems please let me know and comment on this thread. The New Game Reviewers will be Selected tomorrow and given information about their own staff board to discuss game reviews. Good luck to all that applied and once again Enjoy the forum features. More will come!

Thank you for being patient the past 2 hours, it would have taken me at least triple the time If I hadn't done it offline first :D

Regards,
LiNuX

conman1000
10-19-2007, 05:22 PM
What is the new journal part and when is the new tourtament starting?

Blackbird
10-19-2007, 05:32 PM
You shouldn't ask it here, nice on LinuX :D

LiNuX
10-19-2007, 05:37 PM
What is the new journal part and when is the new tourtament starting?

well its not really a journal lol - it is a Game Review section - click any Game Reviews link on the forum, there is one on the top, the navbar, and side bar - users will submit their reviews of games for other members and visitors, hopefully this will help into the growth of the forum, check the other sticky in this board about becoming a game reviewer or check the PM i just sent you and you can be a reviewer as well

tournament coming tomorrow

You shouldn't ask it here, nice on LinuX :D

actually he should ask his first question here lol, tourny one doesn't go here but i answered it anyway :-)

thank you!

Blackbird
10-19-2007, 05:47 PM
Yeah you have right, but why is it so nobody have writing here yet. But I should made a reviews sooner. :P

LiNuX
10-19-2007, 05:52 PM
Yeah you have right, but why is it so nobody have writing here yet. But I should made a reviews sooner. :P

i guess others think that the forum is still down lol

but if you want to submit reviews you must apply for it :)

Scott
10-20-2007, 04:53 PM
Lol I never noticed the forum was down. I wasn't feeling well :-(. I went to bed at 6pm and got up at 7pm .

LiNuX
10-20-2007, 09:42 PM
the forum was down for a little over 2 hours lol :D it would have been down today too because of all the dam errors :mad1:

but its all fixed now and i'll be adding on more options later - working on that Sig of the Week thing now since some of the graphics people want it - found two mods that wont work with me so I'll have to see if i can get permission to customize the codes to fit what i need lol :D

Mr Cool
10-20-2007, 10:13 PM
yea i noticed the forum was gone. i thought it was gone forever but were back yay!

LiNuX
10-20-2007, 10:18 PM
yea i noticed the forum was gone. i thought it was gone forever but were back yay!

we'll always be here lol, like microsoft, after i retire as chairman, someone else will take my spot :D wont happen for another 40-90 years

Metallica1983
10-20-2007, 11:00 PM
I hope we'll always be here this forum has taken over my life lol

LiNuX
10-20-2007, 11:01 PM
I hope we'll always be here this forum has taken over my life lol

good to know lol :D it took over my life for this whole day today lol, fixing more errors and stuff