PDA

View Full Version : Rumble Vest makes its debut

Scott
10-22-2007, 04:50 PM
link (http://us.i1.yimg.com/videogames.yahoo.com/feature/special-vest-lets-players-feel-video-game-blows/534921)

Special vest lets players feel video game blows
Virtual attacks in games can translate to physical sensations with new technology.

LOS ANGELES (AFP) - A US surgeon working on a "tele-health" breakthrough has devised a way for video game warriors to feel shots, stabs, slams, and hits dealt to their on-screen characters.

A vest designed by doctor Mark Ombrellaro uses air pressure and feedback from computer games to deliver pneumatic thumps to the spots on players' torsos where they would have been struck were they actually on the battlefields.

The "3rd Space" vest will make its US debut in November at a price of 189 dollars. It will be launched with the first-person shooter game "Call of Duty" and a custom-made title.

"It was originally designed as a medical device," Ombrellaro told AFP while letting gamers try the vest at the E for All video game exposition in Los Angeles.

"To give medical exams via the Internet to prisoners, the elderly, those in rural communities and other isolated people."

Visit Yahoo!'s Exclusive CALL OF DUTY 4 Launch Central

The medical version of the vest is more sophisticated, enabling doctors sitting at their computers to prod, poke and press patients' bodies from afar and get feedback on what they are virtually feeling, according to Ombrellaro.

That model is pending approval by the US Food and Drug Administration, which wants to be assured that diagnosis made using the vests are reliable.

"You can teleconference with patients but you are missing the hands-on," the vascular surgeon said. "Being able to do that is the last step to tele-health."

A 3rd Space vest that mimics the feeling of G-forces and turning pressures for flight and car games is to be launched early next year, after Ombrellaro's company TN Games finds exciting titles to match it with.

TN Games is based in technology giant Microsoft's home town of Redmond, Washington.

"We've had some Microsoft people check it out," Ombrellaro said.

I wonder how this will work?

Ghost
10-22-2007, 04:53 PM
What about headshots?

Scott
10-22-2007, 04:54 PM
What about headshots?

Never thought of that. It would be nice to add like a head band that vibrates when receiving a shot to the head

Ghost
10-22-2007, 04:57 PM
Or maybe pay a kid with a sponge covered bat to hit you wherever and whenever you are shot or attacked.

Toxic
10-22-2007, 06:30 PM
Or maybe pay a kid with a sponge covered bat to hit you wherever and whenever you are shot or attacked.

Pneumatic = Actual hits and slams / punches none of this vibration crap.

I want a head band that knocks you out if you get hs'd

Now imagine if it malfunction and punched you in the nuts.

Mr Cool
10-22-2007, 08:29 PM
What is this, 1994? They had a rumble vest way back when with a stupid speaker attached to your chest.

Scott
10-22-2007, 08:32 PM
What is this, 1994? They had a rumble vest way back when with a stupid speaker attached to your chest.

Technology has changed alot since then and why not give it another go? If it works out the way it sounds then I wouldnt mind getting one. I have my doubts still but Ill try to hope for the best. I dont even use rumble on my 360 because I think its a waste of time. Why rumble in my hand? If I want to feel an explosion I will turn up my SVS subwoofer. The vest, in theory, would be a better indicator of where you are getting shot (5.1 helps too). This also sounds like it would benefit players with no surround sound but players with surround sound it will only enhance the experience.

Im just as skeptical as alot of people are about this because usually companies market this stuff like its the next big thing and then it utterly fails to live up to how they described it or how you thought it would work.

ShakerMaker
10-22-2007, 08:32 PM
Someone with a pacemaker or undiagnosed heart problems is going to die wearing this thing.