PDA

View Full Version : Should MS Buy Valve?

Toxic
10-23-2007, 05:52 PM
With the Orange Box selling a sweet 348,049 units for the X360 last week and earning stellar reviews - for a port - should MS look into nabbing Valve? From their online development tools to their great reputation for a 'gamer's developer' it would prove a good move to match MS' much ballyhooed design tools to aid in development for the 360 and other gaming divisions.

In my opinion, HL2 (which I never experienced on the computer) is a superior off line game to any offerings of the Halo franchise. On-line may be a different story... Valve seems to be a step ahead the trends and often times the benchmark for most to look at meeting.

What's all of your opinions on this?

Scott
10-23-2007, 05:54 PM
The 360 doesn't need to buy game studios when the software sales are skyrocketing on their platform, every 3rd party title released has sold more on xbox360 than any platform. why buy when all everything is being handed to you for free. Just sit back and relax. The 360 isn't suffering 1st party, they just lost bizzare and bioware exclusively, any title they develop is still going to the 360 and sell the most.

Ghost
10-23-2007, 06:07 PM
ms should buy sony and nintendo

Scott
10-23-2007, 06:08 PM
ms should buy sony and nintendo

Quick, before EA does! :laugh:

Jasperking
10-24-2007, 09:12 AM
NOOO ms should not buy valve get that idea out of your head NOW

Toxic
10-24-2007, 10:52 AM
NOOO ms should not buy valve get that idea out of your head NOW

But why not?

Scott
10-24-2007, 10:55 AM
But why not?

Well They take years to make games.

Toxic
10-24-2007, 10:58 AM
I think Microsoft should just buy everything and the rights to make games period.

Scott
10-24-2007, 11:02 AM
"Why buy the cow when you get the milk for free?"

Couldn't resist saying that. MS hasn't purchased any more developers recently. In fact, they seem to have lost a few that would have been smarter purchases. Who knows if it was on purposes or if MS would prefer the same titles from a 3rd party developer....

Toxic
10-24-2007, 11:06 AM
It'd make sense for Microsoft. They could take Steam and adapt it to their flagging GFW community, integrating it into Windows and stuff. I'm sure Newell wouldn't mind another several million in Microsoft stock.

Scott
10-24-2007, 11:08 AM
What makes Valve great is there independence. Take that away and it all goes in a puff of smoke. They actually give things away for free to their community. Microsoft would destroy Valve's aesthetic with their autocratic corporate hand.

Steam and Valve are great as independent entities.

Toxic
10-24-2007, 11:10 AM
Well They take years to make games.

qft
but they are good games when they release

Jasperking
10-24-2007, 12:02 PM
yeah lol the orange box is good :) but i dunno what they will be making after they finish the whole half life 2 series

Scott
10-24-2007, 02:29 PM
yeah lol the orange box is good :) but i dunno what they will be making after they finish the whole half life 2 series

Well isn't there a Counter Strike on the way for 360?

wifi
10-25-2007, 02:09 PM
valve made half life and the counter strike games right?

microsoft can buy whatever company they want besides yahoo, google, adobe, and apple because those are too big lol :-P even for the big microsoft

lonewolfxix
10-25-2007, 04:23 PM
buying a developer costs lots of money which will take longer to earn back. microsoft don't make the best least buggy games i have seen. why buy a company for $xxxmillion and then pay a few $mill to make a game so they can make $50 off each game rather than just say "yeah.. you can put your game on our console.. it's $5000 for every 100,000 copies made." plus VALVe won't give up, they're one of the biggest developers and make more from being their own third party developer than if they were to be bought by a company.

LiNuX
10-25-2007, 04:31 PM
microsoft can still buy them and get the money slowly, they can afford to do that but they are smart enough to make their own products to compete with them instead, this way they dont lose any money and they gain from it at the same time

valve isn't a huge competition to MICROSOFT itself because valve is just a game developer, micosoft has its own OS lol