PDA

View Full Version : CD-Rom drive quits reading/pops open spontaniously

lexismom682
11-06-2007, 01:27 PM
While reading pc game discs, my cd-rom will quit reading them causing several problems while playing. CD-rom drive will also spontaniously open up for no appearant reason. Any advice or suggestions on what is causing this and how to fix it?? :eek1:

Thanks in advance :-)

LiNuX
11-06-2007, 03:18 PM
do you get any error messages from that? or does that just happen? it could be a glitch in the game itself or something in the game is telling the cd tray to eject - is it only when you play that game?

what game is it?

lonewolfxix
11-06-2007, 04:03 PM
please give more information as to what is happening, it'll help us solve the problem faster.

lexismom682
11-06-2007, 07:28 PM
No error messages when the CD drive quits reading or when it pops open.

As for the drive opening, it's very spontanious. Just earlier today it opened while I was in the other room and the computer was doing nothing. No programs running, no disks in the drive or anything.

I don't recall the particular game that this happened the most with as I am not on that computer at this time but can find out and post later.

LiNuX
11-06-2007, 07:31 PM
maybe something is wrong with the information being put to it, reinstalling the drive could work but im not sure - i'll suggest you wait for lonewolf to come, he knows more :)

lonewolfxix
11-07-2007, 01:54 AM
I had a look online about other people with this problem, the PC's most susceptible seem to be Dell's and GateWay's, it's not a software fault in most cases nor is it the PC's fault and half the time it's just the drive, but process of elimination - like most cases - is one of the best ways to diagnose the problem, if you have anything that will open your CD Drive whenever it wants (Roxio, Nero, Windows Media Player) it maybe worth quitting/uninstalling them and making sure their process is down for good and see if it occurs after that, if it does, then it's probably a hardware fault in the drive which is the most common case but this will cost about $10-$25+ a little bit of PC know-how to do or maybe $50 for your local store to do it. If your computer is still under warranty it may be worth chasing them up for this fix as it is included under the warranty if there is any left and based it covers parts & labour..

lexismom682
11-07-2007, 09:43 AM
I had googled the problem myself to see if I could figure it out, hense how I ended up here. This site showed up as one of the search results. :-) My computer is an HP, so I really didn't put much thought into reading the results dealing with Dell's or Gateway's. What would cause Windows Media Player to make the CD-Rom drive to open on it's own? :mask:

Thanks!

wifi
11-07-2007, 10:25 AM
that seems like a bit of a problem does it do that like everytime u turn on ur computer? it will drive me crazy to close it everytime lol :-P

lexismom682
11-07-2007, 12:47 PM
It doesn't do it when i start my computer, it's very random.

lonewolfxix
11-11-2007, 05:02 PM
Windows Media Player may open it at random thinking it might of finished creating a cd or maybe starting. it could also be some virus or something... tried scanning your computer?

lexismom682
11-11-2007, 06:42 PM
I have McAfee's and nothing has ever shown up, I also have spyware blaster and adaware on the side. Is windows media player easy to download once taken off if it's determined that the player isn't the problem?

Strickin
11-11-2007, 06:44 PM
Try cleaning your disk and tray

LiNuX
11-11-2007, 07:39 PM
yeah its easy to download - just follow the link below and you'll get to download right away -

Download WMP (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/AllDownloads.aspx?displang=en&qstechnology=)

lonewolfxix
11-12-2007, 03:11 AM
rational idea by strickin, why didn't i think that, try cleaning the media before blaming the drive/pc. WMP can't officially be removed from a pc so basically try keeping it closed (and any of it's tools.. i don't know if it has any, i don't have WMP installed - custom windows :) ) and see if your drive still spontaneously opens, mcafee is decent but you'll never find all viruses with one antivirus programs but try running it over night it may find something, other than that i'm running out of ideas... when you press the eject button is there any delay to when it opens/closes?