PDA

View Full Version : [Opinion Piece] - A Gaming Dad's Lament: Where are the AAA "Hard Casual" Games?

Scott
11-07-2007, 07:34 AM
link (http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/levelup/archive/2007/11/05/why-no-aaa-games-for-the-hardcasual-player.aspx)

If a game's too short, someone complains.
Too long, someone complains.

You can't please everybody.

Ghost
11-07-2007, 07:50 AM
the guy sounds pretty selfish to me.

Scott
11-07-2007, 07:51 AM
It's not selfish, it's more kinda like demanding. Thing is, he's in that era where games can be considered as "short" & "fit for casual hardcore" with "a good saving system" (quicksave, auto/chekpoint save, save anywhere). He just doesn't know where to look.

Toxic
11-07-2007, 08:10 AM
I am outraged! This piece does not even touch on the obvious need for RPG games with play times in the range of 22 to 2.34 hours that star a blue-skinned elf where the difficulty ranges from easy in the beginning, to hell in the middle, to merely difficult at the end, and which contains a surprise ending chapter which is astonishingly easy, and which also largely features the plight of the Dodo bird.

If the games industry can't even meet these simple demands....

DeadCell
11-07-2007, 08:22 AM
it's a valid good point i never really considered before.

i've noticed that with handheld games, it is a make-or-break thing for me.
sometimes i have been long before a save on a console game and just turned the console off because there was no time to get to a save point.

also if i only have a few hours to game, sometimes i feel it's "not enough" or i'll lose track of time and will miss class/work/etc.