PDA

View Full Version : Installing Linux

LiNuX
11-17-2007, 09:00 PM
Linux is an operating system for those that didnt know so I am not talking about installing myself :eek1:

Well anyway I do plan to build that server soon and I want to run CentOS on it which is a version of Linux and it was recommended by a friend of mine. I wanted to know ask if anyone else has any experience installing this.

I am now downloading CentOS Version 5.0 i386 - it is about 3.5 GB in size and its gonna take about an hour to download with my speed. I am downloading the iso image and will burn to a dvd. Anyone knows if this version is good or want to recommend me another one?

Responses before tuesday night appreciated lol :-) thanks!

LiNuX <= ThE aDmIn

El3mentGamer
11-18-2007, 01:59 PM
could i have a lil more info about... "linux"?

jakncoke
11-18-2007, 02:05 PM
I always thought about installing Ubunta to my PS3 but was always scared off, Is it hard to operate? What would be my benefits?

LiNuX
11-18-2007, 02:14 PM
well i heard ubuntu isnt good - unless there is another called ubuntA lol - it isn't "hard" per say but you'll have to know the original commands for it - you won't be able to install too many things on there - the only reason im going to install CentOS because it was recommended by like 20 friends of mine that own servers and its great - RedHat Linux came in second

Also I can't tell you if its hard to operate since i never operated one directly as i am about to do now.

Benefits: Safer from viruses and hacks - much better than windows and mac imo. It is also stable for game servers, web hosting, etc.. If you are going to use it to play games, i'd recommend that you don't do that because you won't be happy lol

@elementgamer - Linux is an operating system like Windows and Macintosh - it is much older and much safer from viruses and what not - you can google linux and see what comes up - new versions of linux are always coming out - the latest centos version is 5.0 and that's what i downloaded last nite

jakncoke
11-18-2007, 02:19 PM
I think that's the best the PS3 will run, I've heard yellowdog is capable as well, well on my PS3 I don't have to worry about hacks or viruses, so game..you mean like snes roms?

LiNuX
11-18-2007, 02:23 PM
i dont think snes roms will work either, you'll have to find an emulator that works with linux and i have used some in the past and most of them say windows or mac - but again i am not sure - I haven't installed it yet and i probably wont be able to for at least another 4 days so i can't give you an answer with 100% certainty

Metallica1983
11-18-2007, 07:02 PM
i had always thought linux was a router i got it confused with linkyss

LiNuX
11-18-2007, 07:05 PM
i had always thought linux was a router i got it confused with linkyss

ROFL ahahaha :laugh: thats funny

i have a linksys router and a soon to come linux operating server :D

jakncoke
11-18-2007, 07:47 PM
I bought 1 of those routers for 70 right after I bought my Ps3 and then found out it wasn't good enough to run 2 computer's and the PS3 connection, so I ordered 1 through Verizon for 126 and it has been fine since, It seems I overpayed twice...did I?

wifi
11-19-2007, 10:22 AM
lol linux installing linux nice :-P good luck with it

Jenatello
11-19-2007, 12:16 PM
I love how nerdy this thread is. ;-) Makes me smile and giggle a little bit. Don't be mad.... nerds are hot.

LiNuX
11-19-2007, 12:34 PM
I bought 1 of those routers for 70 right after I bought my Ps3 and then found out it wasn't good enough to run 2 computer's and the PS3 connection, so I ordered 1 through Verizon for 126 and it has been fine since, It seems I overpayed twice...did I?

yea u overpaid - but on ur first router since it never worked - did you ever return it?

the second router thru verizon seems to be ok - i have a linksys that i bought for around $80 when it came out

lol linux installing linux nice :-P good luck with it

I love how nerdy this thread is. ;-) Makes me smile and giggle a little bit. Don't be mad.... nerds are hot.

lol we prefer the term techies :twitcy: nerds are the coolest people around lol -

diablo
11-20-2007, 12:28 PM
good luck linux, so you think centos is better than the rest?

jakncoke
11-22-2007, 01:00 AM
yea u overpaid - but on ur first router since it never worked - did you ever return it?

Nahh, I just set it aside to collect dust.

LiNuX
11-22-2007, 01:04 AM
then definitely a waste of money lol

i actually used CentOS and it gives me errors when i run game servers so i may try out Redhat tomorrow but i hear it costs money lol, that could be a pain

diablo
11-26-2007, 10:46 AM
did you build the server yet linux?

LiNuX
11-26-2007, 07:37 PM
yes i did, it works fine - just have to fix the internet issue and get a new ram card

ksangeelee
08-26-2008, 05:14 PM
I totally adore Debian - Ubuntu is derived from it. It's so consistent and dependable, and everything just makes sense (once you become familiar with it, of course). CentOS is RedHat compiled by other people, but it's pretty much exactly the same, so you've got a great support network with the one you've chosen.

LiNuX
08-26-2008, 05:32 PM
I totally adore Debian - Ubuntu is derived from it. It's so consistent and dependable, and everything just makes sense (once you become familiar with it, of course). CentOS is RedHat compiled by other people, but it's pretty much exactly the same, so you've got a great support network with the one you've chosen.

haven't tried ubuntu or debian thoroughly - CentOS, Redhat, and Fedora are the ones I can say I have "experience" with - most exp with Fedora and I know it is reliable, it's also made from Redhat which is decent too.