PDA

View Full Version : Since Ratchet and Clank PS3 bombed, is Insomniac going to go multiplatform?

DeadCell
11-23-2007, 05:45 PM
Resistance struggled to make 1 million and did not make them back much money, if at all. Ratchet joined PGR4 as the fourth game in a series to bomb like an H-bomb last NPD, not even clearing 80,000 after the first 2 weeks. As we all know, most of a game's sales are frontloaded, meaning that R&CF will be lucky to see 125,000 when all is said and done. The definition of a financial bomb.

The question remains, how can Insomniac continue to justify being officially a third party dev, yet continues to sink revenue solely into the PS3 which has been nothing but a sinkhole to them? Especially when third parties have been dancing with riches on the 360 in comparison? Someone has to keep the lights on at the studio, right?

jakncoke
11-23-2007, 05:58 PM
Your facts are skewed,

1) Ratchet and Clank has already reached 125k
2) No they aren't going multi-plat cause there not 3rd party...there 2nd party(Sony would never allow them to leave, they pump a lot of money into them and Naughty Dog)
3) RFOM passed 2 million months ago and is at about 2.1, also 1 million still would have garnered a major profit.

You can keep wishing though if your on the 360 fanboy side, your just going to have to get a PS3 to enjoy the awesome work of Imsomniac, that being said I am ashamed that PS3 owners ignored the greatness of Ratchet and Clank.

Scott
11-23-2007, 10:13 PM
Umm...no.

If nothing else, I believe Insomniac is contractually obligated to the PS3 for the remainder of this generation.

Mr Cool
11-23-2007, 10:25 PM
Well resistance has sold 2million and is still selling

Ghost
11-24-2007, 12:47 AM
i dont care if RnC bombed or not, im just happy as long as i get the chance to play great games like it.

Master_Dylmo
11-24-2007, 06:35 AM
that game is pretty good... i reckon they should make a new game w/ bettergraphics a more stealty game ut w/ most of those guns and gadgets that would b cool... i would like 2 see a gadgety version of hitman... or splinter cell

Scott
11-24-2007, 02:10 PM
i dont care if RnC bombed or not, im just happy as long as i get the chance to play great games like it.

Well if a game bombs it usually means there wont be more games like.

Toxic
11-24-2007, 10:06 PM
Well resistance has sold 2million and is still selling

And why? Because there's nothing better on the PS3. What would people buy at launch if there was no Motorstorm or Resistance?

Scott
11-24-2007, 10:11 PM
And why? Because there's nothing better on the PS3. What would people buy at launch if there was no Motorstorm or Resistance?

There was no Motorstorm at Launch.

Supermoose
11-24-2007, 10:39 PM
Resistance struggled to make 1 million and did not make them back much money, if at all. Ratchet joined PGR4 as the fourth game in a series to bomb like an H-bomb last NPD, not even clearing 80,000 after the first 2 weeks. As we all know, most of a game's sales are frontloaded, meaning that R&CF will be lucky to see 125,000 when all is said and done. The definition of a financial bomb.

The question remains, how can Insomniac continue to justify being officially a third party dev, yet continues to sink revenue solely into the PS3 which has been nothing but a sinkhole to them? Especially when third parties have been dancing with riches on the 360 in comparison? Someone has to keep the lights on at the studio, right?

1. resistance has sold 2mill worldwide and is still selling, that is officially a hit and must of made them a good chunk of cash.

2. insomniac is 2nd party, they get funding from sony to make games for them and free advertising, so they dont lose alot of money even if a game bombs as sony finances them.

3. R and C still hasnt had a full month on sale in the US so we dont know what its legs are like and we dont know what its sales in europe are either, i think it will do at least 1mill worldwide when all is said and done, as xmas is coming up and people need games to buy for their newly acquired ps3's, which should make them a profit, even so, as 2nd party they have a buffer from sony in the financial terms so they can easily afford one bomb, especially when resistance is bringing them in so much revenue and the sequel to it is coming next year which is guaranteed to be a hit.

4. dont make a thread when you dont know what your talking about, stating things that aren't true hurt your arguement and make you look like an idiot.

Toxic
11-24-2007, 10:40 PM
There was no Motorstorm at Launch.

Even better, that explains even more why Resistance sold so much then.

Monkeyboy
11-26-2007, 01:48 AM

It's also a sick game.

This is like asking why PDZ has sold a million+. 360 had no games at launch too.

jakncoke
11-26-2007, 01:54 AM
Even better, that explains even more why Resistance sold so much then.

Doesn't change the fact that it's an awesome game and it's sales were defiantly deserving. Motorstorm on the other hand while awesome for a bit doesn't deserve to be a million seller and should have sold at 30 bucks as that's about as much content we got with it, that being said I'm looking forward to what they improve with 2, :crosses fingers: hopefully more environments , tracks and better loading times make the list

TeknoVagrant
11-26-2007, 05:59 AM
Insomniac will continue to make R&C and Resistance games for the PS3 exclusively. Unfortunately, they released R&C at the wrong time. People need to understand that early PS3 adopters are either a) older hardcore gamers with a decent amount of discretionary income or b) older videophiles looking for a relatively inexpensive Blu Ray/Media player. Neither demographic really fits the R&C target audience. Hopefully, Sony has figured out that they desperately need to expand their install base so that games like these will sell. The price drop seems like a good first step.

Toxic
11-26-2007, 06:13 AM
It's also a sick game.

This is like asking why PDZ has sold a million+. 360 had no games at launch too.

Yes indeed. But there's a little difference here. Apparently its prequel was a huge hit, people expected PDZ to be the same.

Cov3rt
11-26-2007, 06:23 AM
Yeah, if R&C bombed then so did Halo 3.

jakncoke
11-26-2007, 02:43 PM
Well if a game bombs it usually means there wont be more games like.

If Sony wants to fund another one they will as they are not short on money and it's way to early to call it a complete bomb as we don't know how long the sales will last. Also they have 5 previous and this is 6th.

Yeah, if R&C bombed then so did Halo 3.

Ratchet and Clank is at about 125k WW and Halo 3 is at about 5 million WW, how in the hell do you figure they are the same?

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3164480

first month US sales for Ratchet and Clank games, lower than all but 1 but clearly not a total bomb like the OP wants you to believe and speaking of that where is the OP I want some discussion outta of him and see how much of a blind fanboy he is,

Also this thread is in the wrong section R@C is considered in the Platformer genre.