PDA

View Full Version : Help me with some new info!

r3dhawk
11-29-2007, 05:38 AM
Hi,
I have an Intel P965 motherboard, Intel core 2 duo E6300 1.8GHz, a 400W smps, 1GB DDR2 ram at 533MHz.
I am planning to buy an Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT 512MB card.
I keep running my system 24/7. I very rarely switch it off and that too it'll be off for just an hour max.

Please tell me with respect to addition of the card,
1) if my mobo supports that card,
2) if my smps power wattage is fine,
3) if i need to buy an external cooling system,
4) if the heat factor is manageable,
5) if runnin my system along with the card consume lot of power.
6) I will also be running linux, probably ubuntu or slackware. It should work with the card, rite?
7) I am currently using 80 GB IDE HDD at 7200rpm, but may shift to a SATA HDD soon after i buy the card.

In case there is any extra information that i need to know and have missed asking, please do let me know..
Thanks in advance...

LiNuX
11-29-2007, 10:42 AM
r u going to run a server? and are you going to play games on that server or just set up something?

r3dhawk
11-29-2007, 10:22 PM
No, i wont be running any server.. actually i keep downloadin stuff.. and hence never switch it off..
i will only be using the system to play high end games and probably applications like maya, 3ds max..

LiNuX
11-29-2007, 10:31 PM
you have to check the limitations of graphics card for the motherboards - google it or something lol - is there a particular brand to that motherboard? like foxconn, asus, etc..

OneArmProdigee
11-30-2007, 10:34 PM
It should work NVIDIA GeForce is such a famous brand when it comes to graphics cards and well being intel it'll definatly support it give it a go tell me if it doesnt work out if it doesnt not just put your old display driver back in

Raw!
12-03-2007, 07:38 PM
Moved to computer help. If, for some reason other moderators find this as a non fitting board for this question, please tell me, and I'll make sure to leave these types of threads alone. But by me understanding, this belongs in the computer help forum. Thank you very much. Any further questions (members) as to why I moved this you can PM me. Thank you very much.

Dunny774
12-16-2007, 01:36 PM
remember sometimes the processor is not fast enough for some graphics card

lonewolfxix
12-21-2007, 10:14 AM
Never fear, Lonewolf is here!

1) Yes, your motherboard supports that card
2) what is your power supply? I'll check for you, 400watt is probably not enough, but check the brand and model etc.
3) what sort of fans are you running? intake and exhaust etc, i'll tell you if you need more
4) refer to 3
5) Yes it will consume power, refer to 2 i'll tell you if you need a new one.
6) Yes, but installing drivers is a bit more difficult on linux, but it will work :)
7) This matters why? either way it's fine.. so your CD drive and harddrive are on the same IDE channel? ouch.

Though I will say.. your processor and RAM is extremely low for such a card, even my pc which has double the ram at a faster speed and a sightly better processor will be a bottleneck for such a card.