PDA

View Full Version : Moving Servers This Weekend

LiNuX
11-29-2007, 04:40 PM
Well November was a pretty horrible month for me and the forum and I am hoping that December is better. So this Saturday which is December 1st, you can expect a few hours forum downtime because I have found a new host I can go to for now at least. I will try them out and if they are good I will keep with them.

I will try to keep the downtime as minimal as possible so please don't think we've shut down :-)

As you can see we have a new sponsor called Gaming Lagoon - the money from the link purchase will go towards the new server bills. Just in time I should add because I was going to go ahead and use my own money for a new server.

Well thank you Gaming Lagoon!

And expect a downtime on saturday - this is a 2 day notice for all of you :D

Regards,
LiNuX

conman1000
11-29-2007, 04:42 PM
Ok, good, I was getting pretty annoyed at it being so slow.

LiNuX
11-29-2007, 04:44 PM

lol you have no idea - i have about 4 other sites hosted on this server, really annoying when they all lag at the same time - and it's a completely new and different host - hoping the server time is synced with the forum database so the time is right :-)

i just had the idea of how I can move the server with maybe a max of 30 minutes downtime :D that could be a new record because usually it takes 2-4 hrs for a forum this size

Blackbird
11-29-2007, 04:45 PM
Nice job Linux, now you don't have to pay hehe xD

LiNuX
11-29-2007, 04:48 PM
Nice job Linux, now you don't have to pay hehe xD

yeah but i still have to do all the work and take all that time - even if we didnt get the sponsor in time, I'd still move the forum - the sponsor's funds will cover about the next 3 month's host fees :D so you can assume I will pay my host for all three months in advance - nothing to lose or gain on my end

And another warning: if forum acts weird for you as in posts disppear or it seems to slow down during the move - it's just the domain name servers trying to update - that can take about 24 hours and it can get annoying - more annoying than lag

Strickin
11-29-2007, 04:49 PM
I sure hope this host is a lot better! i dont like it when im cut off from the forums >.<

LiNuX
11-29-2007, 04:56 PM
heh..well tomorrow I will try to post the exact time the forum will go down so you guys can go do something else for that 30 mins or so :-) probably going to end up being an hour assuming the nameservers take time to update

Blackbird
11-29-2007, 04:56 PM
There is never a site to Europe people some offer stuff and other think. Anyway the site seem to be stabile then when it used to be

Metallica1983
11-30-2007, 06:23 PM
I sure hope this host is a lot better! i dont like it when im cut off from the forums >.<

i think we all hope this one is better

yeah so wuz i

GF Eric
11-30-2007, 07:15 PM
Lets hope this one is good. http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/2684/character0182ij7.gif (http://imageshack.us)

LiNuX
12-01-2007, 12:09 AM
forum is planned to move out tomorrow from 12 PM to 5 PM eastern time (-5 GMT) - I will try to keep the downtime as low as possible but i cannot control name server changes so you may feel the forum acting weird for hours after the move

conman1000
12-01-2007, 08:20 AM
Ok, I will probaly be watching football around that time anyways, but I'll be back the second the Panthers start losing badly.

jakncoke
12-01-2007, 08:23 AM
Ok, I will probaly be watching football around that time anyways, but I'll be back the second the Panthers start losing badly.

Are you referring to Pitt Panthers?