PDA

View Full Version : KOTOR vs. Mass Effect

Toxic
12-04-2007, 01:13 AM
Now that people have had a chance to play ME, do you think it's as good as KOTOR, better?

Personally, I preferred KOTOR mainly because I loved the combat system, although Mass Effect's is really great too (best real-time RPG battle system I've played), but KOTOR's battle system was much more strategic, which is what RPG's should be.

TeknoVagrant
12-04-2007, 06:01 AM
Hard for me to say. Graphics and dialogue system are generally very good in Mass Effect and much better than KOTORs. The force powers in KOTOR were much cooler than the Mass Effect biotics (basically boring biotics that equate to a force push, force lift, and boring buffs and debuffs). Mass Effects combat system is decent but not great, I liked KOTORs queuing combat system quite a bit. And I gotta say, getting your lightsaber(s) in KOTOR just felt really cool, it was a defining video game moment for me.

Overall, Mass Effect feels like a streamlined, better looking KOTOR with a somewhat boring renamed Star Wars Force system. I like it quite a bit, but it definitely would have benefited from more bug squashing before release as well as cooler powers.

Supermoose
12-04-2007, 06:02 AM
I think Kotor is better, but ME is good.

I just wish they would have made a setup where you could use more then 1 biotic/tech power at a time before going back to the menu to choose another power.

ie: example holding both the RT & LT buttons allow you to map 4 biotic/tech power to the 4 face buttons. Once you have them mapped, another of press of both RT & LT or combo of buttons lets you use your mapped power.

Or Map them to the Dpad as it wasn't really used : up +A = marksmen down +A = unity something like that.

Saving is another issue, while it isn't a biggie to manually save, you have to save often and it takes you out of the game imo.

And the main quest should be more than 3-4 planets, sorry.

ME is good,but KOTOR was better.

DeadCell
12-05-2007, 08:04 AM
Now that people have had a chance to play ME, do you think it's as good as KOTOR, better?

Personally, I preferred KOTOR mainly because I loved the combat system, although Mass Effect's is really great too (best real-time RPG battle system I've played), but KOTOR's battle system was much more strategic, which is what RPG's should be.

thats exactly why i like me better i like the real time strategy

Scott
12-05-2007, 09:10 AM
Not sure, I haven't played ME yet but from what I have heard it's not as good.

GF Eric
12-21-2007, 07:11 PM
KOTOR for sure. I have both games and I like being a Sith Lord. I wouldn't go with Mass Effect Cause its just like KOTOR except its a Next Gen title.

Fate
01-09-2008, 12:41 PM
YEAH!!
Knights FTW!!

Revan
07-19-2008, 04:25 PM
mass effect is a good game but kotor take the win cos of its excellent combat system and it has a better story line .......i mean wats more exciting than being a sith lord yes i !!!!!!!!

Trunks
07-19-2008, 04:28 PM
I say, Mass effect for the win. 10 times better.

Scott
07-19-2008, 04:58 PM
I'd say KOTOR. It had a better story and a better ending.