PDA

View Full Version : Could the Cell Processor become obsellete?

Toxic
12-04-2007, 01:36 AM
Well, i've been reading articles on General purpose GPUs or GPGPU and basically, amd and nvidia are both coming out with them. So what will this do to the cell processor since the cell has always been that general purpose parallel environment?

Supermoose
12-04-2007, 05:43 AM
Since the current Cell at least outstrips the G80 (8800) in at least one graphics related task, I'd say no, and thats only the current day ones. though obviously everything will become obsolete one day.

TeknoVagrant
12-04-2007, 05:44 AM
Seeing as how the Cell really hasnt established itself in any relevant market outside of the PS3 Im not sure how one would determine whether it could become obsolete. For the cell to be become obsolete it needs to be in the hands of more consumers in more generalized scenarios, as it is right now its primarily a proprietary processor.

All of these benchmarks and what not surrounding the cell are great but until it establishes a market there really is no inherent point.

Scott
12-04-2007, 11:25 AM
I'm not so sure, what they've got coming down the pipeline in regards to gpgpus blows the specs on the cell processor away, and remember nvidia and amd have far more experience with these types of processors than ibm/sony.